GDT: 1/25/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Ottawa VS Tampa Bay

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Yeah, but why even consider trading Purcell at all? There is nothing wrong with having top 6 talent in the bottom 6, and we don't have any glaring holes to fill.

I believe it was simply to stimulate conversation as not much happens on off days. The only glaring hole we have right now is the lack of a third line center who has some size, grit and can win face-offs. Said center should also have good speed and enough talent to put up 25-35 points in a regular 82 game season and a steady, reliable presence during a playoff run. Other than that, I think we're set.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I don't think so. Killorn is real good in that regard for sure, but Purcell is a notch above him IMO. (at least at this point anyways).

Let's assume we have a bunch of guys ready to make the jump next year, is having the following lines a bad thing?

Connolly // Stamkos // St. Louis
Conacher // Lecavalier // Purcell
Pouliot // Killorn // Malone
Pyatt // Thompson // Crombeen
Hall

Hedman // Salo
Carle // Brewer
Aulie // Gudas (for the love of god, yes plz to this pairing) :laugh:
Barberio

Panik will be too good for the A next year IMO

kisin

Sep 22, 2009
Czech republic
I don't think so. Killorn is real good in that regard for sure, but Purcell is a notch above him IMO. (at least at this point anyways).

Let's assume we have a bunch of guys ready to make the jump next year, is having the following lines a bad thing?

Hall

Hedman // Salo
Carle // Brewer
Barberio

I'd rather see JT Brown instead of Pouliot but otherwise it's ''perfect''.

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
Panik will be too good for the A next year IMO

But will he be good enough to make the Lightning? Right now he isn't better than Malone or Purcell, so trading one of those two just to make room for him doesn't make much sense.

Mart/Malone/Vinny/Salo/Brewer are all getting older. There will be roster spots for the kids eventually, but not until they can outplay the guys who are already on the team.

Of course if we run into cap trouble, replacing some of the higher paid guys with kids on ELCs might be something we have to do, but we aren't having that problem currently.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we could get a young top 4 RHD for Purcell+ then I can't see us not trading him. Salo is only around for 2 years and Brewer is 33, we need a couple of young top 4 guys. Aulie looks like he can replace Brewer, Barberio needs to show what he's got in the NHL, but both are LH along with Hedman and Carle we need some RH's. Panik and Purcell seem like they are identical in their size and how both can take over a game or disappear, we can't keep Panik in the A too much longer as it will only stagnate him. Same goes for Connolly as he will need to make the jump back up hopefully next year, thats two guys who are top 6 players without a spot. I see Killorn taking the 3C spot, and Hall the odd man out. I also don't know what Brown has done yet to deserve a spot next season. I guess what im getting at is we have a abundance of talented fowards and not enough spots, so getting another top D like Hedman if we can would be ideal.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Hall

Hedman // Salo
Carle // Brewer
Barberio

Oh.. My... God... Can you you imagine the trade forums explode having Malone on the 3rd line. Dear god, the trade offers. The comparing to Gomez will be huge. Prepare friends, if this happens, winter is coming.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Panik would be the guy that would be Malone like, Killorn is not as physical as Panik. Killorn I see more as a third line guy.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I think Purcell's production could be replaced after this season by Connolly, and I'd like to see a center prospect like Mark McNeill coming our way in exchange. We need some more size and grit for our third line and someone who can win face-offs, as it's been a weakness for us the past two seasons.

I find that a little too optimistic at this point. If he could be a 15-15-30 guy next year it would be a good step for him. He is barely that in the AHL right now.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
If Hedman is an enforcer the Bolts are in trouble
:laugh:
Purcell: What about trading him and Lee for Subban? Maybe add prospect or a pick somewhere. Well I know it's not gonna happen, but I would do this trade. Just think about a top-4 like Hedman-Salo and Carle-Subban with Brewer coming up for injurys :yo:

If we don't make the playoffs, either Malone or Purcell will be gone. Thwy are owrth to much on TD to pass over a trade. And I can really see Killorn becoming Malone 2.0 well and replacing Teddy shouldn't be that much of a problem with those guys in Syracuse.

I'm starting to wonder who of the SYR guys might be the poor guy, who will not get a chance, because IF they all develop as fast as now we can't bring them all up in the next 2 years. I simply can't see all the Connollys Paniks Browns and.... on the 3rd line, eventough I would love to play 9 top-6 guys, would even be unreal firepower by our standarts :handclap:
As much as i'd love him, he still needs to get paid and we don't exactly have a glut of cap space for it. I also don't really see Purcell or Malone going anywhere. You don't just toss proven scorers for kids in the minors because they *might* have a higher ceiling.
We don't have one capable of logging serious minutes. Pyatt is awful on the draw, while Thompson and Hall are both fourth liners.
Pyatt isn't that bad on the draws, but having someone consistently above the 60 or 65% mark would be nice.
Can we stop referring to Killorn as a Ryan Malone replacement? He isn't.

I'm really not understanding people wanting to trade Malone or Purcell right now...
Same. Killorns skillset is pretty drastically different from Malones.
If we could get a young top 4 RHD for Purcell+ then I can't see us not trading him. Salo is only around for 2 years and Brewer is 33, we need a couple of young top 4 guys. Aulie looks like he can replace Brewer, Barberio needs to show what he's got in the NHL, but both are LH along with Hedman and Carle we need some RH's. Panik and Purcell seem like they are identical in their size and how both can take over a game or disappear, we can't keep Panik in the A too much longer as it will only stagnate him. Same goes for Connolly as he will need to make the jump back up hopefully next year, thats two guys who are top 6 players without a spot. I see Killorn taking the 3C spot, and Hall the odd man out. I also don't know what Brown has done yet to deserve a spot next season. I guess what im getting at is we have a abundance of talented fowards and not enough spots, so getting another top D like Hedman if we can would be ideal.
I will be pretty surprised if Connolly makes the jump back to the NHL next season. His game is nowhere near rounded enough. Panik could get an extended look, along with Killorn - Killorn is about ready to go, physically and mentally.
Panik would be the guy that would be Malone like, Killorn is not as physical as Panik. Killorn I see more as a third line guy.
Ehh... maybe. I don't think anyone we have really looks like Malone and Killorn should be second line or bust, unless they want to roll three scoring lines.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I find that a little too optimistic at this point. If he could be a 15-15-30 guy next year it would be a good step for him. He is barely that in the AHL right now.

Connolly's barely in the AHL right now? I haven't been keeping up with the Crunch and minutes played, but his stats would certainly lead you to believe he's been performing well for them. 34 points in 40 games, 15 of those being goals.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Pyatt isn't that bad on the draws, but having someone consistently above the 60 or 65% mark would be nice.

Pyatt was 45% on the draw last year and is currently 29% on the draw this year (granted a smaller sample size). Ideally, we want centers winning over 50% of their draws and Pyatt's faceoff ability is certainly not up to par for a third line role player. He'd be better off on the wing, as his work rate and puck hound skills are invaluable.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Hes barely a 15-15-30 guy right now, I don't get what is so difficult to understand here... hes best served playing another year after this one with Syracuse, rather than trying to squeeze him into the lineup here.

How is he barely a 15-15-30 guy in the AHL? He already has 34 points in 40 games, almost a PPG pace...that's not even over a full season. He'll be with the big boys next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad