Value of: #1 Goalie(Vezina Candidate) and #1 Defenseman(Norris Candidate) to Edmonton?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think the OP is aiming too high. I mean, could we land both? Sure, but as mentioned, McDavid would have to go the other way, and that ain't happening.

There was a suggestion a while back about targeting Letang after he had a sub par playoff run. The thought was Sekera (salary purposes) and 10th OA might get that done. Is Letang necessarily a Norris calibre Dman? Probably not at this stage, but at least we wouldn't be paying a ransom to acquire him. Instantly fixes our PP. With an expected bounce back from the Klefbom-Larsson pair, and a newly formed Nurse-Letang pair, that would be a pretty damn good top 4.

Can Talbot bounce back? Not sure, but it's a contract year and a very talented back up (Koskinen) will be breathing down his neck trying to take his job. I expect above average goaltending from the pair.

At that point, we need an upgrade on wing and we should be back in the playoffs. Easier said than done, but this team isn't as bad as some think - but we have to get that offensive threat RHD.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
The Oilers are not moving McDavid. Draisaitl has value but that contract is not great and teams will worry about his lack of production away from CM. Those are the only two pieces tradable for for what the OP was asking. RNH is overpayed and barely a 2nd line C, he looks great on Mcdavid's wing but any scrub would. Lucic is unmoveable. The Oilers can't afford the cap, they will have a hard time filling out the bottom half of their roster as is.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
What would the Oilers offer up for Burns? McDavid definitely is off the table, but the Sharks would want high-end young talent if they considered this.
(Assuming the Sharks decide it's time to re-trench and want high-end young talent).

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What would the Oilers offer up for Burns? McDavid definitely is off the table, but the Sharks would want high-end young talent if they considered this.
(Assuming the Sharks decide it's time to re-trench and want high-end young talent).

I'd offer Klefbom + Larsson + 10th OA. Not sure that gets it done based on the sub par year each had last year, but they played a top pair role the year before and looked solid.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Right, but might Tampa make that deal? Or would they just keep Vasilevskiy and Hedman? They’ve got a contending team right now, hard to tear it apart just like that.
Tampa wouldn’t do it because they already have Stamkos. Granted McDavid is better but why trade two huge pieces on their already contending roster for a center when they have three good to great centers?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Tampa has four top six-caliber centers on its roster right now: Stamkos, Point, Johnson, and Gourde (though we’ve mostly seen that last one on the wing in the top six so let’s call it three proven top six centers and one possible one.) That’s not even mentioning Kucherov who while not quite in McDavid’s class is certainly in the class right below him. No way we’d trade our most valuable player in Hedman and our young stud goalie in Vasy under those circumstances. In fact I’m hard pressed to think of a player in the league for whom I’d trade Hedman straight up - he’s the best two-way defenseman in the NHL and we’ve got plenty of scorers already so moving him just wouldn’t make sense for us.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
These proposals calling for McDavid are ridiculous and an obvious attempt to derail this thread.

Doughty/Karlsson = 2018 1st + 2019 1st + Klefbom/Pulji

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
asking a lot. The Oilers window is going to be open for a while, I'd look to the draft or gamble on some acquisitions that haven't panned out yet rather than gutting your cupboard of futures to get something even resembling the players you want

also pretty rare that a Vezina level goalie, a Norris level dman and a Hart level center are on the same team. Don't think you need all of that to be cup contenders if you just keep adding talent and stop with knee-jerk bad contracts that everyone knows are bad the day they're signed like Lucic

Toews/Kane, Keith Crawford(few years ago)

Kopitar, Doughty, Quick

Bergeron, Bergeron(come on, he's their best defenceman), Rask

Stamkos, Hedman, Vasilevskiy

Crosby, Letang, Fleury

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
In reality I doubt it happens, but Winnipeg fans seem to be angry at Hellebuyck right now so what about trying to land Hellebuyck and either Myers or Trouba?

Byfuglien is signed long term and that means that Myers and Trouba have to play lower on the depth chart because they are all right-handed and Maurice likes that LHD-RHD balance. Myers has 1 more year at $5.5 mil before becoming a UFA so they could trade him as a 1-year rental. Or (less likely though) the Jets could trade Trouba instead. He is a RFA this summer and will demand a massive raise, probably in the $6-$7 mil range and with other contracts like Laine (his would start in 2019) and Morrissey needing to get done and Ehlers' extension kicking in he could price himself out of their plans.

Hellebuyck has been solid all year but like everyone else, is having trouble against Vegas. Like I said before, I doubt he would actually be available, but he and Myers/Trouba would fit what you are asking for.

Im not an Oilers fan, but I really like the idea of a Top 4 of Klefbom-Myers/Trouba follwed by Nurse-Larsson.

I just dont know what it would cost. I would have to think something like RNH-#10 pick-Pulju? Probably more?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is Letang necessarily a Norris calibre Dman? Probably not at this stage, but at least we wouldn't be paying a ransom to acquire him. Instantly fixes our PP.

I think Pens fans would be having a chuckle about this.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Toews/Kane, Keith Crawford(few years ago)

Kopitar, Doughty, Quick

Bergeron, Bergeron(come on, he's their best defenceman), Rask

Stamkos, Hedman, Vasilevskiy

Crosby, Letang, Fleury
Preface, I did say "rare" not "this has never happened ever"

Chicago trio - Crawford's not (and was never) a Vezina caliber goaltender, he was 5th in voting once

LA - Kopitar is not a Hart level player (though he's very good). McDavid is better, and considerably more expensive which is going to hurt Edm's ability to supplement him

Boston - using one guy for two trophies that he's never been close to winning is a bit of a stretch, no?

Tampa - that's close, one of the rare scenarios that it's happened. Stamkos took less than he would have got as a UFA to stay there to let the team sign some of the talent around him, McDavid's contract again will make that more difficult

Pittsburgh trio - Letang is not a Norris caliber defenseman, Fleury is not a Vezina caliber goalie (he came in 7th and 8th in voting in his best years)

you should also take note that every player that you've referenced was drafted by the team that you're saying had one of those trios, should give you an indication of how hard this is going to be to find by trade

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Easy Peasy

LA

Doughty
Quick

Edmonton

McDavid

or

Columbus

Jones
Bob

Edmonton

McDavid

or

Nashville

Rinne
Subban

Edmonton

McDavid

or

Washington

Carlson
Holtby

Edmonton

McDavid

or

Tampa

Vas
Hedman

Edmonton

McDavid

Take your pick!
This is the sad truth for Edmonton. Nothing short of trading McDavid will bring back OPs desired return.

With McDavids contract kicking in the Oilers are in Salary Cap hell for the next three seasons and nothing short of trading McDavid for young players on great contacts could change that. Neither Draisaitl nor RNH are signed to below market level contracts. As fairly paid players (if they realize their potential) they won't bring back a huge return. Only McDavid would.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5