GDT: 1/2/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Pittsburgh

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Not sure how you can say that, Connolly and Carle were the only two on the plus side.

I mean that they weren't out there when the other team scored and the reason they were a 0 and not a + was becuase the line didn't score.

They were out there for the EN at the end but they weren't responsible for that.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean that they weren't out there when the other team scored and the reason they were a 0 and not a + was becuase the line didn't score.

They were out there for the EN at the end but they weren't responsible for that.

You don't have to defend Cally or Flip. They did their job had some good offensive tries but then lost their LW, and had to skate with a different player. Coop is just not playing these combos right. At that point who cares about a shutdown line, put your top players on the ice and roll with it.

Last edited:

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
You don't have to defend Cally or Flip. They did their job had some good offensive tries but then lost their LW, and had to skate with a different player. Coop is just not playing these combos right. At that point who cares about a shutdown line, put your top players on the ice and roll with it.

I must agree at this point. Choose who has been playing best and go with it. That however might require the short-term benching of Stamkos and Hedman... which I don't ever think Cooper will do.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We beat ourselves? is that code for we suck?

Coop lost this game. We had the chance to come back and they blew it with those awful line combo changes . Don't even care what goals were scored. It is like Pissing on a brushfire in the woods to try and put it out .

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
So, not a comment on the game tonight, but more on the NHL scheduling in general. How do some teams have 40 games played already, while others only have 35? That is a pretty large gap between games played...

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
So, not a comment on the game tonight, but more on the NHL scheduling in general. How do some teams have 40 games played already, while others only have 35? That is a pretty large gap between games played...

Ask Bettman? Nah I have no idea lol

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is the game I'll point to the next time someone says that Stamkos can't be playing that badly since he has x points

He only has 5 points in the last 10 games. That is not very good. Unless you are a 4th line player.

To sum most of the players...

Flip - 5 in the last 10 games
Cally - 7 in the last 10 games
Palat - 11 in the last 10 games
Kuch - 12 in the last 10 games
Johnson 11 in the last 10 games

Drouin 3 in his last 10 games
Killorn 2 in his last 10 games

We just can't have TKO scoring. Lines need some drastic changes, but leaving TKO intact.

Last edited:

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Wondering whats going through Stammers head.. Is it Marty? Is it his leg? Is it a new contract? Toronto? Something just isn't right. :-\

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wondering whats going through Stammers head.. Is it Marty? Is it his leg? Is it a new contract? Toronto? Something just isn't right. :-\

It's not his line mates for sure. Anytime a player comes back from a major injury it could take a good year or more to get back to 100 percent it is not just the physical part but the mental part which is the fear of getting hurt again. This happened to Rick Nash last season. It could take till next season before he is 100 percent. Some players go right back out there and are fearless others get that fear and hold back their play and don't push themselves.

I'm just tired of players who are doing well getting shuffled because one player is struggling . Happened to Drouin last night .

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Is Stamkos sick and just playing through it? Gudas was out with the flu so it's not a stretch to imagine it may be working it's way through the locker room.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Maybe it's just the pressure. I mean he's the go-to guy wearing the "C" on his chest now. Which would be even more ironic since others like #9, #18 or #86 have carried this team thus far.

But still, every move he makes will get (over-)analyzed. This was the case when he was the league's hottest goal scorer but now he's the face of a top-3 team in the East. Maybe it got to his head a bit and makes him think too much.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
One thing Stamkos hasn't had all year is a legit playmaker on his RIGHT side. Kucherov is our only guy who fits that, and he's locked in with TKO.

If Stamkos saw the puck going up ice on his strong side more often than not, I think it would have an effect on his mentality.

But last night, IMO, was his first bad game in the last 3-4, so there's been an improvement. Last night he was back to chasing pucks instead of looking for open space.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
One thing Stamkos hasn't had all year is a legit playmaker on his RIGHT side. Kucherov is our only guy who fits that, and he's locked in with TKO.

If Stamkos saw the puck going up ice on his strong side more often than not, I think it would have an effect on his mentality.

But last night, IMO, was his first bad game in the last 3-4, so there's been an improvement. Last night he was back to chasing pucks instead of looking for open space.

Couldn't agree with this more. We've taken Callahan from him, just when they began building some chemistry. Packy, yet again, screwed them over a multitude of times going into the offensive zone.

Stamkos is our captain and the best goal scorer we have, there's no getting around that. When he's hot, the guy can consistently put up 2 goals a night with ease.

Everyone wants to talk about how he needs to help himself. He's not Wayne Gretzky (and even he had consistent wingers). He needs a "buddy" who can get to the net with him.

Crosby-Malkin

Ovi-Backstrom

Point is, the best guys in the league have a partner they can rely on.

P.S. I know Crosby and Malkin don't play on each others lines constantly, but when they do it's pretty damn hard to shut them down.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Couldn't agree with this more. We've taken Callahan from him, just when they began building some chemistry. Packy, yet again, screwed them over a multitude of times going into the offensive zone.

Stamkos is our captain and the best goal scorer we have, there's no getting around that. When he's hot, the guy can consistently put up 2 goals a night with ease.

Everyone wants to talk about how he needs to help himself. He's not Wayne Gretzky (and even he had consistent wingers). He needs a "buddy" who can get to the net with him.

Crosby-Malkin

Ovi-Backstrom

Point is, the best guys in the league have a partner they can rely on.

P.S. I know Crosby and Malkin don't play on each others lines constantly, but when they do it's pretty damn hard to shut them down.

I don't think Callahan's that guy either though. Callahan's not really a playmaker. He's not the guy you want leading the rush. That, IMO, is what Stamkos needs (or at least the one thing he hasn't had all year), and he needs it specifically on the right side so he can try to lose himself in traffic once we gain the zone.

We don't have that player, except Kucherov, unless we try to convert a LW (Drouin) to RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad