Post-Game Talk (GBU): 1 down 81 to go

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Good....A+ to Reinhart. Game #1 as an 18 year old complete. Yes, you could see he was nervous but it's not about tonight, it's about the next 12 years with him.

Good....1/82 complete, tank on target.

Good....props to Enroth, he kept us in the game. Couple beauties. But, I think the scouting report will be out on him soon enough, just shoot high. If he goes down, both upper corners will be open. Can't compensate for lack of size....too bad because he has tremendous skills.

Good....Weber. He played a decent game. Got his nose dirty, played simple, decent game.

Good...Stewart. Played ok. Girgs. Played ok. Foligno, I'm just not a fan. I don't think he keeps going enough on plays, kind of coast. I'm not sure he's going to be around for the long haul, not enough skill.

I thought it was a pretty decent game for us. Yeah, we lost but to a playoff team, one on the rise. Good effort. No glaring uglies. Passing at times looked very sharp. There were a lot of things to be happy about, pertains towards development and the future.

Good game

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Myers made a number of poor decisions and a few gaffes but I suppose he skates well
Myers was by far the best player on the team tonight. I'm not sure what you are talking about. The play he took a penalty on he could have had more faith in Gorges but that was just an awful play by Stewart. When Myers and Gorges were on the ice was about the only time Columbus wasn't just walking in and taking shots at Enroth all night.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Good....A+ to Reinhart. Game #1 as an 18 year old complete. Yes, you could see he was nervous but it's not about tonight, it's about the next 12 years with him.

Good....1/82 complete, tank on target.

Good....props to Enroth, he kept us in the game. Couple beauties. But, I think the scouting report will be out on him soon enough, just shoot high. If he goes down, both upper corners will be open. Can't compensate for lack of size....too bad because he has tremendous skills.

Good....Weber. He played a decent game. Got his nose dirty, played simple, decent game.

Good...Stewart. Played ok. Girgs. Played ok. Foligno, I'm just not a fan. I don't think he keeps going enough on plays, kind of coast. I'm not sure he's going to be around for the long haul, not enough skill.

I thought it was a pretty decent game for us. Yeah, we lost but to a playoff team, one on the rise. Good effort. No glaring uglies. Passing at times looked very sharp. There were a lot of things to be happy about, pertains towards development and the future.

Good game
gold%20five.jpg

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Good: title of this thread!
The strong play of Myers.
Enroth - really kept the Sabres in the game
Stewart/Girgs - no more needs to be said

Honorable mention: Weber, Gorges

Bad: way too many shots against
Team still looks lost in own zone
Gionta-Hogdson-Reinhart combo lacking something (chemistry?)
4th line doesn't bring much either
bottom pairing is nothing to write home about
Special teams

Ugly: Risto got the raw end of the deal on the holding call
Empty seats in the corners on the main level. On opening night???? (bad camera angle, everyone got up at the same time to go wiz?? )

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Really? I thought he was BY FAR the best d-man on the ice. All the decisions I saw were the right ones - opting for the puck vs the hit, staying back instead of pinching.
Myers was by far the best player on the team tonight. I'm not sure what you are talking about. The play he took a penalty on he could have had more faith in Gorges but that was just an awful play by Stewart. When Myers and Gorges were on the ice was about the only time Columbus wasn't just walking in and taking shots at Enroth all night.

I agree. Short of getting on the score sheet, I thought he played a nearly flawless 24 minute night. The only thing you might have an argument against him was for letting his man slip by in the corner to feed Anisimov in the high slot.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I suggest that being the best defenseman on this team isnt much to speak of.
Misplayed passes, pucks past him in the offensive zone, situationally hesitant. I don't blame him for thpenalty

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I saw a bit of this game. How many posts did the Jackets hit in total tonight? On my way home from work I heard 3 posts in just the 1st period. Going to be a loonnngg season.

Kevbeau

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2006
G: Myers/Enroth
B:
-Too many coasters. Seems only Ennis & Myers keep their legs moving. Outside those two this team looks like there's no speed.
- Hodgson. Outside a couple shifts he was out muscled/hustled.
- DeLauries (sp?). Liked his game last year. Hoping he would step it up more.
U:
-Benoit. Meszaros wasn't great, but he got hung out to dry several times.
- Foligno. Coasting the bench while Columbus is heading into the O-Zone on a 3 on 2 is all I need to know. Someone better light fire under his ### or he's done.

Other:
Reinhart - Had some good passes...got bumped a couple times. I like his vision and he'll grow stronger as he matures. Would like to see a bit more hustle, but I think he's been so far above his peers in seeing the play develop it hasn't been necessary to this point.

Last edited:

Karate Johnson*

Foligno probably has no future here. How can mike Folignos son play for his home town team and not give a crap so often.

Reinhart shouldn't be here. He's gonna get hurt. All he needs is develop bad habits in an attempt at self preservation.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Benoit/Meszaros could be our secret 'tank' weapon?

Should we praise Tim Murray for secretly finding tank commanders under the guise of "improving" and making the cap floor?

or

Should we worry about his judgment if he was really trying to improve the team?

Karate Johnson*

Should we praise Tim Murray for secretly finding tank commanders under the guise of "improving" and making the cap floor?

or

We added sherpas to the team for the development of the youth. Nothing more. We aren't "better" in the traditional sense. We are better in the attitude sense.

Murray signed vets with good attitudes who chose to sign here and be those guides, replacing life long Sabres who all had one foot out the door and didn't care.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Misplayed passes, pucks past him in the offensive zone, situationally hesitant. I don't blame him for thpenalty

I only saw the third period, but that's what I was seeing as well. Myers had quite a few :facepalm: moments. It's one thing if he's your fourth best defenseman, but when he is your most important blue-liner, it's no surprise that this team struggles as much as it does. They weren't jarring moments you can't live with, just "we need you to be better" moments. When this team is good, Myers is going to have to have a significantly smaller role.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005

referring to the pass late in the 3rd that hopped over his stick?

whoop-tee-do.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

or

All he did was replace lost players with other players that he felt were better fits. There's no way Murray was thinking he put together a competitive team, just more competitive than it was the balance of last year.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
People expecting 60 points from Reinhart need to get a reality check, his game will take time to develop, it comes with his play style. PATIENCE

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
There is so much overreaction in this thread.... it's rather pathetic.

Can I survive 81 more of these?

Bps21*

How are people surprised by any of this? They never had the puck last year and they got rid of the guy who made everyone better at it to replace him with a shot blocker.

this isn't even advanced stuff...if you don't have the puck you won't win. Murray knows that. 1 down. 81 to go.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
After the first game of the season (which I did not watch - bummer) I am confidently in stating -

"Our lines are awful!! :cry: There's no chemistry :shakehead: We have to change everything!" :sarcasm:

Next game's lines (If I took my sarcasm seriously):

Hodgson-Girgensons-Stewart
Moulson-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Mitchell-McCormick-Flynn
x: DesLauriers

Gorges-Myers
Mezaros-Ristolainen
Strachan-Zadorov
x: Weber, Benoit

Enroth
Neuvirth

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
G
-Enroth
-Girgs
-I thought Foligno wasn't half bad
-Myers-Gorges. Really like that pairing, and I think Gorges will be the best complimentary partner to Myers he'll ever have
-Weber was decent
-Reinhart wasn't bad, can't expect much from him right out of the gate. Was particularly impressed with his give-and-go with Hodgson

B
-Passing/communication
-Benoit
-No one else stood out
-I played Moulson over Tarasenko in fantasy today

U
-Leino

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
and so it begins

I listened to a guy in the row behind me talk about how Reinhart was soft and weak about 10 second after he boxed out a defenseman in the corner, and held his own keeping body position to move the puck up the wall. As an 18 year old kid.

Gonna be a season of hilarity. Or 9 games of it anyways. :p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad