Proposal: #1 Centre to Vegas

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The Eichel who when healthy is a top 10 center and top 15 scorer in the league. A talent that would only come on the market every 15 or 20 years and he still is likely going to get better.

The injury narrative is starting to get ridiculous. Is it a concern? Yes. But the chances are very likely that Eichel will come back from this injury and return to form. How often nowadays do you see young guys sustain injuries like this and not return? This is not 1985. It is much more likely that Eichel will return and be a superstar than it is he will need to retire or that this injury will linger throughout his career.
if i was a gm , i would let some other gm take on that risk .

Reactions: haveandare

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Eichel for Marc-Andre Fleury and every single draft pick the knights have for the next two seasons.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
How about Fleury and Karlsson for Malkin and DeSmith + something small? Vegas could be happy with Lehner/DeSmith in goal and Stephenson/Malkin for top6 C.
If the Penguins traded Malkin for Fleury back I'd burn every single piece of penguins stuff that I own

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Still think Zib is the best fit from a Vegas perspective here.

He's a goal scorer who would easily fit under their cap situation for next season at 50% retention (less than 3 mil AAV)

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
As an Eichel fan, it would be sick seeing him play in Vegas on a team guaranteed to be in the playoffs for the next few seasons. As a Sabres fan, they have the pieces required to get him. Vegas seems like the perfect spot.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Then there wouldn't be a deal.
Sure they could be...Vegas doesn't want to get rid of stone and rightfully so and ot would not be a deal breaker for the pens. I could think of several players th pens wouod be interested in including MAF.. stone would be nice but far from a deal breaker on either side ....maybe even lehner....Theodore...etc lots decent options but of course we understand this is purely fantasy and the chance of marking leaving is distant at best

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
My guess is Vegas trades Glass, Smith, Krebs, 1st 2021, 1st 2022, and 2nd 2022 for Jack Eichel. They do another separate trade for cap room that involves Fleury, or somehow do a three-way deal where Buffalo retains Smith's contract, later doing a three-way trade that sends Smith back to Vegas.
Way too much
He’s injured and disgruntled
Glass or Krebs roster player( mainly salary) 1st this year, and 1st next year gets it done.
The 1st will be late in the first round that’s mainly why it will require 2. If I’m Vegas I don’t make the deal unless I know Eichel will be back after the 1st 20 games or so. Otherwise you can just waste a contending year on hoping he gets healthy.
That would be a horrible business/ financial decision if they had to wait any longer then that. Their window is open now to the next 3 possibly 4 years. Your not just going to throw 1 of them away. This type of trade adds Eichel to a battle tested playoff roster with only losing 1 guy of their choosing to help defer some salary. If buffalo doesn’t like it, I’d look to the rangers for Zibanejad, Calgary at Lindholm/ Monahan, or other secondary options like Dvorak, possibly signing Danult???
You don’t blow up a playoff winning roster to get 1 injured disgruntled guy, as good as Eichel is. The knights already have a lot of pieces in place. The Flyers suck hairy balls, there’s talk of them possibly going into a massive rebuild. If that’s the case I’d expect the Knights to be in on Couterier. He would warrant a similar package to Eichel. He may not have as much offense, but the rest of his game is better and he’s exactly the type of C you want going into the playoffs. The Sabres have to understand, Eichel is definitely a big fish, but he’s not the only fish in the sea. There are possibly 2-3 guys available in his tier of talent that could be had this offseason as well. I don’t see a bidding war, or a lot of back and fourth going on. Teams will put their best offer up for Eichel straight away. If it’s not good enough for the Sabres they are going to move on and go after the next guy they have on their depth chart. No one is going to wait long for the possibility Eichel recovers and returns to form. They are going to do their best and better their team when they have the opportunity

Last edited:

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
That's very enticing, but I still don't think that would make me part with Krebs. I'd only move him for Eichel. Do the Rangers not want to pay Zib?

I'd be willing to do Glass+ a 1st+ Marchessault/Pacioretty or whatever futures they can return in a trade somewhere else.

Glass and a first is a great basis (given retention of Zib’s contract and/or another piece coming back to Vegas), but the Rangers are very strong on the wings and would probably want to target a LHD as a further addition if possible.

I’d want to re-sign Zibanejad, but with recent major overhauls in the Rangers’ management I can see him being targeted by the new FO as having the most trade value on a team with a good chunk of cap tied up in veteran forwards.

Last edited:

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Vegas doesn't have the cap space to bring in a #1 center. And to create the space it would take in order to fit a guy like Eichel would cripple their depth.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
My thought is Caps move Kuz to VGK for one of their top-6 wingers and then make a separate deal for another available center like Monahan
Monahan has been disappointing. Even spent few games on wing to end season. Don't see that helping caps up the middle at all.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It wouldn't be Vegas if they wouldn't atleast try to get into the Eichel sweepstakes.

He also fills their biggest need by far to a tee. They also have 2 guys in Krebs and Glass that the Sabres certainly would atleast take a long look at as well as other pieces that might be of interest.
A lot would probably depend on the Sabres helping the Knights to make it work capwise by either taking on Fleury (or the Sabres retaining on him to send him to a prefered destination like the Pens) and take on a bit of extra cap.

But if Vegas has shown one thing that it is their willingness to gamble big in the trade (and UFA) market.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Vegas doesn't have the cap space to bring in a #1 center. And to create the space it would take in order to fit a guy like Eichel would cripple their depth.

I don't think it cripples Vegas' depth at all. If one assumes that the package starts with Krebs and a 1st, the next piece is a roster player. Given how many of Vegas' forwards are on some sort of NTC, Tuch makes all the sense in the world. Eichel slips in as the first line center, Stephenson drops to the 3rd line to replace Tuch's spot. Add in a conditional pick in 2022 based on Vegas' playoff performance. (1st if they make the SCF, 2nd if they make the 2nd round, 3rd otherwise)

Sabres would happily take on Fleury's salary and flip him to a desired destination with 50% retained, I would imagine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad