Post-Game Talk (GBU): 1 down 81 to go

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
One of if not the best Sabre last night at keeping possession and tilting the ice to the Jackets end.

Yep. At the game you could see he was getting gassed as the game went along. Its exhausting carrying the puck down the ice , gaining the zone, the passing it to a forward. Only to have the forwards lose possession forcing him to haul ass back to our end. He did that a ton of times last night. Frequently he was out of gas at the end of the shift.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
WARNING - I'm a pro-tanker, so some of the comments might make some posters angry

I was scared during the preseason as they showed multiple games that they had breakout plays and were successful. Thankfully, they didn't use them.:laugh:

The same problems we saw last year surfaced again last night. For someone that is pro-tanking that's great, but for someone who also wants to see them competitive and improve, that's not a good sign. We are waaaaaay too weak on the puck, we are constantly being out muscled for the puck or easily knocked down.

Good: Stewart, Myers for the most part(Had way more positive plays than negative), Weber(simple easy plays; stuck up for Reinhart)

Bad: Everyone else. Every line had issues, you really can't say any lines SHOULD stay together. Very underwhelmed with 1st Line of MES, 2nd Line had no jam, easily pushed off the puck in offensive zone to kill any time in their zone, 3rd line was best, not saying much as outside certain shifts where Stewart was the catalyst they really did nothing with cycling and possessing the puck 4th line needs to be blown up with Nick was the only bright spot.

Ugly: Them throwing everything positive they did in preseason away for the first game. Also, their faceoff ability. Wow, I've never seen a team so bad at faceoffs. It seems the only way we win faceoffs is if the centerman wins it clean.

I was a little worried about how their effort would improve the team, but after watching last night, IF it's a sign of things to come, I shouldn't worry as if you combine last year's team with a decline in goaltending abilities, and add a defense that is trying to learn to play with one another, as I don't think theres a defense pairing that played together last year, then we should be in the hunt for #1 or #2 overall.
We actually won more draws than them.
No, just one bad game never ever playing together before. Both are very much more talented than McBain,Sulzer.

I'm with you. I enjoyed Benoit's game last year, and while he was bad last night, I'm willing to give him a bit more time before lowering him to the level of Sulzer.

Meszaros - who said he signed with Buffalo because we offered him the best terms and dollars - looks slow and ineffective. But I will give him a bit more time as well before blasting him to pieces.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
We actually won more draws than them.

I'm with you. I enjoyed Benoit's game last year, and while he was bad last night, I'm willing to give him a bit more time before lowering him to the level of Sulzer.

Meszaros - who said he signed with Buffalo because we offered him the best terms and dollars - looks slow and ineffective. But I will give him a bit more time as well before blasting him to pieces.

Im not calling him part of the worst pairing ever to play for the Sabres, but I'm certainly warming up to not thinking he spends much time in a Sabres jersey.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
A few random thoughts:

-I thought they were better than most games last year. I just didn't feel like they got hemmed in as frequently as they seemed to last season where they would go long stretches without even cracking the center line.

-I thought their rush plays were far more productive than last year. They actually got the puck deep and made opportunities or even created things off the rush.

-They still gave up too many chances, had too many lapses etc.

-Reinhart was good enough and I think he could play here this year. I just don't see why he should. I'd rather let the kid stew and give him things to work on such as explosiveness and face offs.

-This team is dying for a dynamic skating offensive player.

-All in all, enjoyable game. I am optimistic that the games will be far less one sided feeling this season and therefore more fun to watch; even if they lose.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I don't think Reinhart should be immune to criticism. His age and lack of physical maturity, while given and accepted, aren't valid excuses because the NHL is not meant to be a development league. I'm not expecting him to be our best player or make a huge impact, but I would hope he's held to a higher standard than "not a liability out there".

There were times he'd get knocked over when an NHL player should not be getting knocked down, and right now he does not seem to have the physical speed to play in the NHL. Whenever Hodgson and Gionta would start a rush, Reinhart was almost never in the picture, which should say something given all the criticism of hodgson's skating. I don't know, maybe that is part of the cerebral position play strategy - one time they showed an end camera angle and Reinhart was trailing to play seeming to be looking for a drop pass or rebound, but still he seemed pretty far back out of the play and was just coasting. I know there is an argument that he doesn't need to be fast because he always knows where to be and when to be there but I didn't really see that (in the offensive zone), and all that doesn't matter if he can't physically keep up with the NHL speed yet.

Maybe it was a lot of first game nerves and tentativeness. He showed some flashes in the preseason of having an extra gear. I'm not saying either way I think he should go or stay right now only that there are valid concerns about whether he is actually ready. It wasn't a horrible game for him. He didn't make bad plays with the puck (when he managed to possess it). I just think we're going to need to see a little more from him going forward in order to justify keeping him around this year.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
As per NHL: 29/57 Faceoffs 51%

4 Centers: 45%
Ennis - 5/9
Reinhart - 4/15
Girgensens - 8/15
McCormick - 4/8

Wingers: 80%
Hodgson - 4/4
Stafford - 3/5
Foligno - 1/1

Wouldn't the more reasonable way of doing this be to say everyone did well at faceoffs but Reinhart?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that's already been said

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- besides overall effort only Zemgus and Gorges stood out to me

B- not enough goals scored and too many allowed

nobody played ugly, Reinhart looks like a 14 year old out there, it will be interesting to see if he can adapt enough to stay longer than 9 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad