GDT: 1/2/24 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Winnipeg

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Seriously...who thinks we are just 1 or 2 players away from contending?

LOLOLOL

Seriously? That's funny stuff.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Hard to imagine trading Cirelli without retaining 2 mil for any type return. Straight up no team out there is going to pay his salary and term for a 3C.

Reactions: Powerplay17

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Stop with that. You’re not really looking for an answer. Cirelli is making too much money. The trade would be for cap space as much as anything.
What cap space? They would need to use his 6.25 to actually try and benefit the team. Maybe they get an RD rental or an rfa that makes a little less, but now the offense is much worse off. It's doubtful Tampa is giving up on the season, so any hypothetical Cirelli trade would be for 1 or 2 players that could help now and that cap space is gone.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The poster that said getting vasy back would change nothing was 100% spot on.

Reactions: Tampa22

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Hard to imagine trading Cirelli without retaining 2 mil for any type return. Straight up no team out there is going to pay his salary and term for a 3C.
Lol, retaining 2 million for 8 years, riiiighttt....

Cirelli isn't part of the core. He's that 2nd tier with Cernak and Serg who have played their roles and after winning 2 cups cashed in (like all cup winning players do) on being overpaid for previous success.

Core is and has always been Vasy, Kuch, Point, Heddy, Stamkos. Everyone else is expendable, period.
All three of them certainly are viewed as part of not only the current, but future core.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Stop with that. You’re not really looking for an answer. Cirelli is making too much money. The trade would be for cap space as much as anything.
Yes, I am looking for an answer. So I'll ask again, what do you plan to get for him if you trade him? Picks? Player?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
What cap space? They would need to use his 6.25 to actually try and benefit the team. Maybe they get an RD rental or an rfa that makes a little less, but now the offense is much worse off. It's doubtful Tampa is giving up on the season, so any hypothetical Cirelli trade would be for 1 or 2 players that could help now and that cap space is gone.

Dealing Cirelli, if it happens at all, would happen in the offseason. The cap space provided would go towards a top 4 defenseman or top 6 forward.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Here’s one that explains a little. By Monday every team in the metro except the Jackets will probably have more points than the Bolts.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
They could jettison more draft picks and prospects to get depth(with retention of course) to help this season. If they are willing to change the defensive scheme, and add at least 1 depth dman and 1 middle 6 F, a playoff spot is not out of the question. There are plenty of options out there, and JBB obv has no problem trading picks and/or prospects. In any case, they aren't selling as they aren't a team in a rebuild.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Dealing Cirelli, if it happens at all, would happen in the offseason. The cap space provided would go towards a top 4 defenseman or top 6 forward.
Don't see it for futures unless another trade is on lock or they already have 2 adds ready to sign. They need a top 4 RD, and if Cirelli is now gone, a top 6 F. Not saying it's impossible, but seems doubtful. Not to mention, trading a player after one year of an 8 year deal doesn't exactly make prospective ufa's think Tampa is a spot they'll get to play in for even a decent portion of their new deal.

We need another top 6 forward and two nhl defenseman at least .

The bottom 6 forwards just aren’t cutting it also
Lyubushkin from Anaheim, one of Dickinson/Duclair/Barabanov etc could be acquired. Matt Benning maybe on defense. There are quite a few options out there that could be explored.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
That's different than saying he wouldn't do it simply because it was year 1, the precedent has already been set that he would.

I'm aware that there were extenuating circumstances at that time, there are plenty of extenuating circumstances right now too though.
Not that really get solved by moving Cirelli. If Tampa had better offensive depth than maybe you move him in a trade similar to Drouin for Serg, but with the depth being what it is, losing Cirelli seems like a move that isn't going to improve the team now.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Don't see it for futures unless another trade is on lock or they already have 2 adds ready to sign. They need a top 4 RD, and if Cirelli is now gone, a top 6 F. Not saying it's impossible, but seems doubtful. Not to mention, trading a player after one year of an 8 year deal doesn't exactly make prospective ufa's think Tampa is a spot they'll get to play in for even a decent portion of their new deal.

I'm not beating the drums that we have to trade Cirelli, I'm highlighting him as the most likely choice to create cap space. You mention it's because of his 8 year extension that it wouldn't happen, but every player on this team making any significant $$ is locked into an extremely long contract. If moves are going to be made, something has to give.

Not that really get solved by moving Cirelli. If Tampa had better offensive depth than maybe you move him in a trade similar to Drouin for Serg, but with the depth being what it is, losing Cirelli seems like a move that isn't going to improve the team now.

There is no improving this team now that involves trading Cirelli. Trading any of our guys midseason is analogous to giving up

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'm not beating the drums that we have to trade Cirelli, I'm highlighting him as the most likely choice to create cap space. You mention it's because of his 8 year extension that it wouldn't happen, but every player on this team making any significant $$ is locked into an extremely long contract. If moves are going to be made, something has to give.

There is no improving this team now that involves trading Cirelli. Trading any of our guys midseason is analogous to giving up
I would consider moving Cirelli for a dman like Byram, if Tampa could also acquire 1-2 F that could contribute now. Even if Tampa trades him for futures in the offseason, and Stamkos signs for 6-6.5(and losing Cirelli makes re-signing Stamkos a must), Tampa would then have around 12.5 I believe for 6 or 7 players to reach 22/23 on the roster. If they get rid of Sheary(one cam only hope), then approx 14.5 for 7 or 8 players. 2-3 dmen, as they'd still have Hedman, Serg, Cernak, Perbix and Raddysh signed(barring any trades), and 8 F I believe, Kuch, Point, Stamkos, Paul, Jeannot, Ace, Glendening and Motte.
Edit: 9 F, as I omitted Hagel

Reactions: Rschmitz

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I don't think it's an effort thing. I think this is what we are, sadly
I sort of agree but the thing thats got me confused is that the entire team started playing like this all at once.

Which makes me think its more of a system thing than an effort thing. Or it could be both, but I don't see guys like Point putting in the same effort we're used to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad