Game Analysis: #1 - 10/3/13 | New York Rangers @ Phoenix Coyotes Analysis

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I'm loving the transition game, the defensemen jumping into the rush is great, and we're getting chances. Smith looks dominant.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Staal looks amazing. Pretty simple analysis on him.
Girardi still doesn't have the consistent offensive talent to be used in offensive situations.
Del Zotto is also giving me mixed feelings. A lot of talent, and a lot of dumb plays.
McDonagh really needs to work on his shot. Get some help from Marc.
No particular comments on the bottom two. Solid.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
Mike Smith is actually a really good goalie guys. This isn't necessarily a classic Rangers, make the backup/rookie look like a Vezina candidate. Smith might actually be a Vezina candidate.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Now I'm not saying it was a bad period, but preseason included this is like the 9th period in a row where board consensus is that we had a good period and yet we lost the period. That's gotta change at some point.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I was amused to see that the Pyatt Boyle line was actually our best that period.

Obviously, we're a bit loose, and the big difficulty was the handling of the puck. A lot of puck jumping over sticks.

Stepan looked as though he could've used some of those preseason games.

Oh, and if you keep pressing Smith, he will mess up. The guy's ego is outrageous with the puck on his stick.

Only 4:51 for Moore that period even with McD out. Staal handled most of it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As far as the score goes... you can never be too upset about being down 1 goal after one period on the road. Doubly true for opening night.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
They're creating chances, instead of waiting for the other team to break down. It's nice to watch.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
The Rangers will win if they continue to play like this.

They played the better period and started off much better until Pouliot killed the momentum of the game.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I would say the big criticism is lack of battle on the boards and really poor slot presence...

Boyle needs to be shot out of cannon....

*Bob Richards*

Mike Smith is a way better goalie than people give him credit for.

16 To Stanley*

Great first for a road home opener in a different time zone.

People are forgetting, Phoenix SHOULD be the team coming out hard.

Anyways, very good transition. Really liked what i saw out of MDZ, Richards, Pouliot, Staal.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
Pouliot lacks hockey sense, which explains why he's on his 5th team. Killed early flow of the game. Fast has exponentially more hockey IQ even in career game 1. I like JT Miller's grit. Pyatt is a waste of a roster spot. Hank caused havoc again with poor puck handling skills. PP still needs tremendous work but it's early.

Putting all of that aside, this was yet ANOTHER scoreless period with a hot goalie that we made look even better without true elite scoring on the roster.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Not a bad period.

Big negative is watching Pyatt and Boyle play at the same time. Can't see a spot for either of them with both Hagelin and Callahan coming back soon. Also, with Kreider, Kristo and Hrivik close to being NHL ready. Hopefully one of those 3 are up sooner rather than later.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
not a bad period by the rangers. There was one mistake that led to the goal. other than that we played well. Gotta give Mike smith credit. Im a little worried about Nash, he was awful in preseason but i just figured he wanst going all out

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The PP will look good when they will score on the PP. Until then its sucks.
No the powerplay can look good without scoring. The powerplay will BE good when they score. They're different see. Look---Be. Different

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
All in all a good period in my opinion, the score non-withstanding. Smith has been excellent for Phoenix, hope we'll put a couple past him in the second and third.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Sloppy breakdown from Stepan aside (obviously still in preseason mode) that was a strong road period. Definitely notice a difference in the transitional play (thank god).

Also thought Richie looks a lot more comfortable on the wing. Only a period though. Hopefully it's a starting pt.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Thought Staal and Richards were both good. J Moore & ;DZ too. The Moai twins make Fast stuck with a tough job that he handled well. Hank should have had the goaö OMO. If he wants $64M + he gotta stop those. Rick Nash MIA

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
The powerplay looks much better. And the team looks so much more fun.

Losing with this team is so different to losing last year. It actually looks like we're trying, and want to score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad