GDT: 1/2/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Pittsburgh

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I don't think Callahan's that guy either though. Callahan's not really a playmaker. He's not the guy you want leading the rush. That, IMO, is what Stamkos needs (or at least the one thing he hasn't had all year), and he needs it specifically on the right side so he can try to lose himself in traffic once we gain the zone.

We don't have that player, except Kucherov, unless we try to convert a LW (Drouin) to RW.

I was saying Callahan for one simple reason. Who else do we have? I agree we can't move Kuch, but if it's Cally vs. Paq... lol

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Callahan's that guy either though. Callahan's not really a playmaker. He's not the guy you want leading the rush. That, IMO, is what Stamkos needs (or at least the one thing he hasn't had all year), and he needs it specifically on the right side so he can try to lose himself in traffic once we gain the zone.

We don't have that player, except Kucherov, unless we try to convert a LW (Drouin) to RW.

If he was not a two way shutdown forward he would still be there . Coop is trying to use him for both roles as much as he can and I get that . Top line he is more in a one way role.

Right now a line of Killorn - stamkos - Connolly will be sitting ducks If they get pinned In their zone.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was saying Callahan for one simple reason. Who else do we have? I agree we can't move Kuch, but if it's Cally vs. Paq... lol

As much as I want Callahan back with Stamkos and I think it will help the team he was not signed to play with Stamkos , he was always designated for the 2nd line to provide both offense and defense. But I think he is our best option if you are not breaking up TKO. Problem is you will lose his defense abilities skating against the opponents top lines. If coop wants to keep putting leftovers with Stamkos so be it. Now since Drouin is off that line.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he was not a two way shutdown forward he would still be there . Coop is trying to use him for both roles as much as he can and I get that . Top line he is more in a one way role.

Right now a line of Killorn - stamkos - Connolly will be sitting ducks If they get pinned In their zone.

You could say that about 90% of the lines Stamkos has ever played on. Stamkos has it in him to play good D, and Killorn is above average. I think this line is one of the best options we have at the moment.

I think getting Stamkos scoring was a big priority when we couldn't find chemistry anywhere else in the lineup. But now that we have two good lines, it's less of an issue. I'd rather have TKO + a good shutdown line than TKO + a marginal Stamkos line.

Our ES lines are pretty solid right now, even if we're leaving Stamkos hanging out to dry a bit. That's on him at this point. The place where we need a real shakeup is on the PP.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
You could say that about 90% of the lines Stamkos has ever played on. Stamkos has it in him to play good D, and Killorn is above average. I think this line is one of the best options we have at the moment.

I think getting Stamkos scoring was a big priority when we couldn't find chemistry anywhere else in the lineup. But now that we have two good lines, it's less of an issue. I'd rather have TKO + a good shutdown line than TKO + a marginal Stamkos line.

Our ES lines are pretty solid right now, even if we're leaving Stamkos hanging out to dry a bit. That's on him at this point. The place where we need a real shakeup is on the PP.

Well said. A goal with the man advantage at the right time last night would probably have been the momentum swing we needed.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't agree with all our ES lines but we can argue all day, lol. Lets just hope they work out.

I do agree about our PP having major issues, and think as long as Stamkos is not playing well, it will impact the PP, like the bad passes he has made. Problem is, not enough shots going towards the net. when you shoot on goal, good things will happen. Does coop say, ok going to give Stamkos less time on the PP? I think it's more of the coaching and execution of the PP than the personnel, imo. We have seen this PP be red hot, and now it's ice cold, with an exception of a couple of PP goals the last few games. I used to get excited when he had a PP, now it's like oh gee look a PP, think I'll go to the bathroom or grab a drink now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't agree with all our ES lines but we can argue all day, lol. Lets just hope they work out.

I do agree about our PP having major issues, and think as long as Stamkos is not playing well, it will impact the PP, like the bad passes he has made. Problem is, not enough shots going towards the net. when you shoot on goal, good things will happen. Does coop say, ok going to give Stamkos less time on the PP? I think it's more of the coaching and execution of the PP than the personnel, imo. We have seen this PP be red hot, and now it's ice cold, with an exception of a couple of PP goals the last few games. I used to get excited when he had a PP, now it's like oh gee look a PP, think I'll go to the bathroom or grab a drink now.

If we eventually do go with Cally back on top line (which I think will happen at some point), we could still have a mediocre shutdown line with:

TKO
Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan (I wish the LW and RW could be reversed)
Killorn - Flip - Paquette/Brown
Morrow - Boyle - Connolly/Brown/Paquette

Might give us a few more ES goals, but the 3rd suffers a lot. It's almost a waste of Filppula. But I don't think it's a bad option if we find ourselves struggling at ES.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we eventually do go with Cally back on top line (which I think will happen at some point), we could still have a mediocre shutdown line with:

TKO
Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan (I wish the LW and RW could be reversed)
Killorn - Flip - Paquette/Brown
Morrow - Boyle - Connolly/Brown/Paquette

Might give us a few more ES goals, but the 3rd suffers a lot. It's almost a waste of Filppula. But I don't think it's a bad option if we find ourselves struggling at ES.

I honestly don't know what to think. All I know is that now the top line consists of a guy with a .50 PPG average and a guy with no assists in nearly 30 games, am I really missing something? If I am please let me know.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I honestly don't know what to think. All I know is that now the top line consists of a guy with a .50 PPG average and a guy with no assists in nearly 30 games, am I really missing something? If I am please let me know.

It's not the top line anymore. Stamkos is effectively a second line center right now. I still think the fundamental problem is all our playmakers, save Kucherov, are LWs or centers. Flip, apparently, can play either wing. But Stamkos is used to breaking into the offensive zone with the puck on his right (and with subsequent passes coming right into his wheelhouse). I'm starting to think a lot of his issues have come from trying to adjust that change, which has led to him trying to do way too much on his own.

So yeah, right now Stamkos is getting the leftovers. But that's probably our best option in terms of winning games.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Goals bro, nobody cares about assists.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
PP struggles ? Absolutely predictable. TB's been horse **** at generating shots on net this season on men advantage.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad