Post-Game Talk: 1 outta 2 ain't bad, Jets lose 5-2

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Too late for Me... slept awesome...

I wake up and... one is better than nothing...

96e4d4d5857a9fc8af149a9a564518b3a797494e.gifv

Go Jets Go !!!

.....:jets

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I expected the Knights to come out and have a better game, but I think if the Jets could have gotten that 2nd goal to go up 2-0 (and they had plenty of chances), it could have turned the game.

As it was, the Jets didn't, and I thought the Knights forechecked much better in the 2nd and 3rd, and also had better gaps in the neutral zone leading to transition and rush chances.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly I feel like if the Jets lost game one he would have been in game 2.

I think it was a combination of not changing the lineup after a win (superstition or not wanting to affect chemistry) and also being able to 'afford ' giving nik 3 more days to heal.

I guess we will see if that was a mistake or not - ehlers could have well been the difference maker last night but we will never know.

If be shocked if he doesn't play tomorrow.

Maybe, I just have this sneaky suspicion he's nowhere near close and this is all gamesmanship. The fact that he's not skating in the game day skates is odd. Even Perfetti who is still in a non contact is skating in them. You'd think Fly would be taking them to see how he feels on game day if he was close.

I expected the Knights to come out and have a better game, but I think if the Jets could have gotten that 2nd goal to go up 2-0 (and they had plenty of chances), it could have turned the game.

As it was, the Jets didn't, and I thought the Knights forechecked much better in the 2nd and 3rd, and also had better gaps in the neutral zone leading to transition and rush chances.

Yup, they modified their forecheck and nz scheme and we had a lot more trouble gaining speed coming out of our end.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Maybe, I just have this sneaky suspicion he's nowhere near close and this is all gamesmanship. The fact that he's not skating in the game day skates is odd. Even Perfetti who is still in a non contact is skating in them. You'd think Fly would be taking them to see how he feels on game day if he was close.

Yup, they modified their forecheck and nz scheme and we had a lot more trouble gaining speed coming out of our end.
I think if you don't see Ehlers in either home game we might not see him in this series at all

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

I think it was a combination of not changing the lineup after a win (superstition or not wanting to affect chemistry) and also being able to 'afford ' giving nik 3 more days to heal.

I guess we will see if that was a mistake or not - ehlers could have well been the difference maker last night but we will never know.

Yep, exactly what I think too. Fully expect Ehlers in for Game 3.

Reactions: GNP

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Was afraid I'd wake up to something like this. Sportscenter says the Knights just caught fire and overpowered the Jets but I saw in the hilights that Schief was gliding in front of our net on two early Vegas goals. Also had a clip of Bones saying we didn't execute well. You can accept the deflected shots no way Helly can stop those but not the loose puck shots from in close killed us.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Me and my 7 year old son are coming for the game on monday. Will be in town really early, so we have lots of time to do a couple activities. I'm not sure what to do besides take him to the museum or, really what else to do. Any suggestions would be really appreciated as I've never brought any of my kids to Winnipeg before. I can even use suggestion to for a family restaurant or at least a kid friendly restaurant, that's local. Would I take him to Santa Lucia inside for instance? Or is it dingy? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Anyone know if the Jets plan on practicing today? It would be a travel day for them so I'm unsure if they will skate or not.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Tomorrows game is the most important game of the series after the Jets win then Mondays game is the most important. Jets have to keep home ice advantage and set the tone can't let the Knights come here and dictate play. Oh and fire pucks at LB from everywhere.

Agree! Bro is pretty good at the dog-pile coverup. If the Jets shoot from the slot with traffic, they will make The Shyte Can Knights weep.

Me and my 7 year old son are coming for the game on monday. Will be in town really early, so we have lots of time to do a couple activities. I'm not sure what to do besides take him to the museum or, really what else to do. Any suggestions would be really appreciated as I've never brought any of my kids to Winnipeg before. I can even use suggestion to for a family restaurant or at least a kid friendly restaurant, that's local. Would I take him to Santa Lucia inside for instance? Or is it dingy? Thanks in advance for any suggestions
The new Leaf - at Assiniboine park - is good for kids. They have a butterfly room, etc. Really well done.

(BTW this is an impressive Good Dad plan of yours, if I may be so bold). Rudy's is good fare, and its right by Canada Life. They have some kid-friendly stuff on the menu.

I'm taking my kids to Saturday's game.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Was afraid I'd wake up to something like this. Sportscenter says the Knights just caught fire and overpowered the Jets but I saw in the hilights that Schief was gliding in front of our net on two early Vegas goals. Also had a clip of Bones saying we didn't execute well. You can accept the deflected shots no way Helly can stop those but not the loose puck shots from in close killed us.
Can confirm. Schuffles was water-skiing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The zoo with the Journey to Churchill exhibit is generally a hit with my friends kids.

Santa Lucia would be fine I'd think and may not be as packed as most places in around the rink on game day.

They get back around 3 in the afternoon so I doubt they practice today, morning skate tomorrow and hopeful we get good news about Ehlers. Vegas gets in a little after 5

It's an afternoon game so I doubt they do the morning skate either.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Inanna

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It's a best of 5 with 3 of the first 4 games at home.
No reason we can't win this series.

GO JETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fergies has awesome fish and chips at the Forks?

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Tomorrow's game will be telling. If first 4 periods Jets show up, we can beat these guys. If last 2 periods Jets show up, we will be in trouble.
I don't think our effort in the last 2 periods was because of what Vegas did. I think it had more to do with what the Jets didn't do, skate, make good passes, win board battles, and drive the net.
Therefore I am hopeful we will bounce back tomorrow.
GJG, F-Vegas

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Jets could have won that so Im not complaining. Vegas had the puck luck in this one.

Scheif played like Kopitar for the first 2 periods and then like Eichel in the third... Stone was his man - I'd still prefer to never see him playing C - he's an elite RW

Samberg and Dillon were on fire - Pionk looking a lot better too

we got 40 mins of good hockey needed 60 - Jets stopped going to the net and were really timid on that 4 on 3

chalk this one up to playoffs jitters on the road

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The Santa Lucia on Marion and St.Mary’s? I don’t think it’s dingy. Good pizza that’s for sure. BP will likely be packed, it’s shitty but 7 year olds seem to like it, lol. The Common at the Forks has a good variety of food options, from hot dogs to pizza to burgers and Mexican.
Hope he has a nap, that’s a late game for 7. Ridiculous they scheduled it that way tbh.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Can confirm. Schuffles was water-skiing.
TL;DR

When Scheifele, PLD and Connor were hitting and dumping and chasing in Game 1 I knew we had a good chance to win the game. Conversely, when they started to take extended shifts, fly the zone without possession and play weak on pucks to start the second period in Game 2 (after a tremendous first period!), I knew we had a good chance to lose the game.

RANT:

This team will ultimately live and die on Scheifele's consistency. We can count on effort from our other key leaders (Helley, Morrissey, Lowry), even if they inevitably make mistakes. I just don't have the same faith in Scheifele. He can be so dominant at times but seems to get in his own head at other times.

Vegas' first goal came as a result of an unnecessarily long shift by PLD and Scheifs. They were so tired by the end of it the Jets structure fell apart in the neutral and defensive zones. Then no one could clear the puck in front of the net.

Vegas' third goal was the lazy "stick check" Scheifele made on Stephensen in front of the net. These are preventable goals. Scheifele's mistakes aren't the result of a lack of skill or IQ, or even of Vegas speed and creativity (and there will certainly be goals like that). They are a lack of integrity. That might seem harsh but the mistakes he is making are mistakes he wasn't making earlier in his career. There's no excuses for it in your 10th NHL season. This is a player that deservedly got some Selke votes in 2016 and 2017. He's a damn good hockey player.

I remember in (I believe) game 3 of that Oilers series he had one weak back check and one lazy forecheck where he got caught deep and both led to Oilers' goals. He bounced back quickly in that game and I think he will bounce-back here too. It's just tough that it happened in a game that we really could have won had Scheifele's line been +1 rather than -2. You got to win games where you get goals from PP2 and line 4. There still in a fantastic spot but this is a missed opportunity.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
In my opinion Jets had Vegas on the ropes in the first they completely survived, had they scored 3 or 4 goals in that first period instead of 1 I don’t know if Vegas ends up getting the momentum to make a run, but they survived and countered and for the first time all series Vegas made their run. Anyways would have been amazing to come back to Winnipeg up 2-0 but I’ll take the split. Hopefully we come out with that extra jump at home. Overall I’m not too worried. Vegas is a good team and LB played a solid game, should he a good series.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yep, exactly what I think too. Fully expect Ehlers in for Game 3.
Why do you expect Ehlers in the lineup ? just wondering if you heard some kind of official press release ? or is this just your guy feel by the way he's been acting, and the Jets saying he's day to day.

There's nothing more I'd like to see than Ehlers in the lineup -- be HUGE for the Jets. What makes you think he'll be in the lineup ? just wondering.

Reactions: Jetland162702

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
In my opinion Jets had Vegas on the ropes in the first they completely survived, had they scored 3 or 4 goals in that first period instead of 1 I don’t know if Vegas ends up getting the momentum to make a run, but they survived and countered and for the first time all series Vegas made their run. Anyways would have been amazing to come back to Winnipeg up 2-0 but I’ll take the split. Hopefully we come out with that extra jump at home. Overall I’m not too worried. Vegas is a good team and LB played a solid game, should he a good series.
Jets missed the first period dagger. The 4 on 3 was the turning point.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I hope your right on Ehlers here, and think you might be right on. He really is the difference maker the Jets need to beat Vegas. With him in the lineup, we have far more scoring talent than they do. I'm really hoping he's in, and flying around out there.

Reactions: Jetland162702

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad