Post-Game Talk (GBU): 1 down 81 to go

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I was pleased that Myers looked like he didn't miss a beat from last year. He's this team's most important player and he was aggressive, which they badly need him to be.

I wish Ristolainen had gotten more minutes. Hopefully they split him up from Weber so that he can play a more important role. It's not like there are any world beaters in front of him at this point.

Also, I'm surprised at less than seven minutes of ice time for Deslauriers. He's not worth dressing over Flynn if they're only going to play him that much. Flynn can at least contribute on the PK.

Also, Reinhart will be fun to watch progress. I'd much rather the mental side of the game be there rather with the physical side needing work than vice versa. He will get stronger and he will continue to improve his skating. I agree that sending him back after nine games is probably the best course of action, but people are being too critical of him right now. He's an 18 year old stepping into a forward lineup that produced at historically low levels last season.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
61/41 DPair was bound to fail from the start

Guys have NEVER played a game together, not to mention even ever be on the same team together,then thrown together. I'd give them a break for game one.

I thought the crowd was absolutely horrible, no passion no enthusiasm, only came alive after Girgs goal. It's first game with a bunch of new players and line combos. Needs time to gel, and who cares if it gels. Stink it up.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Myers sucks. No surprise the majority of people here still find no faults in his game and treat him like a stud. The dudes paid like a top 20 dman and he's not even in the top 40-50.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
There is so much overreaction in this thread.... it's rather pathetic.

Can I survive 81 more of these?

I'm right there with you, man. I'm getting a good :laugh: at people criticizing Myers. He was great tonight. Reinhart is improving. He made some nice plays. Mez/Ben was a horrifying pairing. They're way too soft. It wouldn't surprise me if they both get benched next game. Rasmus's breakout passes are amazing considering his age. He's going to be one hell of defenseman. Foligno was annoying tonight. He'd make a solid play then a dumb play.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Myers sucks. No surprise the majority of people here still find no faults in his game and treat him like a stud. The dudes paid like a top 20 dman and he's not even in the top 40-50.

He sucks? Do you get that from WGR or from actually watching him play? How does what he gets paid influence whether or not he sucks? Nevermind that his cap hit's just fine for the exact player he is. He's making a whopping $1m more than Ennis and Hodgson. Myers is a good NHLer. He's easily our best defenseman right now and arguably our best player. That might not be saying a lot considering the team, but anyone who thinks he "sucks" either doesn't watch him, is ruled by bias, or doesn't know what they're watching.

Why is it "no surprise" that we all find no fault in his game and treat him like a stud? Is it because you expect so little of everyone else as they're idiots and you're a hockey genius? If thinking that floats your boat go ahead, but maybe you should wait to flaunt it until what you say is actually true, as I don't know one person on this forum who doesn't find faults in his game and not one person who thinks he's a #1 defenseman, even though that's the role he'll be playing for us for the time being.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

He sucks? Do you get that from WGR or from actually watching him play? How does what he gets paid influence whether or not he sucks? Nevermind that his cap hit's just fine for the exact player he is. He's making a whopping $1m more than Ennis and Hodgson. Myers is a good NHLer. He's easily our best defenseman right now and arguably our best player. That might not be saying a lot considering the team, but anyone who thinks he "sucks" either doesn't watch him, is ruled by bias, or doesn't know what they're watching.

Why is it "no surprise" that we all find no fault in his game and treat him like a stud? Is it because you expect so little of everyone else as they're idiots and you're a hockey genius? If thinking that floats your boat go ahead, but maybe you should wait to flaunt it until what you say is actually true, as I don't know one person on this forum who doesn't find faults in his game and not one person who thinks he's a #1 defenseman, even though that's the role he'll be playing for us for the time being.

Well said :clap:

Lonely on the island

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
They were lucky to not be have been down by two or three by the time Columbus actually finally scored. It's going to be a long year. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they are as bad as they were last year, especially with Enroth not used to a starter's workload.

Nice goal by Zemgus though.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
there's some error here, sba must have posted twice :laugh:

I wouldn't mind dropping deslauriers

LOL The one guy who constantly moves his feet and uses his body well. The only guy who was imposing on the forecheck.

I agree about getting Phlin in, but not at Deslauriers' expense.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Gionta looked brutal

Hodgson was invisible most of the night except when botching odd man rushes

I liked the Ocho line... I've seen worse from Foligno, and Stewart and ZG were fine

Reinhart looked overmatched and timid. He's such a smart player and was always doing the right thing as a center without the puck. But his feet weren't moving and he did nothing offensively. 4 of 15 at the dot :amazed:

_________

Can someone explain to me why Zadorov was the only player who wasn't introduced pregame..? Did something happen? Why wasn't he there?

________

Gotta love how our brilliant coach puts out our fourth line for the first offensive zone draw after being manhandled in our own zone for six mins straight.

And do me a favor... Don't tell me that Ristolainen will be in a top four role and playing all situations and then have him finish sixth out of six among ToI for dmen... Thanks

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Gionta looked brutal

Hodgson was invisible most of the night except when botching odd man rushes

I liked the Ocho line... I've seen worse from Foligno, and Stewart and ZG were fine

Reinhart looked overmatched and timid. He's such a smart player and was always doing the right thing as a center without the puck. But his feet weren't moving and he did nothing offensively. 4 of 15 at the dot :amazed:

_________

Can someone explain to me why Zadorov was the only player who wasn't introduced pregame..? Did something happen? Why wasn't he there?

________

Gotta love how our brilliant coach puts out our fourth line for the first offensive zone draw after being manhandled in our own zone for six mins straight.

And do me a favor... Don't tell me that Ristolainen will be in a top four role and playing all situations and then have him finish sixth out of six among ToI for dmen... Thanks

Thought the same thing. Murray may really be regret the decision to give him three years when we get to 2016-17.

Bps21*

If you want the saddest part...it's definitely that an ailing blue jackets team played at the pace of a snail and just easily entered out zone and passed it around all night patiently looking for what they wanted.

We blocked 22! Shots on top of being doubled up on shots.

This is not near the best team we play...and they never felt like they needed to find another gear.

I feel bad for enroth since he kept them in it with some really difficult saves since they were working that zone.

When a team decides they're just going to rip shots on net...that's when it's going to get ugly.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He was introduced. It was near the end. I think he was the last undressed player introduced and I think the last player before they introduced the Ca dn As

That was Hackett... I really don't think he was mentioned...

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No he wasn't. I know the number changed. But he wasn't introduced and every other scratch was there in a suit.

I can't back you up with certainty but I do believe you're right as I don't remember seeing him, but I know I missed a few as I was busy with my running commentary in the chat. I remember the other scratches: Kaleta's face looking like a wooden puppet with a glossy finish, Pysyk laughing, Flynn looking a bit bummed (put him in next game, BTW, because the 4th line sucked), Strachan getting no crowd reaction whatsoever, Larsson's glorious jawline, etc. I do not remember seeing McCabe and Zadorov.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I can't back you up with certainty but I do believe you're right as I don't remember seeing him, but I know I missed a few as I was busy with my running commentary in the chat. I remember the other scratches: Kaleta's face looking like a wooden puppet with a glossy finish, Pysyk laughing, Flynn looking a bit bummed (put him in next game, BTW, because the 4th line sucked), Strachan getting no crowd reaction whatsoever, Larsson's glorious jawline, etc. I do not remember seeing McCabe and Zadorov.

McCabe was there but I can't remember Zadorov

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

He was 100% there. I'm sure they'll put the video up tomorrow some time.

Mccabe was introduced. Im fairly confident It went Des > Ristolainen...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad