GDT: 1/4 Boston Bruins vs Winnipeg Jets 1pm ET NESN/98.5 FM

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Woof. Catching up the next day whilst sober and this thing is still rolling.

Many fish caught. The seeming angst among some here is an interesting sociological experiment. If my ability to enjoy my favorite sports team, player, "exciting, talented rookie" was impeded by opinions on an internet message board, I'd of quit watching sports a long time ago and taken up knitting. We're all entitled to our opinions, no matter how right or wrong you think they are. Conversely, if those opinions are bothering you that much that you feel compelled to deal with them, then I do question your intestinal fortitude to internet effectively. It really isn't as serious as some are making it. :laugh:

As for the game...really impressed by Florek. I'm by no means one that dumps on Caron every chance I get, but as opposed to JC who often blends into the background for me, I really like what I saw Florek doing with his size in his limited minutes. Pretty strong on his skates, knows how to use his size both when handling the puck and mucking along the boards. I'd certainly like to see him more as he's already on a hot streak having played very well recently in Providence....but I think he's earned some looks down the road.

Tuukka was solid...was surprised to see the amount of shots WPG took. It's not surprising to see him bounce back after a rough game as that's kinda what he does.

Also really impressed by Krug. We know he's got talent and we know he's struggled some as of late, but what was good was to see him snap back relatively well with a strong game, both on the score sheet and in his own end.

Krejci was ridiculous. I do think he's playing near Selke-levels of hockey right now, as well as doing it consistently, and considering we're halfway through the season, that's an awesome sign.

Everyone's favorite topic....I thought Spooner was fairly invisible, at least compared to his recent games. He didn't make any mistakes, had a couple of decent chances that just weren't finished. I do think the bigger teams that can catch up to him will negate him somewhat, and say what we will about the Peg, while they have completely crap defense...they do know how to throw their bodies around (indeed, at the expense of actually playing "defense). I saw him more actively involved backchecking than in recent games, which is good. This is kinda why I've wanted to see him go against those big physical teams that can also play good, physical defense at the same time, like we'll be seeing next week. He's still young at 21 and still has some growing to do, although I wonder if him bulking up for strength will have any impact on his biggest asset...his speed.

Westward ho.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
And for 3 million dollars, Kelly's offensive game is nowhere near where it should be and thus, he will be criticized until he improves on it.

It goes both ways.......

People who think Kelly and Campbell play a two-way game won't buy that.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
But, after the next 3 games we should have a better idea of how much it could hurt.

Noticed yesterday Campbell got 16:28 of ice time to Spooner's 12:12. Guess the coaches aren't loving him missing assignments either.

I would also add that Soup and Paille have been playing very well together lately-and I liked them with Florek on the right wing. They are earning extra ice time.

I want to see Spooner with a better right wing (Louie, Smith or even Kelly)-Fraser hasn't done a lot to wow me.

I still think a lot of Spooner's weaknesses are the kinds you improve in the NHL (easier to have the same habits in the AHL and be successful-NHL talent will burn you). When Louie and Kelly return it isn't going to hurt Spooner to go back down but I do think he will make more strides with NHL game experience.

I like the speed and passing dynamic from Spooner and he is very good at offensive zone entry (one reason his unit on the PP seems to be having success is they don't waste tons of time entering the zone).

I like Spooner and what he brings-not sure the AHL is the place he is going to learn best how to correct his weaknesses but he isn't going to get worse if he goes back down and he will certainly be the forward they go to during playoffs to replace anyone injured 3rd line or higher.

But I gotta say I love his speed, skating and passing game-it's almost like seeing a mix of Savard and Krejci-his day is coming even if it isn't right now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
But, after the next 3 games we should have a better idea of how much it could hurt.

Noticed yesterday Campbell got 16:28 of ice time to Spooner's 12:12. Guess the coaches aren't loving him missing assignments either.

excellent points as usual. Against the Jets/Preds and Isles, those mistakes aren`t nearly as likely to be pounced on as they might be on this roadie against the talent the B`s will be playing.

This will be about as stiff of a test as he`s seen in his young NHL career

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Those guys aren't centers.

Doesn't really matter does it? Campbell basically played 2:30 of additional minutes he typically wouldn't play under normal circumstances. Minutes that didn't effect Spooner's minutes at all. Plus the 4th line was rolling with a couple of goals. Those are relatively normal minutes for Spooner, Soderberg and the 3rd line. At no point was he benched for Campbell or anything along those lines.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I am willing to bet Spooner plays limited minutes out west due to the opposition having last change.

Opposing teams know the third line has two AHLers and an NHL unofficial rookie-they are going to seek to expose that line-and any good coach would do so.

I picture Spooner's line playing much like they did during the Canadian swing-put out on the ice then quickly changed out if needed for match ups.

Spooner will shine on the PP if we manage to draw more than one or two penalties.

I think the west coast trip will also be a good measure of the state of our defense without Seids. I think that trip will clue Chia into just what our needs are. Good news this season is that there already seem to be some basement swelling teams that may look to deal. I think the key is dealing early and knowing who we can afford to lose in a trade.

I don't think our team is made better by spending assets on another third line D-man-the team has those in spades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad