Game Analysis: #1 - 10/3/13 | New York Rangers @ Phoenix Coyotes Analysis

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This thread will be open between periods and after the game. Please note that the standard of discourse here is higher than in the GDT, and will be moderated as such.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
We actually have a transition and are getting point shots through. Liking the new look so far.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd like to see the Rangers go higher on Smith. There's too many pucks going at his pads. Smith is unbeatable low and struggles high. Hope we adjust.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Brad Richards looks much better than he did at the end of last season. Make good, smart plays.

Boyle and Pyatt are literally Stone hands and kill quite a bit.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Momentum and home opener adrenaline got us early, looked much better about mid way. Smith is the only reason we're not up 2-1.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
We actually have a transition and are getting point shots through. Liking the new look so far.

It's definitely nice to see the team carry the puck out of their zone instead of bank it off the glass and hope for the best.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Quick transition. PP showed glimpses of looking better. PK is still questionable, good thing we have Hank without Hags and Callahan.

Overall, I thought that was a good period of hockey from the Rangers. Generated chances and were pretty dominant in terms of controlling the pace after the first few minutes.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Another year of making every other goalie look like a god.

Some very high level of discourse. One (good) goalie looks good for 20 minutes and that's somehow a testament to the whole season. A goalie has to look like **** against us, otherwise we're MAKING him look good, not like he's a pro in the best league in the world. Some "analysis". :shakehead

Muh

Beadle
Dec 9, 2010
Sloatsburg, NY
I saw a lot more good then bad in that period, hoping that continues. Mike Smith made some huge saves that kept this a 1 goal deficit.

First PP, win the face off, one timer from the point. Didn't see enough of either of those last year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
A few thoughts.

I'm already way more comfortable with our transition getting out of the d-zone than I was last year. We seem to be able to actually pass the puck.

That said, I'm not sure about the Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc line right now. They seem to do an awful lot of east-west movement. Hasn't really worked. Yet. Jury's out.

The powerplay looks pretty much the same to me.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Why did the GDT get closed? It doesn't have 1k posts yet?

Edit: AAaaaaahhhhhhh...I get it.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
We need someone to move with the puck. Everyone is standing dead still in every single situation. All of our shots have been static and coming from the outside. The PP looks decent but I don't know how good the cycling is.

Phoenix is pressuring the puck in our defensive zone a lot. We need to outlet that puck quickly. I don't know why we have to stand there and watch the ice before pushing the puck forward.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Rangers looked good, had good speed, fast transition is HUGE going to really help. Henk has looked good, hasn't been really tested much.

Brassard with zucc and pouliot looks like the best line with the best chemistry. I think step with nash and Richards is coming along, but not there yet.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Smith's luck isn't going to last, we're gunna pot one soon, I just hope it's before Phoenix is able to get another.

Del Zotto has looked awesome, he's going to have a great year.

Richards should be using his slap shot more, it's good to see him use it on the power play

Re: the power play: our zone entry is still awful. Got caught offsides twice.

Somebody please save Fast. Switch him and Dorsett.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Transition is so much better. We seem to have actual plays to break out with. The passing wasn't great, and the receiving was even worse, but I like the idea.

Defensively, we looked confused, and we seem to think allowing wide open shots in the slot is pretty awesome.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
All in all, a decent period; we looked like a team that could be good but is adjusting to a new style of play. PHX had a run after we took the penalty and capitalised on a mistake, but other than that, we've looked solid.

Transition play looks much sharper, we're actually getting odd man rushes. Staal had an awesome period. Props to Mike Smith for keeping PHX up 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad