M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Quite postgame what a victory and all people wanna do is gamble :shakehead

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I see your big... and raise you a massive.

(this is getting immoral)
jesse-james-hand-tattoo-pay-up-3-2011-starts-el-jefe-entertainment-3-jpg.jpg

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Give Canucks credit but LA looked bad. Obviously the return of Horvat and Sutter was going to help and just as obviously it is. You have to wonder if the team would have been in the playoff mix if these guys had been around.

Good

Tanev - might have been the best player. Has a huge coverage area and continual forced the play in his own end and got the Canucks back on offense.

Edler - played all the heavy minutes and worked the puck much better the PP. PP continues to look good and Edler is playing his role better.

Eriksson - in spite of the much deserved flack Eriksson has received, he has been better of late. Skating better and getting to pucks. Still not producing much on his own but at least getting to the net for rebounds and screens. Also good on PK

Boeser - loved how he got angry with the check in the back and then went out and just hammered the puck into the goal. Maybe the best episode for the team all year.

Horvat - another good two way effort. Really rounding into form. Very good play on the second Eriksson goal

Vanek - one thing you start to realize about Vanek is that he is very strong on his stick. Gets lot of turnovers just by getting his stick on opponents stick. Did that in the early going to create chances. He was critical to the Canucks getting off to a good start

Bad

Gagner - back in a role he is simply not right for. He is not a heavy forchecker or strong back checker. He is guy who can duck into holes and scramble after loose pucks around the goal. Just got bounced around in this one and could never seem to make a play. No big Gaunce fan but I rather see him in a fourth line role than Gagner. At least Gaunce can forecheck decently and provide a little size (not that he uses it much). When the line up is complete then Gagner really doesn't have role.

Other Points

Having Pouliot out and Biega in makes a huge difference.

Pretty much a full lineup . Maybe Gudbranson might be in before Biega of Hutton but that debateable

Feared that with a full lineup the Canucks could not tank adequately and that may well be the case.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
So when i started watching in the 2nd Eriksson was invisible. Did he actually have a good 1st cause he looked like the SAME OLD Eriksson from what i saw

If Eriksson puts up 3 points in the first 6 minutes I have no issue with him being "invisible" for the remainder of the game. Strange time to be critical of Loui.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Horvat on the ice for 4 of the canucks 6 goals, according to CanucksArmy.

I guess he's a pretty important player for the Canucks.

10 shot attempts for Boeser, 6 shots.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Just saw replay of the cross check by Lewis on Boeser.

Should be a suspendable offense. But knowing the league they probably just gonna tell Lewis to cut it out and that's that.

Reactions: Tryampled

Duckhugs

Apr 11, 2016
Man this game made me want an Eriksson jersey... At first it was for the joke but now.. i think i honestly want one

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Horvat just stabilizes the team. Give him the C next year...?

One thing I noticed is how much more stable the powerplay is with Horvat instead of Granlund.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Just saw replay of the cross check by Lewis on Boeser.

Should be a suspendable offense. But knowing the league they probably just gonna tell Lewis to cut it out and that's that.

please show me the replay...im pissed off hearing about this.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Best game I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing live. I hate Quick, Brown, Doughty, Lewis, and basically all the other clowns they dress except for Kopitar. So it was an exquisite pleasure watching them all melt down. So many memorable moments, I'll never forget watching it --

I have to ask, did they show on TV when Quick was being pulled after the 5th goal? In case anyone missed it: He skates to the bench, Kuemper comes over the boards, Quick decides he's not being pulled and skates back to the crease, Kuemper starts skating towards him but Quick literally just points at him to go back :laugh: coach is just like "jesus you gotta be joking me" and tells Quick he's done, Quick finally relents, Kuemper taps him on his way out but Quick doesn't even acknowledge it :laugh: ahh so petulant and so entitled, it was so delicious to watch unfold.

Doughty had the worst game I think I've ever seen him play, just couldn't do anything, and just kept getting wrecked on D, and boy he complained about AB SO LUTE LY EVERYTHING. He got completely laundered by Horvat on the 2-0 goal and just couldn't hold his composure after that! It was beautiful.

I also wanted to ask what happened to Boeser after Lewis got sent to the box for boarding? The refs sent him off the ice, which I assumed was for concussion protocol, but literally as soon as the puck dropped, Boeser came over the boards and hammered the biggest f***-you slapshot I've seen in years. My god, that felt so good. The shot was so clean, too. No celly either. What a beast.

The Kings were down two goals before they even had a shot on net, and they never once looked interested in playing. I don't know what's going on with that team, but they're on the fast-track to bubblesville if they keep this gongshow going. Nothing I'd love to see more than that -- a Kings team thinking they're good enough only to miss the playoffs again by inches? Sign me up!

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
please show me the replay...im pissed off hearing about this.
I don't know where to find a replay of the penalty, but basically Boeser turns his back to protect the puck, Lewis has ample time to do literally anything but shove Boeser in the numbers, but shoves him anyways. Boeser ate some boards but he came out on the ensuing PP and blasted home a goal. Hopefully when the adrenaline wears off he won't be worse for wear....it didn't look good when it occurred, so it was good to see him on his own feet and seemingly unaffected.

edit: found the hit

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I also wanted to ask what happened to Boeser after Lewis got sent to the box for boarding? The refs sent him off the ice, which I assumed was for concussion protocol, but literally as soon as the puck dropped, Boeser came over the boards and hammered the biggest ****-you slapshot I've seen in years. My god, that felt so good. The shot was so clean, too. No celly either. What a beast.

Nope they blew the play dead because of concern of injury. A player can't stay on the ice when they stop the play because of a injury concern.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Best game I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing live. I hate Quick, Brown, Doughty, Lewis, and basically all the other clowns they dress except for Kopitar. So it was an exquisite pleasure watching them all melt down. So many memorable moments, I'll never forget watching it --

I have to ask, did they show on TV when Quick was being pulled after the 5th goal? In case anyone missed it: He skates to the bench, Kuemper comes over the boards, Quick decides he's not being pulled and skates back to the crease, Kuemper starts skating towards him but Quick literally just points at him to go back :laugh: coach is just like "jesus you gotta be joking me" and tells Quick he's done, Quick finally relents, Kuemper taps him on his way out but Quick doesn't even acknowledge it :laugh: ahh so petulant and so entitled, it was so delicious to watch unfold.

Doughty had the worst game I think I've ever seen him play, just couldn't do anything, and just kept getting wrecked on D, and boy he complained about AB SO LUTE LY EVERYTHING. He got completely laundered by Horvat on the 2-0 goal and just couldn't hold his composure after that! It was beautiful.

I also wanted to ask what happened to Boeser after Lewis got sent to the box for boarding? The refs sent him off the ice, which I assumed was for concussion protocol, but literally as soon as the puck dropped, Boeser came over the boards and hammered the biggest ****-you slapshot I've seen in years. My god, that felt so good. The shot was so clean, too. No celly either. What a beast.

The Kings were down two goals before they even had a shot on net, and they never once looked interested in playing. I don't know what's going on with that team, but they're on the fast-track to bubblesville if they keep this gongshow going. Nothing I'd love to see more than that -- a Kings team thinking they're good enough only to miss the playoffs again by inches? Sign me up!

Great post...Enjoyed the hell outta your Quick story... beautiful. I’m envious! Heh

To answer the Boeser question... I heard on the radio that if they blow the whistle for a player injury, that that player must leave the ice for the next faceoff.

A very NFL-like rule I had never heard of before in the NHL.
It’s a rule to curtail embellishment.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
I don't know where to find a replay of the penalty, but basically Boeser turns his back to protect the puck, Lewis has ample time to do literally anything but shove Boeser in the numbers, but shoves him anyways. Boeser ate some boards but he came out on the ensuing PP and blasted home a goal. Hopefully when the adrenaline wears off he won't be worse for wear....it didn't look good when it occurred, so it was good to see him on his own feet and seemingly unaffected.

edit: found the hit

man that pissed me off...yea i guess it was right nobody jumped lewis...yea no, send a message dont f*** with our star players...must be clear. if u pull something like that u best believe one of the canucks is gonna go after u hard. if no message is sent, teams are going to take liberties to take advantage of their weakness.

oh wait we dont have anyone like that except gudbranson, too bad he is such a horrible puck mover and and is terrible digging the pucks out of the blue line.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Horvat on the ice for 4 of the canucks 6 goals, according to CanucksArmy.

I guess he's a pretty important player for the Canucks.

10 shot attempts for Boeser, 6 shots.

It makes you wonder though doesn’t it?

1) If Horvat and Sutter had been healthy, where would this team be in the standings?

2) If the Canucks can get some help next year either in the form of their prospects stepping up, and/or some astute UFA signings which would help them be less susceptible to injury (I presume), where would this team be in the standings?

I still contend that we’d be around 8th-9th.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
It makes you wonder though doesn’t it?

1) If Horvat and Sutter had been healthy, where would this team be in the standings?

2) If the Canucks can get some help next year either in the form of their prospects stepping up, and/or some astute UFA signings which would help them be less susceptible to injury (I presume), where would this team be in the standings?

I still contend that we’d be around 8th-9th.

Look at the Oilers.

This team needs a whole lot more then a ~60 point center and a bottom 6 center to be competitive.

People overestimate the amount a single player moves the needle. This team is not good, it could be good if you get incredibly lucky (no injuries) and the deployment of players were better. But that can be said for every single team.

Oilers added 48 point McDavid and 50 point Draisaitl in 2015-16, still managed to finish in the bottom 3. Sure McDavid was injured for almost half the season but it doesn't matter he still produced 48 points and that wasn't enough for the Oilers to get out of the dumpster.

Sutter is not a impactful enough of player to single handily move the needle. If you truly believe that then I'd call you naive.

I remember when I used to listen to the Oilers post game and a few of them were talking about the impact of the 1st overalls on their season. Really eye opening for me, this was back before they got McDavid. They basically said that 1/2 players do not turn the team from a 70 point team into a 90 point team unless they are Crosby level players. To expect a rookie to come in and turn this team around in a season is absolutely unrealistic. That the problem with bad teams is either depth or not having star players, the Oilers had star power they just didn't have depth. I find that whole phenomenon what they talked about fascinating because it directly relates to the canucks. Where every season we blame "injuries", like it somehow isn't the GMs job to provide depth. Or we say that because a key player was out that THAT made the difference between being a 70 point team and a 90 point team.

The reality is that this team lacks both star power, and depth. That is even including Boeser. We added a freaken potential 35-40 goal scorer to our team this year and we are still projected to finish in the bottom 3. This team is a absolute disaster, and not close at all to the playoffs. Unless we get a Dahlin we will continue to be bad. Because we do not have the depth, because of bad drafts, and we do not have the star power, because of bad drafts.

Also, building depth through free agency is a terrible idea. FA is where you go to get decent players on bad contracts. Depth is acquired through the draft.

Last edited:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Horvat is really turning into a monster 1B/2A centre for us.

Feel like he should have got an assist on the first goal and have 3 assists on the night.

And Boeser what can you say, shooters gonna shoot

Reactions: 2011 still hurts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad