Game Analysis: #1 - 10/3/13 | New York Rangers @ Phoenix Coyotes Analysis

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I can only imagine if Nash hadn't dropped his glove but Hanzal did, we'd be hearing from the same posters and they'd be saying he was a ***** for not fighting.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
well its more like hes the sidekick who sheepishly pulls out his gun.. if you watch the reply nash has a look on his face like ****ing seriously man? he didnt want to fight.. i think he just didnt want to get punched in the face..

honestly who the **** cares how tough nash is? how tough was jagr? if we are defining toughness by hitting and fighting.. nash plays every top dman in the league, thats tough..

not sure why you're whining.. nash is a top 10 player in the league; the rangers are lucky to have him.

:laugh: no.

I do agree with your first thought though.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
well its more like hes the sidekick who sheepishly pulls out his gun.. if you watch the reply nash has a look on his face like ****ing seriously man? he didnt want to fight.. i think he just didnt want to get punched in the face..

honestly who the **** cares how tough nash is? how tough was jagr? if we are defining toughness by hitting and fighting.. nash plays every top dman in the league, thats tough..

not sure why you're whining.. nash is a top 10 player in the league; the rangers are lucky to have him.

:help:

I like Nash, I do, but he's no where close to being a top 10 player in the league.

On his fight, I wasn't a huge fan of it, but people were going to complain either way. He does need to play a lot better. And that goes back further than just this season.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I don't knock Nash at all for fighting, and it WAS refreshing to see some passion/frustration/grit, whatever you wanna call it. I just don't see why some posters wanted to point to his small scrap as some kind of "see! There, that proves he's hustling!!" kind of absolution from the criticism that he was floating and not visible. Why can't he have been invisible most of the night and then had a small scrap at the end of the game? Why does it have to be "see, Nash fought (generous really) so he couldn't have had a lazy game!!"? Some people are just CONCERNED that Nash seemed unengaged and unnoticeable in the opener, seemed to dog it throughout the preseason (fine - more than fine, actually - if he brought it full throttle once the games started meaning something), and looked lost and floating during the playoffs last spring. It's not hate. It's not looking for things to complain about. We're a bit concerned about a guy with a big contract, who we paid a big price to acquire showing some noticeable instances of floating and being unengaged. It's good on him for dropping the gloves and showing some spine, for sure. I just don't understand why so many wanted to point to the miniature scuffle as if it absolved Nash of anything else he might have done poorly in the game.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I don't knock Nash at all for fighting, and it WAS refreshing to see some passion/frustration/grit, whatever you wanna call it. I just don't see why some posters wanted to point to his small scrap as some kind of "see! There, that proves he's hustling!!" kind of absolution from the criticism that he was floating and not visible. Why can't he have been invisible most of the night and then had a small scrap at the end of the game? Why does it have to be "see, Nash fought (generous really) so he couldn't have had a lazy game!!"? Some people are just CONCERNED that Nash seemed unengaged and unnoticeable in the opener, seemed to dog it throughout the preseason (fine - more than fine, actually - if he brought it full throttle once the games started meaning something), and looked lost and floating during the playoffs last spring. It's not hate. It's not looking for things to complain about. We're a bit concerned about a guy with a big contract, who we paid a big price to acquire showing some noticeable instances of floating and being unengaged. It's good on him for dropping the gloves and showing some spine, for sure. I just don't understand why so many wanted to point to the miniature scuffle as if it absolved Nash of anything else he might have done poorly in the game.

I don't recall many saying it absolves him of anything. You may be blowing the whole thing out of proportion. If they were saying that it was likely tongue in cheek to counter the people who post all sorts of things attacking him over the slightest issue.

Either way one thing is for sure we have some dreams queens on both sides of the argument.

To address one of your other points, he out produced the guys we traded for him in both the regular season and playoffs last season. So it's kind of a moot point.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
The whole fight, I was worried about him breaking his hand on Hanzal's visor. It made me sick to my stomach.

If you watch the replay closely , Nash didn't go over to him . Hanzal went right to Nash and Nash saw him coming at the last second. If you watch Nash he doesn't say anything and he looks like he isn't the aggressor. Hanzal dropped his gloves first and Nash looked like he wanted no part.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If you watch the replay closely , Nash didn't go over to him . Hanzal went right to Nash and Nash saw him coming at the last second. If you watch Nash he doesn't say anything and he looks like he isn't the aggressor. Hanzal dropped his gloves first and Nash looked like he wanted no part.

I wasn't making a judgment on who started the fight or whether or not Nash should be fighting at all. I was just saying that it had me worried. I still wonder how his hand felt the next day and feels today.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
:laugh: no.

I do agree with your first thought though.

well quite honestly there are about 30-50 different players who could be top 10 at any given time.. ups and downs man ups and downs.. to argue top players and what ever else is pointless.. yes the guy can be frustrating as all hell to watch, but thats because you know the possibilities.. if he has the puck in the offensive zone, he can pretty much score from anywhere..

but to say nash isnt a top player in the nhl is kinda silly.. hes a lock for team canada, i think that tells a bit.. teams put there top defense/top line against him.. i wonder why.. dude is 6'4 220 and skates like he is 6 foot.. his skill level is off the charts, even if it isnt apparent every game or shift..

i dont put much stock into stats, but if i remeber correctly he is the nhl goal leader since his rookie season.. 9 straight 20 goal seasons.. you dont get that consistency without being one of the best..

so laugh all ya want, disagree all ya want, but rick nash is one of the top players in the nhl, for sure.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
not that it matters, but since his draft year Nash is 6th in the NHL for goals with (1 ahead of Marleau who's played almost 60 more games).

Top 5 are:
Kovy
AO
Iginla
Heatley
Hossa

He's 22nd overall in pts

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
not that it matters, but since his draft year Nash is 6th in the NHL for goals with (1 ahead of Marleau who's played almost 60 more games).

Top 5 are:
Kovy
AO
Iginla
Heatley
Hossa

He's 22nd overall in pts

how can this not take into account fights and big scary open ice hits? Those are the stats that matter. Goals are stupid. Nash still sucks.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
how can this not take into account fights and big scary open ice hits? Those are the stats that matter. Goals are stupid. Nash still sucks.

It's nice that he's 6th in goals since he was drafted. It was a while ago and it's not entirely relevant to right now. Where does he rank the last 3-4 years? He's 22nd in points since he was drafted, which is also nice (and when I say nice, I'm not being facetious, Nash is obviously an incredible offensive talent), but where is he in points the last 5 years? And for some guys who might be below him - the Lucic's and the Bergeron's - being 25th or 30th or 40th in points (all good places to be) still doesn't automatically mean you have a greater impact than some of the guys below you in scoring. Scoring is a lot. It's not every thing. Nash is a very good player. He's not the difference maker some of us hoped for. That's really not a slight, it's just the way it has turned out.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Last 3 seasons he is 11th (tied with 10th but more games played. Last 5 years he's in 8th - both numbers are fir goals only.

Jeez i'm bored at work...

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I can only imagine if Nash hadn't dropped his glove but Hanzal did, we'd be hearing from the same posters and they'd be saying he was a ***** for not fighting.

Yeah absolutely, like how can he take such a penalty. Kudos to Nash, but if he is the one that has to do that, then you know the Rangers will not compete against big bodied teams that grind the puck down low and will do what ever it takes to win.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
Last 3 seasons he is 11th (tied with 10th but more games played. Last 5 years he's in 8th - both numbers are fir goals only.

Jeez i'm bored at work...

so we can say he is a top 15 goal scorer in the nhl? hows that sound varn? not bad when there are 30 teams..

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

Top 5 are:
Kovy
AO
Iginla
Heatley
Hossa

He's 22nd overall in pts

even still, 10 guys you'd rather have over Nash?

Crosby, Malkin, AO, Kovalchuk, Tavares, Stamkos, Giroux, Kane, Datsyuk one of the Sedins... by the end of the (unordered) list, you could start debating the issue but he has never been the game changer teams need. He can certainly take over games but not with nearly the consistency you need from an elite top 10 player. He has elite dangling skills, shooting, and power skating but there are several parts of his game that leave something to be desired. Not the most well rounded in skills but where he is good, he is top shelf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad