Post-Game Talk: #1 - Rangers @ Hawks [Warning #102]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Girardi and Staal were very bad tonight. I hope they get it in gear.

Most of the D was pretty bad. McDonagh was alright, Yandle was alright, the rest of them varied between OK and plain bad most of the night, but yeah Girardi in particular struggled hard.

Lindberg looked good, he moves around on the ice well and seems to always be moving fast whether he's skating or gliding or what. Stalberg was effective if not creative. Kreider was more effective at staying engaged and wouldn't have been surprised if he had a goal or so in that game, played well overall but needs to hit the net with some of his shots

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
And, as always, people seem to be mistaking the defensive scheme the Rangers play when they have the lead in the final 30 minutes to be lazy or watching.

The team won like 40 games last season in this exact manner.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Zero backcheck. He coast the way back just frustrated the **** out of me.

Then can I talk about all the absolutely horrific plays Girardi made all game? I literally can't remember a single good play that Girardi made besides that pokecheck that stopped a goal, even though Stoll was on the guy anyways.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Relax everyone who is pissed, it's literally game 1 of the season. 82 game season.

The MAPLE LEAFS chased Hank in our home opener last year. It meant absolutely nothing in the grand scheme.

And let's not forget, this game was against the defending Champions and one of the dominant teams in the league. This wasn't Phoenix we were running around chasing after.

Last edited:

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Saw a lot of good things from the forwards and a lot of bad things from the D. Ultimately I'm not concerned. Chicago is (obviously) a very good team and they're going to make plays and force turnovers.

Hilarious that people are going to blame Girardi for that goal. Chicago had all the lanes occupied. Girardi made the only play he could and Toews made a good play to block it. Then again, I'm sure if Yandle were in that position he would have lifted his stick in the air and parted the forecheckers like Moses.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Because Hank won the game against the defending champs in their house. The rest of the team watched.

This is completely false. Did you think Lindberg, Stalberg, Stoll, Kreider, Miller, Yandle all just "watched" the game?

This is the teams first game in months. It was in Chicago, on opening night, against the defending champions, with a start time at 8:30. The fact that they won this shows a lot of character.

It wasn't a beautiful win, but as a long time Rangers fan, I assume you know that we rarely get those.

Solid, gutsy, tough win to open the season. Do it again on Friday.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
We're a great team. The first period showed us flashes of what this team is capable of. Great skill and speed. We fizzled out a bit and our first line seems to be trying to find their game still, which is fine. Hank is in playoff form (can I get an amen?) and we beat the Stanley Cup winning team, in their home, right after their Apollo Creed banner ceremony. I'm a happy dude right now.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Most of the D was pretty bad. McDonagh was alright, Yandle was alright, the rest of them varied between OK and plain bad most of the night, but yeah Girardi in particular struggled hard.

Staal was up and down. Same with McD. I think its just timing/speed thing for them. Dan was making fundamental blunders. Its usually because Girardi gets too cute with the puck.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
And, as always, people seem to be mistaking the defensive scheme the Rangers play when they have the lead in the final 30 minutes to be lazy or watching.

Thanks, Henrik.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Chicago looked pretty good, but they spent a lot of time skating with the puck and passing to each other without creating much.

Agreed. Chicago is a team which manages to look dangerous with the puck, but, at times creates nothing but possession along the wall and at the blueline. Rangers did a fairly good job of covering the middle.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
We're a great team. The first period showed us flashes of what this team is capable of. Great skill and speed. We fizzled out a bit and our first line seems to be trying to find their game still, which is fine. Hank is in playoff form (can I get an amen?) and we beat the Stanley Cup winning team, in their home, right after their Apollo Creed banner ceremony. I'm a happy dude right now.

Hawks area a better offensive team imo and were keeping the Rangers pinned in their zone for stretches. Ranger forwards had to so much D that they were too exhausted to put in the offensive pressure as it progressed.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
I didn't feel like Chicago were scoring the 3rd goal but I'm annoyed how we keep inviting teams to come at us and getting pinned. We should've at least gotten some kind of counterattack going but our outlet passing was way off.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The defense was absolutely horrendous. If that's the D we'll be getting for the entire season, then I don't think we'll be as fortunate as we were most nights. Girardi was about as bad as I've ever seen him. Staal was pretty bad as well. McDonagh was very meh, and Boyle just seemed totally out of it. Yandle was fine and Klein was okay.

We need to improve, period. As happy as I am about this win, 1 win doesn't get you into the playoffs. This performance is not good enough to win on a consistent basis. I hope we look at the film and perhaps wipe some of the rust off and start to improve and quick.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

It really does seem to be the game plan. Push the pace non stop until we get a lead, then completely shell in and rely on Hank to shut the door and collapse around him. This game plan and the frequency with which it occurs probably has somethnig to do with the poor advanced stats too. The guy between the periods said last season NYR were 36-0-1 when going into the 3rd with a lead last season, so I guess it works. Still don't like them to shell the way they do, but it makes Hank earn his paycheck.

It's like the first half of the game is TBL Torts and the second half is NYR Torts.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Lindberg line was outstanding tonight. I already love watching Stalberg play. Amazing to see someone as big as him that's able to skate that quick and lay the body while getting in on the forecheck.

Thought the Stepan and Moore lines were kinda just there tonight. Some good shifts and some bad. I don't think the Brassard line has gotten out of its zone yet.

Safe to say Boyle and Girardi left a lot to be desired tonight. Thought Boyle was better in the third but yeesh, rough games for both. Also thought McDonagh didn't have his best stuff. Yandle - Klein were both great and the king is the king.

Not going crazy over one game so I'll gladly take the two points. Never easy to walk into the defending champs house and take the win in regulation.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
Hank was the best Ranger by far. Miller was second, I don't see how anyone can say he had a bad game. Tied for third are Kreider, Lindberg, Yandle and Zucc all with good games. I really like the third and fourth lines, much improved from last year.
If Hank played like he usually starts the season, we would have lost this game. He is off to a good start.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Since when do we ever give another team credit much less a multi me champion?....

Chicago looked in midseason form especially after the 1st period. Rangers still generated some good chances Crawford had to stop but Hawks just looked sharp and ready to hit the ground running, while the Rangers looked off and out of sync.

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
Tough win. The 3rd period, 1 goal up collapse seems to still be the plan after last year. Hank was on fire. Miller played well as did Yandle, and Klein. I really hope we don't get rid of Klein, I thought he was our best overall d man last year. Onto game 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad