Post-Game Talk: 1/7/18 | Canucks 2 at Habs 5 | Oh yeah, there's a game today edition.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What can you say? Bad team looking tired. Helter skelter game (probably a given considering the skill levels of the teams) . I thought Montreal was awful but somehow we made them look like world beaters.

Maybe the cold weather is causing ice problems but ice did seem very hard yet sticky and puck was bouncing all over the place. When players fell (which was frequent) they slid half a rink on their butts.

Good

Boeser - so much better than anyone else on the team.

Bad

Defense was overall tragic. Del Zotto was not very good but probably the best. Gudbranson started ok but worn down and started letting people in behind him. Edler actually got a puck through on the net but often bungled away the puck and chances. (should be trade bait frankly) Stecher was abused in his own end. Hutton was meh and still looks slow. And then there was POULIOT. At this point I'm thinking Pedan>>>>>>>>>>>>Pouliot. And that's no endorsement of Pedan. Little to say about Pouliot other than he is consistently the worse player on the ice and can't play at this level. Just abysmal in this game and the team needs to give Wiercoich a look. Love the pro scouting on this team.

Eriksson - another example of our great pro scouting. Is there a worse contract in the NHL??? Sleep walks through games and mostly looks disinterested. If he is trying, it sure not apparent. Hopefully can find some way of getting him on long term disability.

Gaunce - no show in this one after a good game in Toronto. Did nothing all game. Like a statue on the PK. Montreal passed the puck around at will and about the only time the puck came out was when the Habs screwed up.

Chaput - all fire and fury but gets nothing done.

Vanek - I think his worse game. Missed any chance he got and was bad in his end. Made little effort even maintain his position defensively. Demoted off the line with Boeser for good reason

Gagner - confirmed again that he can not play in his end. Net front presence on defense is dreadful. Seems to lose all track of positioning or his check. Allowed open shots from the slot all game. (including the winner)

Others

Sedins - had few good shifts offensively when they got matched up with some of the dregs on the Montreal defense but overall a tough game. Can't produce offense when needed and gave up too much in their end. Looks like they are really starting to fade (especially on longer road trips) and this seems symptomatic of where the team is going.

Bearschi - had some jump and got few chances.

Dowd - started well but was done by the start of the third.

Nilsson - could have been a rout of a extreme dimension had he not played well. Still first goal was very suspect.

All chance of making the playoffs is absolutely done and everything must be focused on the future. Been said a thousand times (at a minimum) but with our management that's unlikely to happen.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Pretty sure the signing bonuses are lockout protected since it's tied to dates, not salary for playing the games.
Well the concern would be can we buy that out and get him off the cap. That has to do more with CBA than anything else.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ha..ha!....Green basically threw his group under the bus....said "his best players were two 37-year olds; a 20-year old; and a goaltender"...pretty well sums it up. Eriksson contract shaping up as the worst FA signing in team history. Whoever supported it in the pro scouting department should walk the plank. Just awful.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
orcatown said:
Sedins - had few good shifts offensively when they got matched up with some of the dregs on the Montreal defense but overall a tough game. Can't produce offense when needed and gave up too much in their end. Looks like they are really starting to fade (especially on longer road trips) and this seems symptomatic of where the team is going.

This is like 3 seasons in a row now where they consistently look this way on the second game of back-to-backs.

In baseball, it's pretty much a given that if there is a day game after a night game, your catcher and your 38 year olds are probably getting the game off. But in hockey, this for some reason can never happen. It's obvious that the Sedins are old and can't handle back-to-backs. Just let them sit for a game; we're not going to be much worse off. It is irritating to me that this is never a thing.

Speaking of lineup decisions, Boeser-Gagner-Vanek was a good line and predictably the latter two can't play when Boeser is taken away. Dowd and Gaunce were also working well together so you split them up and both have poor games.

Duckhugs

Apr 11, 2016
Man these teams deserve eachother in a league of our own both have left over casseroles for rosters including the worst goalie in the world for the Canucks

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I
If you can send him to the A, that might light a fire on his ass because the A is not exactly pleasant.
Sit him on the press box is like giving him a holiday.
If you can send him to the A, that might light a fire on his ass because the A is not exactly pleasant.
is he not on a holiday allready,,,,,i dont care anymore...Brock and the young kids comming up are the only hope...

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

He could also decide to refuse assignment and we could terminate his contract. That's pretty much the best case scenario here but the NHLPA would lose their collective **** at him if he does that.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He could also decide to refuse assignment and we could terminate his contract. That's pretty much the best case scenario here but the NHLPA would lose their collective **** at him if he does that.
Not the first time Linden pissed them off

Reactions: timw33

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Coach TG

“I didn’t mind our game”

1 win in 14 games and he’s never been mad at the team. Meanwhile Gulitzen is in a playoff spot firing lumber in to row 17.

What a joke of a coach. Fix your PK you dummy. That’s the first step.

Get your team ready to play, that’s the next step.

Learn how to change your game to protect a lead, good teams don’t give up 2 or 3 goal leads constantly.

Guys probably the worst coach in the league. Personell is bad yah, but to not squeeze anything out of mediocre players is also bad.

He benched BB the first 2 games of the year.

Nuff said.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ha..ha!....Green basically threw his group under the bus....said "his best players were two 37-year olds; a 20-year old; and a goaltender"...pretty well sums it up. Eriksson contract shaping up as the worst FA signing in team history. Whoever supported it in the pro scouting department should walk the plank. Just awful.

what an outrageous insult to the age gap fillers

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

He's not wrong though. This team is fringe AHL fodder right now. Everyone except for those mentioned should absolutely be ASHAMED to call themselves a Canuck.

But the one person who should be most embarrassed is, surprise surprise, the fat man up stairs.

He should walk home naked, dragging behind him, the stone of shame.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Worst game of the year. My god what do we need to do to get rid of Edler and Ericsson? My word these two are anchors that I simply can’t watch anymore. It’s just too much for a fan to bare. They both seem so disinterested in winning, which is why they’re probably happy to be in Vancouver.

I predict this team won’t make the playoffs with Ericsson on the roster.

Tank on!

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
The Eriksson signing is inexcusable... But the crown still goes to Messier.

Though I suppose the argument could be that it led to the WCE era but still... Eriksson is a distant 2nd.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The Eriksson signing is inexcusable... But the crown still goes to Messier.

Though I suppose the argument could be that it led to the WCE era but still... Eriksson is a distant 2nd.

Mercifully the Messier contract was only 3 years long, but the negative impact it had on the entire franchise will definitely outweigh Eriksson—Erikssons contract is really going to be a pain in the butt in the last couple of years once we have a few expiring ELCs for guys like Boeser and Pettersson.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I personally don’t see much net gain from firing Willie and hiring Green.

I'm not happy with some of the stuff Green does, but simply being able to line match and make adjustments on the fly make him a massive upgrade from that dip shit mustachio idiot.

Right now he's not my focus. As the food chain goes, Benning's on deck. He is in everyone's cross hair, and rightfully so.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm not happy with some of the stuff Green does, but simply being able to line match and make adjustments on the fly make him a massive upgrade from that dip **** mustachio idiot.

Right now he's not my focus. As the food chain goes, Benning's on deck. He is in everyone's cross hair, and rightfully so.

Except we have managed to have less pts at this point in the year with Green, than we did with Willie. Kind of funny. If Benning is fired, I hope it means a cleaning out of everyone in the process.

Reactions: Zippgunn

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I personally don’t see much net gain from firing Willie and hiring Green.
Well, less Megna, less too many man on the ice, some changes to the PP, less Granlund and Sutter on the 1st line, more open so at least we see the other team score more on us so there is some entertainment, less twitching on the bench and “real _____” during interviews.

Reactions: Toxic0n

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Except we have managed to have less pts at this point in the year with Green, than we did with Willie. Kind of funny. If Benning is fired, I hope it means a cleaning out of everyone in the process.

True that, and pretty f***ing sad...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well, less Megna, less too many man on the ice, some changes to the PP, less Granlund and Sutter on the 1st line, more open so at least we see the other team score more on us so there is some entertainment, less twitching on the bench and “real _____” during interviews.

Keep Green here for 3 years, and we will all find little things to hate too. I hope it doesn't last that long.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Keep Green here for 3 years, and we will all find little things to hate too. I hope it doesn't last that long.
Yeah I don’t see too much difference in terms of results. It’s really concerning how utter terrible we are defensively. It’s like the team doesn’t know how to defend at all.

The only real big difference is Willie does a lot of really really obvious stuff that pisses you off. Megna on the PP, 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line and 4th line. Or the time he decided to go 1-2-3-4 in the playoffs. I mean that shit was infuriating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad