GDT: 1/27/15 "Rev It Up" - Red Wings VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
at least barkov with 11 pts in his last 11 games. too bad we can't have barkov producing & be winning games.

TheEkbombIsReal

Paaaaaanthers
Aug 19, 2011
Gothenburg
Didnt watch this game. Nice to see Barkov, Bjuggy and Ekblad putting up points. We gotta start winning soon.... 3 PP goals in 1 game, has this ever happened before in Panthers history? :laugh:

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Really looking forward to see who we replace flash, up shall, bergenheim, and kopecky wth this summer. Wouldn't mind see some replacements on defense as well.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I really liked when Barkov took control before the Boyes goal. He just grabbed the puck with the intensity and poise that stars do. It's like saying "I have the puck now and watch as I make a sweet play that directly affects the game; try and stop me"

Huberdeau worked hard but I saw him miss a lot of passes. Bjugstad had a productive night on the scoresheet, but I've seen him play a lot better. Ekblad was incredible. He is a difference maker, but the problem is we lack more of the same. You can't win with just one guy like that. I was also aggravated at Kulikov's shot selection on his scoring chance. Far side top corner? Just keep the puck low. The powerplay finally perked up. Seriously, it took 40+ games of failure to realize we need 1D and 4F out there?! Now if only we can figure out a break-in that works besides the dump-in. Miller's shorty was a direct result of us not being prepared with a premeditated break-in plan. Bjugstad trying to beat all the PK'ers? Really Gallant, that's how your team breaks in?! Is that what they practice?! That's a freaking joke. Fix it.

Last edited:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Bergenheim -3 in first game after being a healthy scratch. On that goal where Olsen mishandled the puck behind the net, did anyone notice Bergenheim just floating in the slot puck watching as Luongo robbed Weiss then Glendenning was all alone to put it in? Anyway, not saying it wasn't Olsen's fault, but Bergy didn't look like he cared at all.

Also, Upshall -1 in under 10 minutes TOI...I hope we can get anything for this guy at the deadline. Same with Flash, Bergy, Kopecky.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Looking at the highlights, IMO it wasn't the change to 4 forwards that suddenly made the PP work. The main thing was that the 3 forwards up front didn't stop moving their feet and tried to make themselves available. We didn't see that previously, they'd just stand still while the d-men played catch.

The mentality has been changed during the break.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Looking at the highlights, IMO it wasn't the change to 4 forwards that suddenly made the PP work. The main thing was that the 3 forwards up front didn't stop moving their feet and tried to make themselves available. We didn't see that previously, they'd just stand still while the d-men played catch.

The mentality has been changed during the break.

Yes. Lots of crossovers and movement. Barkov's goal had three crossovers right before which made the gap in the PK giving him space to make the shot.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Good game last night guys. If it wasn't for that 10 minute collapse in the second period, you probably win the game. Not many games are won when giving up 3 PP goals

Florida has had Detroit's number the past couple of seasons, you guys have a bright future IMO. It's hard to believe Ekblad is only 18 years old. He looked like a seasoned veteran last night

I was just wondering, who do you think is going to stick around long-term besides the obvious Huberdeau, Ekblad, Bjugstad, Barkov, Luongo. I was wondering if Jokinen would get moved depending on how you're looking in the standings come late February. I was also curious about Hayes. He's already been moved once, is he really apart of the future there?

Good luck the rest of the way

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Good game last night guys. If it wasn't for that 10 minute collapse in the second period, you probably win the game. Not many games are won when giving up 3 PP goals

Florida has had Detroit's number the past couple of seasons, you guys have a bright future IMO. It's hard to believe Ekblad is only 18 years old. He looked like a seasoned veteran last night

I was just wondering, who do you think is going to stick around long-term besides the obvious Huberdeau, Ekblad, Bjugstad, Barkov, Luongo. I was wondering if Jokinen would get moved depending on how you're looking in the standings come late February. I was also curious about Hayes. He's already been moved once, is he really apart of the future there?

Hayes should get an extension, and while he's not a core piece, I think he should be sticking around for quite some time unless he wants to get out of here.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Jokinen was moved.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the pp looked a lot better. not only did they move and cycle the puck a lot better but they actually were taking one-timers and getting shots on net. boyes, bjugstad and pirri were all set up for one-timers. and moving the puck more efficiently, like that bjugstad assist on the barkov goal, that was beautiful to find him on the far side complete the pass and finish.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012

JJ is signed long term

hayes seems to be a part of the future as a middle 6 winger on the PP.

our young core looks like something around huberdeau, bjugstad, barkov, ekblad, gudbranson. then you got a bunch of players who looks to be part of the team for a long time, eventually in a similiar situation as hawks were after they won the cup in 2010, a lot of really good players that simply were amazing complimentary pieces, but will eventually leave while the rest stays

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Considering JJ's history, I wouldn't be that surprised if he was traded during the 3rd year of that contract.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Dylan Olsen is so bad. Don't understand people that keep defending him.

Just because he's our 6th defensman doesn't make him any less terrible. Yes he doesn't play alot, but that didn't stop him from losing the game for us with the stupid turnover on the third goal and getting walked on the fourth.

Considering he has no considerable upside, he really is beyond useless.

I can't imagine Petrovic could be any worse than he is. That being said, O'Brien is probably next on the call-up list, and he too is hilariously bad.

The Olsen turnover was dreadful. And I didn't see the game yesterday. But I have watched most games this season, and he has been a serviceable defenseman for us. The golden boy Ekblad has made some mistakes recently. Campbell our highest paid defensiveman makes mistakes. Kulikov while great earlier this season, has started making more mistakes recently.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that pretty much every player makes mistakes. And Olsen is our weakest Dman currently playing. And he's paid like one. He has made some blunders, but he has also made some good plays. I know our defense has started creaking recently, but I believe with our core as well as our prospects, that there is not too much to be concerned about.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Barkov hit another level last night. He looked like a ppg player. So much more dynamic, a quick first step, making great moves, etc. Hopefully he's starting to break out.

Bjugstad also looked like a dominate force. His line was really solid. Pirri is starting to revert back to the offensive player he showed glimpses of. With him on the PP as a key shooter, there is no way he doesn't stay in the lineup. Pirri and Bjugstad have the best shots on the team, and it's not even close.

The defense was terrible and if it doesn't fix itself soon we're going to be toast. Olsen was obviously the worst but even Mitchell and Kulikov weren't very strong. Ekblad looked tired at times, that diving during the shorty seemed unnecessary to me and way too early to give up on the play taking a risk like that. Guds like Kulikov were out of position quite a bit.

I think if Tallon wants this team to make the playoffs we go after a guy like Methot to shore up the third pairing as soon as possible. It would be nice if Tallon gave Guds a legit veteran to play with for once. Look at the effect Mitchell has had with Kulikov and Ekblad with Campbell.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Barkov hit another level last night. He looked like a ppg player. So much more dynamic, a quick first step, making great moves, etc. Hopefully he's starting to break out.

Bjugstad also looked like a dominate force. His line was really solid. Pirri is starting to revert back to the offensive player he showed glimpses of. With him on the PP as a key shooter, there is no way he doesn't stay in the lineup. Pirri and Bjugstad have the best shots on the team, and it's not even close.

The defense was terrible and if it doesn't fix itself soon we're going to be toast. Olsen was obviously the worst but even Mitchell and Kulikov weren't very strong. Ekblad looked tired at times, that diving during the shorty seemed unnecessary to me and way too early to give up on the play taking a risk like that. Guds like Kulikov were out of position quite a bit.

I think if Tallon wants this team to make the playoffs we go after a guy like Methot to shore up the third pairing as soon as possible. It would be nice if Tallon gave Guds a legit veteran to play with for once. Look at the effect Mitchell has had with Kulikov and Ekblad with Campbell.

Good post. I agree about methot. Would like to see another veteran D on the Team.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I suppose it would be cheaper than getting a scoring winger.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I suppose it would be cheaper than getting a scoring winger.

I think a scoring winger is something we consider in the offseason, i.e. kessel. But I don't think offense is going to be a problem if we get our PP to be average. The defense is terrible right now and a vet d-man is a more reasonable in season acquisition.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
i would be in favor of calling of petro. guy was an allstar in the ahl. he is better than olsen... but hes another righty...

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
i would be in favor of calling of petro. guy was an allstar in the ahl. he is better than olsen... but hes another righty...

Could pair Petro with Kulikov and then put Mitchell with Gudbranson.

However, if we are still in the hunt in the next couple of weeks, I rather go after a vet defenseman

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
As bad as last night felt, I feel like this team is now trending up.

I believe the team has a harder time to play offense than defense. Last night they saw they could play offense, just gotta tighten up defensively and no sloppy giveaways. The performance overall was an uptick from the last 4.

Everyone goes through schneids. It's up for the team to decide whether it kills them or they bounce back from it.

This was the BAD 5 game chunk. No need to say it's over. 15 games to get 22 puts them right back on pace.

They can do this. A 7 or 8 point set is just what the doctor ordered.

For the next 15 games, if the team goes 2 wins every 3 games, all will be well. And looking at the next 15, it's doable. Very doable actually. some of the heavy weights coming are either hurting (Nashville) or the team plays at home (Kings, Ducks, Blackhawks, Blues).

Last edited:

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015

This. I think the only thing missing in Gudbranson's development is a veteran defenseman. Olsen hasn't been terrible but if I had to pick between him and a veteran D-man, I'd pick the veteran D-man in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad