Post-Game Talk: 1/7/18 | Canucks 2 at Habs 5 | Oh yeah, there's a game today edition.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Coach TG

“I didn’t mind our game”

1 win in 14 games and he’s never been mad at the team. Meanwhile Gulitzen is in a playoff spot firing lumber in to row 17.

What a joke of a coach. Fix your PK you dummy. That’s the first step.

Get your team ready to play, that’s the next step.

Learn how to change your game to protect a lead, good teams don’t give up 2 or 3 goal leads constantly.

Guys probably the worst coach in the league. Personell is bad yah, but to not squeeze anything out of mediocre players is also bad.

He benched BB the first 2 games of the year.

Nuff said.

What a dense interpretation.

You do realize that coaches aren't just guys with emotional problems right? They (the decent ones) choose to go off publicly at strategic times. Gulutzan sees his team playing below their potential. They are outside of the playoffs, they don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick, and then at practice he deems that they seem self-satisfied, so he goes off on them. Fair enough, makes sense.

In Green's case, he has a subpar roster that has been injured beyond recognition. Sadly, getting 1 regulation win in 14 games is about how good this team is with its current line up and struggling goalies.
When you have tantrums against guys who know they are outmatched, you lose the room.
In fact, I think that is part of what happened with Tortorella here.

"Fix y0ur pk you dummy"

Oh, you mean the PK that is missing 3 of his top 4 most important pkers from the start of the year (Dorsett, Horvat, Sutter), and it's best defenseman? That one? How is he supposed to fix it when Jim "waiver fodder" Dowd is suddenly his most reliable penalty killing forward?
Worst coach in the league? Give your head a shake.

And I always know to disregard people when they call him a bad coach and then cite his handling of Boeser. Does anyone think that maybe he was helped by that rest? Or that there were things going on behind the scenes that necessitated that move? It certainly hasn't adversely affected Boeser.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No way can we be angry at Green for this compared to Willie. At least Green can ****ing line match lines, Willie couldn't do jack **** for coaching. Couldn't line match, constantly played ****ty players as favourites... ffs he even gave up the last change in the playoffs against the Flames on home ice. Inexcusable.

This year we are injured, Sedins are old as **** and slow as ****, and our defense still sucks.

I'm all for criticism for where its due, but Green is YEARS ahead of Willie's ability to coach an actual ****ing hockey team

You guys are in for a rude awakening.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I pretty much agree but.

Goldobin is being treated much like tryamkin. Nic Dowd is the new Megna. And literally in this very game he pulled Nilsson basically when Montreal had the puck and they scored a picosecond later.

I don't think we hated Willie that much halfway through his first season. As green goes on, he is showing a lot of the same annoying tendencies... He does deploy his players better though. I have little doubt we could have beaten Calgary with green.

Sure Green line matches, but he has his pets too. Is Green the issue? Probably not. Is he the solution? Probably not. Is he a massive upgrade over Willie? Probably not.

Dowd is the new Megna, as you’ve said. He’s getting far less out of the veterans.

Eriksson may be lucky to break his 24pts rom last year but now he is utterly useless in every facet of the game.

Goldobin will be gone soon. The kids are still being treated the same. Virtanen is maybe getting a bit better treatment, but it’s be hardly anything to credit Green for. Virtanen earns more ice time and somehow end soon up benched. How is this different than Willie? I thought Green knew how to deploy prospects? Guess not.

This defense looks like entire shit. Everyone absolutely sucks except for Tanev. Canucks give up 3.33 goals per game this year compared to 2.96 last year. Injuries are no excuse. Only thing is the Canucks this year are scoring at a 2.61 goals per game clip, a remarkable increase from the 2.21 goals per game last year. Looks like Green’s up-tempo play is working after all.

Once again, injuries are not really an excuse. Willie played Chaput etc lots..imagine if he had a Vanek? A full year of Boeser? Who’s to say we don’t see the same results...better results?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s not goaltending that is the biggest issue. The biggest issues are team defense (two breakaways and multiple odd man rushes against in the first alone for example), the pathetic blueline, effort and ability up front. Fix those things then you get to move on to complaining about the goaltenders who more often than not are hung out dry.

They gave up nearly 50 shots to the Habs last night....

In Green's case, he has a subpar roster that has been injured beyond recognition. Sadly, getting 1 regulation win in 14 games is about how good this team is with its current line up and struggling goalies.

Last night and for most of these 14 games they have been dressing 2 farm hands (Goldobin, Chaput). They aren't injured beyond recognition. They are simply a very poorly constructed team.

The depth acquired to insulate the youth and the teams in times of duress has only managed to insulate the team against a playoff spot. Pretty good conductors for the bottom 3 though...

This is a team that the 20 guys dressed last night combine for a $55 mil cap hit. Yes they are missing three guys who account for ~$15 mil of cap (not in that $55 mil of course) but nothing excuses this performance over the last 5-6 weeks given the money being spent and the supposed experience on this team.

They are a complete disaster in ability, system and effort.

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
No way can we be angry at Green for this compared to Willie. At least Green can ****ing line match lines, Willie couldn't do jack **** for coaching. Couldn't line match, constantly played ****ty players as favourites... ffs he even gave up the last change in the playoffs against the Flames on home ice. Inexcusable.

This year we are injured, Sedins are old as **** and slow as ****, and our defense still sucks.

I'm all for criticism for where its due, but Green is YEARS ahead of Willie's ability to coach an actual ****ing hockey team

You DO realize that we are currently doing worse than we did with Willie last year (with a far inferior team) and that Willie is currently undefeated as a coach for Hockey Canada (running the table at the Spengler Cup with a team of odds and sods). Sure he had Miller but TG has Boeser, Vanek, Gagner, Pouliot etc. who perhaps aren't all starts but they also aren't Megna and Vey. Hell Willie had a six game winning streak without Dorsett and Guddy in the lineup. The hate for him here is ridiculous.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Markstrom is bad I mean are people really denying this?
At even strength he's actually decent, with a .923 SV%. On the PK (and PP) he's atrocious, but he's not the sole reason for our bad PK. And yes, he lets in a bad goal far too often.

This is a few weeks old, but his 5on5 numbers have stayed the same (he's on the far left above 92)

Back when this chart was made Nilsson had a .927 SV%, it's now .913 at even strength.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
green is burning his dmen out playing a risky up-tempo style when they team is not good enough to back it up. they have been burned now so often they no longer care.

he should have adjusted after horvat went down and it became apparent that the team could not adjust to his absence. 20 games of willie ball would not have saved the team's season, but it would have sheltered the younger players.

now his only hope is that they play their way out of this.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
green is burning his dmen out playing a risky up-tempo style when they team is not good enough to back it up. they have been burned now so often they no longer care.

he should have adjusted after horvat went down and it became apparent that the team could not adjust to his absence. 20 games of willie ball would not have saved the team's season, but it would have sheltered the younger players.

remember when we had players at the top of our roster who could will us to victory?

The amount of issues with this lineup is layered and fully healthy we likely weren't a playoff team.

Horvat and Sutter injured down the middle has taken away our best 2 skaters and best match up players. Henrik has tried to step up but hes 37 and gets broken down defensively. Gagner is a complete liability at C in the top3 lines. Dowd is at best a 4th liner. Chaput is not a NHL player.

On the wings we could use some more speed and ability to drive the net but we've been decent offensively. Defensively too many passengers unwilling to win battles. Eriksson and Granlund have been the biggest disappointments for sure.

Defensively we have been a mess. Tanev out is just such a big loss that we cannot mitigate at all. Edler cannot handle #1 duties, he's getting exposed. Hutton Stecher and Gudbranson have had too many stretches of poor play. Del Zotto i don't think has been as bad as his +/- but he's obviously not a defensive stalwart and it's not like we have been able to shelter him with anyone. I would place him with Biega myself??? Pouliot has been junk for about half his games now and quite frankly the D have also been left out to dry by the forwards way too often.

In goal Markstrom and Nilsson have given way too many rebounds back into danger areas and typically leak a bad goal almost every game.

This is a poorly constructed lineup thats been devastated by the loss of its best players. This is not Travis Green's fault

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Willie had the same problem with a bad roster and he went negative. They still lost, the games looked tighter, but all it did was try and mask the depth of the problem, it didn't fix it.

I'd rather Green lose playing more exciting hockey then lose playing dull hockey even if it exposes how bad the roster is. Exposing the roster is a good thing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Willie had the same problem with a bad roster and he went negative. They still lost, the games looked tighter, but all it did was try and mask the depth of the problem, it didn't fix it.

I'd rather Green lose playing more exciting hockey then lose playing dull hockey even if it exposes how bad the roster is. Exposing the roster is a good thing.

yep, we'd still lose probably just as much.

my primary concern is developing the players on the roster not being entertaining. "exposing" a young dman by asking too much of them in a hopeless situation can ruin them. funnily enough, our young dmen look shell shocked lately. i'd rather see gagner look shell shocked trying to generate offence with nobody on the points half the time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Have to agree with this.....Canucks d-men are pinching like mad; over-handling the puck in the neutral zone and just bleeding chances and odd-man rushes. I realize that some of the forwards like Vanek, Gagner, Goldobin, Eriksson and even the Sedins are part of the problem, because they're too slow to come back and help out.

But the Canuck d-corps is so offensively challenged, when they turn the puck over it's like a track meet and they just get run over.. I grant you this style is entertaining, but when your goalies can't bail you out with a big save, you're going to be on the losing end of the scoreboard most nights.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
yep, we'd still lose probably just as much.

my primary concern is developing the players on the roster not being entertaining. "exposing" a young dman by asking too much of them in a hopeless situation can ruin them. funnily enough, our young dmen look shell shocked lately. i'd rather see gagner look shell shocked trying to generate offence with nobody on the points half the time.

I'm fine with it. Green is giving his players the opportunity to succeed rather than trying to make them not fail. I don't want to see a the team become the accountability free zone Edmonton went through a few years back, but I don't want them stifled either. These should be growing years for the prospects, the time to tighten up and win comes later. We need guys like Boeser growing his offensive game, learning what works. Pouliot is never going to morph into a 10 point/year defensive, if Pouliot are going to survive in this league it is because he grows his offensive game along with his defensive one. Green holds his young players accountable while accepting mistakes happen, some probably feel hard done but overall he's been pretty fair.

It also lets ownership/management know where they are in the development cycle. Having players play up a D pairing or two does expose them, you can use that in your planning ie they have #2, #3, a whole bunch of possible 5-8s. You can't keep all of them, some have to be upgraded, you know who can't play up the pairings which is going to help who to toss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad