Post-Game Talk: 1 outta 2 ain't bad, Jets lose 5-2

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Why do you expect Ehlers in the lineup ? just wondering if you heard some kind of official press release ? or is this just your guy feel by the way he's been acting, and the Jets saying he's day to day.

There's nothing more I'd like to see than Ehlers in the lineup -- be HUGE for the Jets. What makes you think he'll be in the lineup ? just wondering.
It's just my gut feel on this.

When the Jets won the first game, and did so with all four lines playing very well, putting Ehlers into the line-up if he was not 100% did not seem worth it. Why mess with a roster that played that well in Game 1?

After the Game 2 performance, there is more incentive to now make that line-up insertion even if Ehlers is not 100% (provided it is not a big risk to him).

TL;DR

When Scheifele, PLD and Connor were hitting and dumping and chasing in Game 1 I knew we had a good chance to win the game. Conversely, when they started to take extended shifts, fly the zone without possession and play weak on pucks to start the second period in Game 2 (after a tremendous first period!), I knew we had a good chance to lose the game.

RANT:

This team will ultimately live and die on Scheifele's consistency. We can count on effort from our other key leaders (Helley, Morrissey, Lowry), even if they inevitably make mistakes. I just don't have the same faith in Scheifele. He can be so dominant at times but seems to get in his own head at other times.

Vegas' first goal came as a result of an unnecessarily long shift by PLD and Scheifs. They were so tired by the end of it the Jets structure fell apart in the neutral and defensive zones. Then no one could clear the puck in front of the net.

Vegas' third goal was the lazy "stick check" Scheifele made on Stephensen in front of the net. These are preventable goals. Scheifele's mistakes aren't the result of a lack of skill or IQ, or even of Vegas speed and creativity (and there will certainly be goals like that). They are a lack of integrity. That might seem harsh but the mistakes he is making are mistakes he wasn't making earlier in his career. There's no excuses for it in your 10th NHL season. This is a player that deservedly got some Selke votes in 2016 and 2017. He's a damn good hockey player.

I remember in (I believe) game 3 of that Oilers series he had one weak back check and one lazy forecheck where he got caught deep and both led to Oilers' goals. He bounced back quickly in that game and I think he will bounce-back here too. It's just tough that it happened in a game that we really could have won had Scheifele's line been +1 rather than -2. You got to win games where you get goals from PP2 and line 4. There still in a fantastic spot but this is a missed opportunity.
Definitely agree with you.

I don't know what is going on in Schiefele's head. This is the playoffs. It is inexcusable for him to have those lapses.

We bumped him off of the centre position to wing. What next? Bump him down a line? What a head case. He's definitely not the "hockey nerd" striving to be the best from a few years ago.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It's just my gut feel on this.

When the Jets won the first game, and did so with all four lines playing very well, putting Ehlers into the line-up if he was not 100% did not seem worth it. Why mess with a roster that played that well in Game 1?

After the Game 2 performance, there is more incentive to now make that line-up insertion even if Ehlers is not 100% (provided it is not a big risk to him).
Hopefully your right, and even an 80 % Ehlers is better than most NHL players. I believe his legs are fine, so he'll still be able to use his speed out there, and stickhandle etc. Let's hope he's in.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Long series, wasn't going to be easy.

Played a fantastic first period, really needed to make it 2, 3-0. Brossoit played well.

Vegas took over throughout the 2nd and 3rd and made the Jets lives hell. We didn't seem to get any clean zone exits and entries, no zone time, all one and done type chances. Coach will need to adjust because you can't win games like that.

Ehlers being back would help a lot as we don't have the scoring depth to chase games, so when we are behind it is very hard. He also is a zone exit/entry machine himself who can skate the puck in and out and create chances.

On to the next.

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg
Me and my 7 year old son are coming for the game on monday. Will be in town really early, so we have lots of time to do a couple activities. I'm not sure what to do besides take him to the museum or, really what else to do. Any suggestions would be really appreciated as I've never brought any of my kids to Winnipeg before. I can even use suggestion to for a family restaurant or at least a kid friendly restaurant, that's local. Would I take him to Santa Lucia inside for instance? Or is it dingy? Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Children's museum at the forks is fun, for that age especially given weather. (Some people will suggest Forks is street crime skewed, but my small sample size has never encountered that).

Activate could be fun for you guys too!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Long series, wasn't going to be easy.

Played a fantastic first period, really needed to make it 2, 3-0. Brossoit played well.

Vegas took over throughout the 2nd and 3rd and made the Jets lives hell. We didn't seem to get any clean zone exits and entries, no zone time, all one and done type chances. Coach will need to adjust because you can't win games like that.

Ehlers being back would help a lot as we don't have the scoring depth to chase games, so when we are behind it is very hard. He also is a zone exit/entry machine himself who can skate the puck in and out and create chances.

On to the next.
It almost seemed as if the Jets took their foot off the gas feeling like they had the series in hand and that gave the Knights the room they needed to rediscover their game.

The Jets will have to go back to attacking as a closely connected group again, and backchecking in the same way.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Vegas is very effective and clearing their own zone when we try to dump it in and forecheck. We desperately need Ehlers back who will just carry it himself. Once we set up shop in Vegas’s zone, they’ve looked pretty discombobulated and they have a goalie that I good outplay if I have a good breakfast. Ehlers would be a huge addition because right now we can’t get any zone time because Vegas is too good and clearing the zone against the forecheck.

It almost seemed as if the Jets took their foot off the gas feeling like they had the series in hand and that gave the Knights the room they needed to rediscover their game.

The Jets will have to go back to attacking as a closely connected group again, and backchecking in the same way.
I don’t know if they took their foot off the gas because they thought the they had the series in hand, or if they just tired out. I kinda feel like the former is more likely. We’ve seen the Jets do this countless times where they think they can just show up and their skill will win out. The good news about that is maybe this loss will wake them up. We got the split on the road, if we give a full 60-minute effort in the whiteout, that’s gonna be difficult for Vegas to overcome.

I suspect the officiating will be heavily slanted in Vegas’s favour again, but it is what it is.

Maybe a rogue employee at The Fairmont can pull the fire alarm in the middle of the night on Vegas.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Vegas is very effective and clearing their own zone when we try to dump it in and forecheck. We desperately need Ehlers back who will just carry it himself. Once we set up shop in Vegas’s zone, they’ve looked pretty discombobulated and they have a goalie that I good outplay if I have a good breakfast. Ehlers would be a huge addition because right now we can’t get any zone time because Vegas is too good and clearing the zone against the forecheck.

I don’t know if they took their foot off the gas because they thought the they had the series in hand, or if they just tired out. I kinda feel like the former is more likely. We’ve seen the Jets do this countless times where they think they can just show up and their skill will win out. The good news about that is maybe this loss will wake them up. We got the split on the road, if we give a full 60-minute effort in the whiteout, that’s gonna be difficult for Vegas to overcome.

I suspect the officiating will be heavily slanted in Vegas’s favour again, but it is what it is.

Maybe a rogue employee at The Fairmont can pull the fire alarm in the middle of the night on Vegas.
I really don't think that's true. The Jets had plenty of zone and possession time. The Knights made some adjustments which is what happens multiple times in the playoffs. Now it's up to Jets coaching to adjust to that.

The biggest impact in my mind was what the Jets started doing and what they got away from. They started to be laise faire with the puck, turning it over, and stopped skating hard. The Knights seized their opportunity and started pushing back.

Yes, of course, Ehlers does help with zone entries, and puck possession, and having him back will be great, but to put the expectation that he's going to somehow cure what ailed the Jets in the back 30 of last nights game is overly simplistic and not realistic.

Reactions: LowLefty

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I really don't think that's true. The Jets had plenty of zone and possession time. The Knights made some adjustments which is what happens multiple times in the playoffs. Now it's up to Jets coaching to adjust to that.

The biggest impact in my mind was what the Jets started doing and what they got away from. They started to be laise faire with the puck, turning it over, and stopped skating hard. The Knights seized their opportunity and started pushing back.

Yes, of course, Ehlers does help with zone entries, and puck possession, and having him back will be great, but to put the expectation that he's going to somehow cure what ailed the Jets in the back 30 of last nights game is overly simplistic and not realistic.
Oh, I don’t think he’s gonna fix everything. But I rewatched the third this morning and we just couldn’t get any o-zone time, like at all. We’d dump it in, they’d dump it right back out. Then they’d hem us in our zone. Maybe it was an effort thing, but I really hope not, considering it was a playoff game. I think they were just more desperate than us.

Some credit goes to Vegas also. They absolutely had to have that game and they played like it. We did not.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Brossoit kept vegas in it in the first. Could have easily been 2 3 goals after 1 for us but Brossoit stood tall. Full marks to Vegas, can't stand sportsnet tho. Couple those shots go in, it's a different game. Vegas survived our push. Then started to take over. Did Dubois play today? To much of that from him in my opinion, has a monster game then no shows. Can't complain about 1 1 after 2 at the Fortress, apparently Vegas is home to geeks and dorks
F**k Vegas

Reactions: macmaroon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Oh, I don’t think he’s gonna fix everything. But I rewatched the third this morning and we just couldn’t get any o-zone time, like at all. We’d dump it in, they’d dump it right back out. Then they’d hem us in our zone. Maybe it was an effort thing, but I really hope not, considering it was a playoff game. I think they were just more desperate than us.

Some credit goes to Vegas also. They absolutely had to have that game and they played like it. We did not.

They also prevented us attacking with speed which forced a lot of those dumps. Vegas made some adjustments and Bones is going to have to counter them.

I think we need better systems play and execution but we also need to get more skill in the lineup as well of we expect to win this series and go far in the playoffs. Hopefully Fly is in tomorrow and Cole is back by game 5.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Yeah that's pretty textbook for Vegas from what I understand. It's really important to get the lead against them because if not they are going to go in a bit of a shell and wait for turnovers to counter strike - which is precisely what they did in the third.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah that's pretty textbook for Vegas from what I understand. It's really important to get the lead against them because if not they are going to go in a bit of a shell and wait for turnovers to counter strike - which is precisely what they did in the third.
Too bad the lead didn’t do much for us yesterday :laugh:

It’s frustrating because yesterday was within grasp, and because Mr. Cap Circumvention scored twice, but objectively we’re in a good spot. Split on the road and coming home to the white out, hopefully with a top sixer returning to the lineup.

Game 3 is huge. I think we can take both in Winnipeg. The pressure is still on Vegas.

Defend home ice. To everyone heading to the game, let’s make it hard on Vegas.

Reactions: Jet and Stumbledore

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
As if I needed anymore confirmation that the deserve to win-o-meter was complete nonsense.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I agree -
I don't get changing the system because we are not putting in the work to support the system that works.
In other words, find a system that doesn't require your players to work hard and be responsible 2 way players.
It's an effort thing - or a consistency thing - or both.

Reactions: Inanna

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Me and my 7 year old son are coming for the game on monday. Will be in town really early, so we have lots of time to do a couple activities. I'm not sure what to do besides take him to the museum or, really what else to do. Any suggestions would be really appreciated as I've never brought any of my kids to Winnipeg before. I can even use suggestion to for a family restaurant or at least a kid friendly restaurant, that's local. Would I take him to Santa Lucia inside for instance? Or is it dingy? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Underdogs on Portage is actually surprisingly kid friendly if you go early. The food is decent enough and there are arcades, claw machines, ping pong, etc.

* edited (I mistakenly said Hat Tricks at first, it is actually Underdogs)

GrassyKnoll

Feb 3, 2015
I hate to judge by appearances, but doesn't Stone give off the vibe of being a total d-bag? Just sayin'.....

Here, this oughta cheer us up:

:D

If the Game 1 Jets show up, then that, combined with the WhiteOut, should give us a good chance. I'll be at work all day Saturday, unfortunately:mad:but I'll be screaming at my radio, for sure! (hopefully, keeping the F-sharps at bay!:sarcasm:)

GO JETS GO!!!

Edit: Shame on me! Where ARE my manners? I forgot.....

F*** VEGAS!!!

Last edited:

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Connor was only another 8-12 shots away from boring a hole through Brossoit's chest. Hopefully he can regain some magic next game and bury one or two.

Waiting any day now for Scheifele to produce offensively too. He's on the wing - he should be shooting more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad