GDT: 1/4/15 "Hey, Remember That 20 Round Shootout?" - Panthers VS Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
My hopes is that it does not become a Mika Zibanejad like offseason.

The guy bulked up like crazy this year and looked slow and out of shape.

I don't think he has the body type... but I will compare himy to nuge physically and nuge is night and day different this year compared to last... improved his shot drastically and looks way stronger.... huby looks improved from last year and I think can take a bigger step this offseason so long he puts the work in

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
I don't think he has the body type... but I will compare himy to nuge physically and nuge is night and day different this year compared to last... improved his shot drastically and looks way stronger.... huby looks improved from last year and I think can take a bigger step this offseason so long he puts the work in

Yeah i like the Nuge comparision it makes alot of sense with both of them having the same body type.

And i feel like the shot is a thing he really needs to work on mostly with the skating being up there as well.

And yeah Zibanejad was already big before so people wer complaining why he decided to get even bigger :laugh:

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
On the plus side I liked what I saw out of Hayes playing with Barkov.

The 4th line brought their usual energy.

"Top" two lines are a concern right now. I don't think the Panthers have played a complete game in the past three games.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Yeah i like the Nuge comparision it makes alot of sense with both of them having the same body type.

And i feel like the shot is a thing he really needs to work on mostly with the skating being up there as well.

And yeah Zibanejad was already big before so people were complaining why he decided to get even bigger :laugh:
Nugent Hopkins has decent NHL speed and the quick burst in his first three strides that Huberdeau doesn't. George Richards says it best: "he needs to move his feet." Some guys never come back from the hip surgery, and it's possible Huberdeau is one of them. He had this past off season to get better and the only thing he did was bulk up to around 190. The rest of his game remained flat or regressed.

There is no doubt that Gallant wants more speed in the lineup and Huberdeau doesn't bring enough to the table to offset this. He is an accurate passer when he has open ice, but other teams have learned to pressure him and he will cough it up.

I'm not happy with Barkov's game at this point, but at least he has an upside. I don't know if coaching or another off season is going to help Huberdeau. He may have reached his peak.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
As unimpressed as I am with Hubby, out of the people projected top 5 he's third best... and to say you would have drafted some sleeper is just out of the question. We gotta hope he improves on his game

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
As unimpressed as I am with Hubby, out of the people projected top 5 he's third best... and to say you would have drafted some sleeper is just out of the question. We gotta hope he improves on his game
He was definitely the best offensive player available at the time, although I had he and Strome about equal. It was a weak offensive draft except for the first two guys.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Nugent Hopkins has decent NHL speed and the quick burst in his first three strides that Huberdeau doesn't. George Richards says it best: "he needs to move his feet." Some guys never come back from the hip surgery, and it's possible Huberdeau is one of them. He had this past off season to get better and the only thing he did was bulk up to around 190. The rest of his game remained flat or regressed.

There is no doubt that Gallant wants more speed in the lineup and Huberdeau doesn't bring enough to the table to offset this. He is an accurate passer when he has open ice, but other teams have learned to pressure him and he will cough it up.

I'm not happy with Barkov's game at this point, but at least he has an upside. I don't know if coaching or another off season is going to help Huberdeau. He may have reached his peak.

This is funny...peak...lol

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I think Huberdeau's problems come down to his skating. He gets zero burst out of his stride and when he is at speed he looks like he is skating in mud. It's no wonder he has no offensive game. Speed creates chances. His skating is direly bad. If he can fix that, we'll probably see a nice jump in his offensive production, but he is still painfully slow, just like he was last season. I was hoping this off-season he would have worked on that, but it doesn't seem he has.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I think Huberdeau's problems come down to his skating. He gets zero burst out of his stride and when he is at speed he looks like he is skating in mud. It's no wonder he has no offensive game. Speed creates chances. His skating is direly bad. If he can fix that, we'll probably see a nice jump in his offensive production, but he is still painfully slow, just like he was last season. I was hoping this off-season he would have worked on that, but it doesn't seem he has.

He thinks he can dangle around the defensemen like he did in juniors, but it won't work. So he's barely generating his own offense because he doesn't have much else to help him.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I pretty much blame the loss on the 0 for 5 PP. With a team like the Caps who have a great PP, you have to convert on your chances. Especially when you have a 5 on 3. I'm in agreement with taking Campbell and Jokinen off of it and test out some other strategies. Try the four forwards and see what happens to possibly generate more scoring.

I'm on the fence with Bolland. I will always hate his contract and can't blame him completely for the loss today. He is a bit of a pest to play against and is helping out with scoring chances, but a lot of what he doesn't show up on the scoresheet. I think if we signed him for a year or two at say $3.5M a season, we'd all be a lot less crucial of him overall.

Also, I've said this so many times to myself when we lose a close game and almost come back in the end. Why do we only use that 100% effort when it's crucial to do so and not throughout the entire game?

I'm hoping this game lit a fire under their ass and we can win hopefully 2 of 3 games in Western Canada to keep up with the race. This was a big game to win and the team didn't have enough urgency in them to do the job. I'm just glad we don't play the Caps again this season. They're one pain in the ass to play against.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I can't count how many times I've seen Kucherov to Johnson or Johnson to Kucherov cross-ice one-timer. Today it was Backstrom to OV one-timer in the net. Too bad we dont have a combo like that or else maybe we would score more powerplay goals.

anders and

Nov 16, 2013
The powerplay sucks. They are passing it too much on the blueline and when a shot comes its too slow and anticipated, so it gets blocked or the goalie catches it. They should stress and focus on a quick release. That is how e.g Ovechkin scores his pp goals.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
my biggest issue with Huberdeau is actually his shot. It's terrible.

Not only is it not hard, not accurate, but it also takes him forever to get away.

No one respects his shot. they know he's going to try to dangle, and as good as his hands are, a one-trick pony doesn't work in the nhl.

If defensmen had to respect his shot, they'd have to play him differently in various situations, opening up room for him.

He's got one of the worst shots on the team. It's soft, only one who might shoot softer is Campbell.

It's inaccurate. He either misses the net by a mile or shoots it right into the goalies chest.

and it takes him forever to release. that's the trifecta of a non-goal scorer.

He has great hands, and great vision. Plenty of players have success with Huberdeau-type speed if they can shoot. But he can't.

there's only one slow, terrible shooter that I can remember that has carved himself a long, successful NHL career and that's Mike Ribeiro.

He needs to improve his shot, drastically. Even if it was mediocre it would open up alot of options for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad