Post-Game Talk: 1/23/18 | Kings 2 AT Vancity 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Alright home from the game, pleasantly surprised that was a lot more fun than I anticipated

Drinking and socializing dipped into the scouting report but quick thoughts

LA looked horrible, can see why they’ve been slumping, kept trying the same play in the offensive zone and their D got caught not hinging a few times. Quick looked rattled after getting the hook and I loved it.

Horvat is back, that toe drag

Boeser is a gem, the lack of response to the Lewis hit was gross, so was the 2 mins, Boeser should have done the Kovalchuk point to the box after scoring.

Vanek loves that half clapper and so do I.

Could tell Tanev isn’t a fan of the cage but he had a very strong game tonight

Really the only D I’d have beef with tonight was Del Zotto, guys a meathead

Not a Dowd fan but can see why Green likes him

Virtanen is a disappointment
Eriksson looked in rare form in the first period, it dissipated but was fun to see.

Lot of fun tonight, now don’t go on a run and give the owners any funny extension ideas

Last edited:
Reactions: dim jim

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Very small sample size obviously, but the Canucks have looked good since Horvat has returned.

A beat down on LA.
A closely hard fought loss to the Jets where we contained them to just one goal.

While I do not condone the absolute free fall that the Canucks has while BoHo was away, this does appear to be a completely different team when Horvat is in the line-up, AND when we have little to no injury down the middle or on defense.

With Pettersson and Juolevi possibly joining us next year, I think there’s a chance that this team is less susceptible to injuries. If that’s the case, then I do expect the Canucks to compete for the 8th seed next season, even if we don’t quite make it (so - maybe a 9th place finish).

Bring back the twins for another season to ensure appropriate depth.

Looked good since Horvat returned?? They got shutout in 1/2 of the games since then.

Reactions: dim jim

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
As someone who was pretty low on Horvat during his rookie year and thought he probably only amounts to a Brandon Sutter type 3C, I'm so glad I was wrong about this guy and his ability to improve. His offensive game, skating and faceoff ability have all been vastly improved in the last 2 years albeit I feel as though he does a bit less defensively as a byproduct maybe of trying to get better in other areas.

If he can balance an elite defensive game, solid offensive synergy with future linemates and faceoff prowess in a couple years he'll be a slam f***ing dunk of a 9OA pick. Thank you Gillis.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Looked good since Horvat returned?? They got shutout in 1/2 of the games since then.

They contained Winnipeg to just one goal and put a beat down on LA. Small sample size, but the team has looked better since Horvat returned.

But yes - I agree. Being shut out in half the games since he’s returned?!?! Oh the humanity!

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
They contained Winnipeg to just one goal and put a beat down on LA. Small sample size, but the team has looked better since Horvat returned.

But yes - I agree. Being shut out in half the games since he’s returned?!?! Oh the humanity!

:laugh:
You essentially disregarded the first game and used a sample size of 1. It's not even like the WPG game was close either.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
:laugh:
You essentially disregarded the first game and used a sample size of 1. It's not even like the WPG game was close either.

But they’re averaging 3 goals a game since BoHo returned!!!!! :hyper:

On a more serious note, the Winnipeg game wasn’t close, but that would have been the type of game where the Nucks would have lost by 3 or 4 had Bo not been there.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
LA played horribly AND it's a lot easier to play with a 3 goal cushion, but this team looks entirely different with Horvat in the line up. He absolutely drives the pace and turns the momentum with every shift. He also makes his line mates - whomever they are - look better. I have to admit, I though Bo would top out as a good 2-way Centre with leadership qualities who lacked high end offensive skills. He's all that, but is also increasingly the offensive engine of the team.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Watching clips of the game back, and the mics in the crowd in Vancouver are terrible. You can't hear them at all on TV, but this was one of the more lively and fun games I've been to. Crowd was having a lot of fun especially in the first two periods (third was a little more quiet)

Super fun game to go to, glad I chose that one

Reactions: Bougieman

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Watching clips of the game back, and the mics in the crowd in Vancouver are terrible. You can't hear them at all on TV, but this was one of the more lively and fun games I've been to. Crowd was having a lot of fun especially in the first two periods (third was a little more quiet)

Super fun game to go to, glad I chose that one

Same here. I went to a game in December and was surprised how lively and vocal the crowd was. But when watching the game that I recorded, you barely heard the crowd except for when a goal was scored.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
So glad to have Bo back!

While he might not be a "franchise player", when he's out, the butterfly effect of guys playing roles they just aren't suited to or good enough for (eventually ending with Chaput playing at all)... makes for a total garbage team.

Hopefully we have more depth next year, but I think it might take a year or two more than that. If we're lucky.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks better be ready for the Sabres...Obviously,Calgary and Edmonton took them far too lightly,and came out on the short end.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
People overestimate the amount a single player moves the needle. This team is not good, it could be good if you get incredibly lucky (no injuries) and the deployment of players were better. But that can be said for every single team.

Sutter is not a impactful enough of player to single handily move the needle. If you truly believe that then I'd call you naive.

i think i have underestimated the impact of horvat and sutter and baertschi until this stretch. i was stunned by the impact on the team when they went down and i am equally stunned by the difference they have each made since coming back.

horvat is obviously front and centre as the biggest impact in both directions. however, i have never appreciated sutter as much as i have since he returned, and i am really impressed with baertschi too. those are two players i considered bit parts in the fall. they now seem like key pieces.

i would agree this team is paper thin on depth to be so susceptible to injuries, but it's a start that they can at least compete when healthy.

Reactions: Nomobo and Numba9

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Horvat & Boeser.....those two worth the price of admission. It's a shame if we waste their prime years on a meh team.
That's the main concern for fans.

I don't think I can put in permanent ink who on the current roster should be here for the 2020-2021 season aside from those two.

No matter how high we can be on the other prospects, does this team have the depth behind those two guys?

That's why the blown assets of the 2nd for vey, forsling, 2nd in the gudbranson deal, no assets for hamhuis, taking scisba instead of a future in the kesler deal are going to hurt later on.

Ex

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
But they’re averaging 3 goals a game since BoHo returned!!!!! :hyper:

On a more serious note, the Winnipeg game wasn’t close, but that would have been the type of game where the Nucks would have lost by 3 or 4 had Bo not been there.

erm, Nillson perhaps had just a bit to do with that doncha think? .972 save % in the second game of back to back road games after a long layoff and I swear nobody mentioned him at all after that game. You can bet he was cursing last night when we scored 3 goals in the first...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Just saw replay of the cross check by Lewis on Boeser.

Should be a suspendable offense. But knowing the league they probably just gonna tell Lewis to cut it out and that's that.

...or, more likely, somebody somewhere is pointing out to Boeser that if you go down like you are seriously injured and then, once the penalty is called, spring up miraculously healed and line up for the subsequent power play a la Alex Burrows then you will find that the refs will basically ignore any further fouls against you...

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
No cable at the new place where I've been living so I haven't been able to watch games but it's been fun following the good stories this season, albeit whilst being 4th last in the standings currently. But that's the trick isn't it? Watch your youth succeed and get better while the team heads for another high draft pick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad