GDT: 1/27/15 "Rev It Up" - Red Wings VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I disagree. They are surrounded by mediocre vets.

It's not all about on ice production... it's about preperation, diet, work ethic and how to be prepared and focused day in and day out... on ice production is a small piece to the puzzle... these vets r doing a great job and these kids r playing meaningful close games... that's how they will develop properly... the production will go up as they mature more and learn what works and doesn't work and how to bring it more consistently... barkov looked completely different this game... actually drove wide a couple times with speed and took the puck to the net more... it was really impressive and he is 19 and just scratching the surface

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It's not all about on ice production... it's about preperation, diet, work ethic and how to be prepared and focused day in and day out... on ice production is a small piece to the puzzle... these vets r doing a great job and these kids r playing meaningful close games... that's how they will develop properly... the production will go up as they mature more and learn what works and doesn't work and how to bring it more consistently... barkov looked completely different this game... actually drove wide a couple times with speed and took the puck to the net more... it was really impressive and he is 19 and just scratching the surface
It was drool worthy, thinking about the future while watching him make those moves. Looked very hard to stop.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
2nd period aside. I like what I saw tonight.

Bjugstad and Barkov playing with confidence and scoring.
Pirri looking like his preconcussion self.

Ekblad gaining some assists. *Calder

Liked the lineup tonight. Should stay that way For the top 9.
thought the Bjugstad line played better as a group when Pirri replaced Jokinen.
Barkov looked like a stud tonight. God I hope this is the Barkov well see more times than not here on out.

Defensively this team has fallen off the rails. Ekblad is showing some kinks I his armor defensively. Olsen is the #1 reason why we lost tonight.
The Mitchell Kulikov pairing still seems like a good pairing Defensively.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
To add insult to injury the entrance to go north on the sawgrass expressway was closed off for construction tonight the traffic was an hour long

Our defense is still not good enough. I think our problems start in natural zone. Our forwards are not working hard enough to disrupt passing lanes and our defensemen are not physical/discombobulated almost all the time.

Even in the third period Detroit had some great opportunities to score.

It seems like our possession time 5 on 5 has fallen off a cliff. I feel like we never have the puck.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
upsetting to lose this one, i feel like we played better but we just coughed up one too many. we can't make mistakes like that. olsen was responsible for pretty much 2 of them alone.

barkov had a fantastic game. nice goal, beautiful assist to boyes when we needed that goal, and another assist on the bjugstad goal. and in general he looked good out there, the way he handled the puck and just looked overall, hard to describe but he looked good tonight. on top of his game you can say. if he played like that everyday and bjugstad plays the way we know he can wed be in good shape.

not the time of year to lose 5 straight, just 1 point in that span i believe. its a shame they didnt pull through this one, if it wasnt for the brain farts they would've.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
He had 10 saves.

Missed the game, but least our young guys scored!

Only got to watch the 3rd here but when I clicked on my NHL app I had to do a double take to make sure I had the right boxscore. All the PPG's threw me off.

Did Lou have an off night or did we forget how to play defence again?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I hope Montoya isn't rewarded with a start.

Only got to watch the 3rd here but when I clicked on my NHL app I had to do a double take to make sure I had the right boxscore. All the PPG's threw me off.

Did Lou have an off night or did we forget how to play defence again?

The latter. Olsen was brutal. Powerplay was ridiculous, best it's looked in 2 years.

Did anyone watching on tv hear Olsen yell "oh ****" when he turned it over? :laugh:

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Yeah, this is how I feel too.

Very Good: The PP. We looked like an actual NHL team on the PP, and with all of our young guys leading the way. Good adjustment by the coaching staff.

Good: Barkov/Bjugstad. This is exactly how our team is going to be good if it ever gets there, with our centers leading the way.

Bad: Defense. This is very troubling. Our centers our going to have to be our identity individually, our defense is going to have to be our team identity if we are going to become a contender. The defense has regressed to the way it looked before this season. One good thing though, at the end we seemed to play much better in that area.

Really bad: We lost the game. We cannot afford to lose multiple games in a row, but we have.

I can't really think of a much better assessment than this. It's a shame that 12 out of 60 minutes determined the game as I think we were overall the better team. Our defense looked god awful and it ruined the result. I felt bad for Luongo as I didn't think he deserved much of the blame. That Olsen turnover really did a negative on the team. It was obvious.

I know we still have 37 more games to go, but it's going to be a huge climb back up into the standings to even think about playoffs at this point and with February's schedule. The next two games are absolutely must wins.

The result sucks as we earn no points, but I loved the play of Barkov and Bjugstad tonight. It's awesome to see especially from Barkov as so many of us fans were skeptical of his future. He'll be fine and get better over time. Oh yeah. And that four forwards system on the power play. Gallant probably should have listened to us months ago, but it worked damn good tonight.

We're likely not going to make the playoffs, and while a 9th or 10th place finish in the East is disappointing, it's still a big improvement over the last two seasons. A lot of what I've seen this season gets me damn excited about our future. Unfortunately, while things are going up, I don't think they're going up right away.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
The latter. Olsen was brutal. Powerplay was ridiculous, best it's looked in 2 years.

Did anyone watching on tv hear Olsen yell "oh ****" when he turned it over? :laugh:

I'll actually take a bad night on D for that news. A real PP would be a huge help.

I'll have to watch for Olsen :laugh: I like him a lot as potential 5-6 guy but these bad nights are just killing him.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I can't really think of a much better assessment than this. It's a shame that 12 out of 60 minutes determined the game as I think we were overall the better team. Our defense looked god awful and it ruined the result. I felt bad for Luongo as I didn't think he deserved much of the blame. That Olsen turnover really did a negative on the team. It was obvious.

I know we still have 37 more games to go, but it's going to be a huge climb back up into the standings to even think about playoffs at this point and with February's schedule. The next two games are absolutely must wins.

The result sucks as we earn no points, but I loved the play of Barkov and Bjugstad tonight. It's awesome to see especially from Barkov as so many of us fans were skeptical of his future. He'll be fine and get better over time. Oh yeah. And that four forwards system on the power play. Gallant probably should have listened to us months ago, but it worked damn good tonight.

We're likely not going to make the playoffs, and while a 9th or 10th place finish in the East is disappointing, it's still a big improvement over the last two seasons. A lot of what I've seen this season gets me damn excited about our future. Unfortunately, while things are going up, I don't think they're going up right away.

This has been my view basically all season and I think that's why I don't get as bummed as some when they lose. Next year this will be a really dangerous team, especially with Pirri and Trocheck as full-time players (hopefully).

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Simple, their 3rd and 4th lines outplayed ours, and their team was a step faster and had some puck luck. Nice to have the luxury of guys that can actually score consistently on those lines. Also, Luongo was outplayed tonight by a third stringer. He has to be better for us to compete.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Dylan Olsen is so bad. Don't understand people that keep defending him.

Just because he's our 6th defensman doesn't make him any less terrible. Yes he doesn't play alot, but that didn't stop him from losing the game for us with the stupid turnover on the third goal and getting walked on the fourth.

Considering he has no considerable upside, he really is beyond useless.

I can't imagine Petrovic could be any worse than he is. That being said, O'Brien is probably next on the call-up list, and he too is hilariously bad.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Olsen costs nothing, whether he's in the lineup or scratched, the problem is getting Guds to actually play decent with anyone else.

If Gudbranson can't play good hockey without a terrible defensman as his partner, he's going to be a hinderance.

His play has improved this year, and I doubt it's because he's paired with Olsen.

If it is, he better learn to succeed without Olsen, because he (Olsen) clearly doesn't have much of a future in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad