Value of: #1 Goalie(Vezina Candidate) and #1 Defenseman(Norris Candidate) to Edmonton?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
They don’t need a goalie and a Norris contender will be expensive.

Only one that makes sense is Karlsson since he’d be “relatively” cheap because he is a UFA

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
asking a lot. The Oilers window is going to be open for a while, I'd look to the draft or gamble on some acquisitions that haven't panned out yet rather than gutting your cupboard of futures to get something even resembling the players you want

also pretty rare that a Vezina level goalie, a Norris level dman and a Hart level center are on the same team. Don't think you need all of that to be cup contenders if you just keep adding talent and stop with knee-jerk bad contracts that everyone knows are bad the day they're signed like Lucic

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
I honestly don’t even know which side has more value. I would probably take McDavid but it’s close.
From an Edmonton POV, Tampa would have to add Kucherov for us to consider it. I know that it would be a huge overpayment, but that’s what it would take. No chance Edmonton does Mcdavid for just Hedman and Vas.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
From an Edmonton POV, Tampa would have to add Kucherov for us to consider it. I know that it would be a huge overpayment, but that’s what it would take. No chance Edmonton does Mcdavid for just Hedman and Vas.

Right, but might Tampa make that deal? Or would they just keep Vasilevskiy and Hedman? They’ve got a contending team right now, hard to tear it apart just like that.

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
Right, but might Tampa make that deal? Or would they just keep Vasilevskiy and Hedman? They’ve got a contending team right now, hard to tear it apart just like that.
In my mind there is no doubt Tampa does that deal. They take that deal, and then flips one of their other tremendously valuable forwards for a defenseman. (Kucherov, Stamkos, Point)

That kind of deal is the difference of contending for 5-7 or 10-12 years for Tampa.

Think about it this way. Would a hypothetical deal of Luongo and Pronger for Crosby be beneficial back in 2007? Sure as hell it would! This is the equivalent in my mind. Mcdavid will be a top 5 player for 10-12 more years. Same cannot be said about Hedman or Vas.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In my mind there is no doubt Tampa does that deal. They take that deal, and then flips one of their other tremendously valuable forwards for a defenseman. (Kucherov, Stamkos, Point)

That kind of deal is the difference of contending for 5-7 or 10-12 years for Tampa.

Think about it this way. Would a hypothetical deal of Luongo and Pronger for Crosby be beneficial back in 2007? Sure as hell it would! This is the equivalent in my mind. Mcdavid will be a top 5 player for 10-12 more years. Same cannot be said about Hedman or Vas.

Vasilevskiy and Hedman were both just voted top-3 at their respective positions and Vasilevskiy will likely finish at #2 while Hedman might just be voted #1. Tampa Bay currently has a team that is clearly a Stanley Cup Contender and in my guess, a team that probably wins it this year. Would you trade 2 of the 4 most important players on a Cup winner for McDavid? Idk.

As a Sharks fan, I would gladly give them any of Burns, Vlasic, or Jones for Point. But none of those guys are anywhere near as valuable as Hedman/Vasilevskiy and there’s no guarantee that those guys would gel in Tampa Bay and there’s no guarantee that their team would still be a contender. McDavid just proved that as good as he is (roughly 1 standard deviation better than every single other player), he is not too good to make the playoffs. Would Tampa give up the most important player at two separate positions on their cup contending roster for McDavid? Idk. Maybe not.

I would agree that McDavid is more valuable, but I just don’t know if Tampa would make the trade. And I wouldn’t blame them.

Also, Pronger was 33 and Luongo was 28 at this point. Hedman is 27 and Vasilevskiy is 23. Not all that comparable.

Reactions: HugginThePost

meatwad4343

Apr 19, 2018
Tampa
Vasilevskiy and Hedman were both just voted top-3 at their respective positions and Vasilevskiy will likely finish at #2 while Hedman might just be voted #1. Tampa Bay currently has a team that is clearly a Stanley Cup Contender and in my guess, a team that probably wins it this year. Would you trade 2 of the 4 most important players on a Cup winner for McDavid? Idk.

As a Sharks fan, I would gladly give them any of Burns, Vlasic, or Jones for Point. But none of those guys are anywhere near as valuable as Hedman/Vasilevskiy and there’s no guarantee that those guys would gel in Tampa Bay and there’s no guarantee that their team would still be a contender. McDavid just proved that as good as he is (roughly 1 standard deviation better than every single other player), he is not too good to make the playoffs. Would Tampa give up the most important player at two separate positions on their cup contending roster for McDavid? Idk. Maybe not.

I would agree that McDavid is more valuable, but I just don’t know if Tampa would make the trade. And I wouldn’t blame them.

Also, Pronger was 33 and Luongo was 28 at this point. Hedman is 27 and Vasilevskiy is 23. Not all that comparable.

absolutely we don't make that trade. this team can win a cup as is, making that trade adds scoring, but we have that in bunches already. you significantly weaken your defense and who plays goalie? you aren't making a deep playoff run with trash goaltending. just look at the flyers this year. not sure why edmonton does this either, it doesn't make them contenders. if it was a hypothetical situation where mcdavid wanted out and only to tampa kind of like st louis did with the rangers, i'd offer point, sergachev, picks and prospects as a base and can add as needed

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

Uh no, we can hardly afford McDavids contract as is and losing Vasilevskiy would kill any hope we have of contending. Can’t win a cup with Domingue as your starter.

And we lose our best player in Hedman. Lol.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
absolutely we don't make that trade. this team can win a cup as is, making that trade adds scoring, but we have that in bunches already. you significantly weaken your defense and who plays goalie? you aren't making a deep playoff run with trash goaltending. just look at the flyers this year. not sure why edmonton does this either, it doesn't make them contenders. if it was a hypothetical situation where mcdavid wanted out and only to tampa kind of like st louis did with the rangers, i'd offer point, sergachev, picks and prospects as a base and can add as needed
If McDavid wanted out and only to Tampa I would use all the leverage I have.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
More than EDM would be willing to give up. There is only one team that could satisfy both players and might be willing to move both. It’s MTL,

Price
Weber

Drai
10th

Issue is Oiler fans will say both contracts are meh but Price when on his game is the best goalie in the NHL. Last year was an blip IMO. Weber is still a 1RD but he is 32 and under contract for another 8 or 9. Plus he is not exactly fleet of foot.

I get that cap issue would also require additional pieces to be moved but that is what it takes.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Easy Peasy

LA

Doughty
Quick

Edmonton

McDavid

or

Columbus

Jones
Bob

Edmonton

McDavid

or

Nashville

Rinne
Subban

Edmonton

McDavid

or

Washington

Carlson
Holtby

Edmonton

McDavid

or

Tampa

Vas
Hedman

Edmonton

McDavid

Take your pick!

Last edited:

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
Uh no, we can hardly afford McDavids contract as is and losing Vasilevskiy would kill any hope we have of contending. Can’t win a cup with Domingue as your starter.

And we lose our best player in Hedman. Lol.
While I can agree that this trade might lower your chances of winning the cup short term, I believe that it’s good enough in the long term to overcome that aspect. Sure, you weaken the defense and goaltending substantially in the short term, but with the pieces you have that can easily be addressed within a few years.

You have both Sergachev and Foote in the system who project as top 4-d, if Sergachev isn’t already. Your defense will be fine, your goaltending can be addressed via trade and you would have the most dominant offensive core since the Oilers in the 80s. You would be a top contender for a decade.

I respect if you wouldn’t do the deal from a Tampa POV, but I definitely wouldn’t do it as an Oilers fan either, and I’m a big fan of Hedman.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
While I can agree that this trade might lower your chances of winning the cup short term, I believe that it’s good enough in the long term to overcome that aspect. Sure, you weaken the defense and goaltending substantially in the short term, but with the pieces you have that can easily be addressed within a few years.

You have both Sergachev and Foote in the system who project as top 4-d, if Sergachev isn’t already. Your defense will be fine, your goaltending can be addressed via trade and you would have the most dominant offensive core since the Oilers in the 80s. You would be a top contender for a decade.

I respect if you wouldn’t do the deal from a Tampa POV, but I definitely wouldn’t do it as an Oilers fan either, and I’m a big fan of Hedman.
I most DEFINITELY would not do it from Tampa POV. And I don’t expect Oilers fans to want it either. Sometimes an offer makes no sense for either side.

Reactions: HugginThePost

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
More than EDM would be willing to give up. There is only one team that could satisfy both players and might be willing to move both. It’s MTL,

Price
Weber

Drai
10th

good lord......i would do that any day of the week....i would take drai alone for those 2

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad