Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/04/18 | predators @ RANGERS | 7:30 - MSG, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In fairness, there was a transition cliff... very good in our zone... in their zone, it was Vesey's line vs. Nashville, and they didn't produce.

The Chytil line was good too. And Nashville honestly didn't have much except for odd-man rushes that are probably a function of a new system. I'd be a lot more concerned if we gave up 0 odd-man rushes but were buried in our zone all game as we've been under AV. It wasn't a perfect game, but I was actually very impressed. So far I'm very very impressed by Quinn. I know it's one game.

I'm just pissed that the officials took at least a point away from us. It was disgusting officiating, absolutely disgusting.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The Chytil line was good too. And Nashville honestly didn't have much except for odd-man rushes that are probably a function of a new system. I'd be a lot more concerned if we gave up 0 odd-man rushes but were buried in our zone all game as we've been under AV. It wasn't a perfect game, but I was actually very impressed. So far I'm very very impressed by Quinn. I know it's one game.

I'm just pissed that the officials took at least a point away from us. It was disgusting officiating, absolutely disgusting.
It seemed like every odd man rush was because of staal...not even joking...it really felt that way to me.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I think they have the tools, money, doctors , and facilities to pull off a planned nose dive.

The problem hasn’t been that they can’t do it. The problem is they’ve never done it.

You're missing the point.
This is a completely planned nose dive to the fullest effect.

THAT DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU A FRANCHISE PLAYER!!!

They've gotten nothing but mediocre talent since this nightmare started so what makes you believe they're going to get elite players outside of just getting lucky?

This is nothing more than an extreme gamble with an original 6 team and an experiment that has epically failed in every possible way to this point..

EEL

Sep 18, 2008
HHI
I just can't get over how bad Marc staal has been so far this season including the preseason games...I honestly didn't think he'd get worse...but man...I mean....he's not even playing like an ahl player...he's just....brutal.
Why because he was responsible for 3 - 2 on 1’s?? I heard he tried real hard though.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

They've gotten nothing but mediocre talent since this nightmare started so what makes you believe they're going to get elite players outside of just getting lucky?

This is nothing more than an extreme gamble with an original 6 team and an experiment that has epically failed in every possible way to this point..

First of all this "nightmare" started only last year and how do you know that Chytil, Anderson, Howden, Hayek, Kravtsov, Miller etc are mediocre talent.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Our traditional coaches thoughts about the game. I admit it`s a bit delayed, but the official tweet is 21 min. old with coach Quinn.

It was sad that we did not get at least Overtime hockey, but I`m looking forward to this weekend already with some more Rangers hockey!

Reactions: egelband

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
First of all this "nightmare" started only last year and how do you know that Chytil, Anderson, Howden, Hayek, Kravtsov, Miller etc are mediocre talent.

What am I missing here?
How about you answer your own question?
Are any of them elite?
Were any of them ever protected as being elite?

It's a crap shoot if any of them even make an NHL roster.

Miller?
He's not even used to playing defense yet and the pick was made purely based on his athleticism.

Who does that? Lol

What a joke..

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

No you are evading my point by focusing on not only the 1OA, but getting a generational talent at 1OA.

Of course the truism of no guarantees applies, but...

Picking in the top 4 for a few years [including easier 2nd and 3rd round picks] overwhelmingly increases the odds of long term success as opposed being in the middle and or not winning the cup.

As a long term Ranger fan, how have you now had front row seats to this refusal to bottom out as decade after decade other franchises do it and achieve success?

The Rangers are the epitome and end result of doing what you are suggesting.

So seriously f*** that.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What am I missing here?
Are any of them elite?

Miller?
He's not even used to playing defense yet and the pick was made purely based on his athleticism.

Who does that? Lol

What a joke..

From reports a few teams right beyond the 22 pick were gonna take him including Minn and Anaheim (one team that has no problems drafting good defensemen)

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You and the board can be fine with it all you want.
I, however am not but I guess I'll just have to accept this train wreck for now..
Idc who is fine with it or isn't, that's not why I was questioning your post. Like I said before, everyone already knows it's a bad roster. But you said it as if no one does. Idk y u did that.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
This is kind of what we expected, no? The team would play hard, battle and come up short in a close game against good teams. I expect to see a ton of games like this this year, and that's the best case scenario. It'll be nice to see a team that doesn't take every third game off.

Reactions: PlamsUnlimited

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
I want to see Smith and Skjei as the top pairing. Perhaps that is the plan and DQ wants Smith to "earn" it. Also, for how much I've heard about Shatty's extended summer of training and being in peak condition, he looks just as lost in our own end as last year. Too many liabilities on our defense. Thought it was a good game overall tho. Urgency picked up in the last period which was good to see.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Sounds like you need to wake up and face the reality of the situation.

Losing does not guarantee you the #1 pick but I'm sure you're adamant about ignoring that very important fact..

Picks 2-5 are exponentially more valuable then picks 8 or later
Why aren't you even considering this?

Anyone who thinks this is about the 1 overall and nothing else is wrong

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Right? We learned our lesson in 2012-15. We didn't win a Cup because we lacked high end game breaking talent. Because we haven't had a top 5 pick in OVER 20 YEARS. We are one of maybe two teams in the league without multiple top 5 picks since the lockout.

It's time we get our gamebreaker. Nothing happens until we do.
I thought it was bc one high end talent died, a solid top 4 D had his career ended, Staal had an eye busted up, Girardi passed to the wrong team, the refs ducked up a game and AV turtles like he did when he blew his other SCF and like he did when he blew countless games/series.

The idea that we lost bc of a top 5 pick and nothing else is just wrong.
It's funny when I bring up chere in this exact type of discussion, the people always try to dismiss that point by saying "well there's no guarantee he'd have been elite!" Which is hilarious bc they refuse to apply that same logic to a top 5 pick

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
What am I missing here?
Are any of them elite?

Miller?

Who does that? Lol

What a joke..
How do you not realize how awful your logic is. This JUST started and the whole idea of being bad is to get great talent...again we JUST started being bad. So you are complaining that they've only gotten mediocre talent through other methods since we only JUST started going this route.

Follow me here. According to you we only have mediocre talent. Being competitive is what we did until very recently. Therefore being competitive GOT us the mediocre talent you are complaining about.

Simultaneously, while you complain about the mediocre talent we got while being competitive you ALSO claim we could have stayed competitive and built a team with great talent.

Then you compound it further by acting as if we got this mediocre talent specifically bc of our current plan...even though we literally JUST started our current course. Then it's even WORSE bc the prospects are so new that the jury is still out. At least 3 have a legit chance of being at least close to elite.

Then you ask a question like "were they protected as if they're elite"? Teams were able to steal prospects in the pipeline? They needed protection? Since when?

What. The. f***.

The only remotely salient point is that losing does not guarantee a franchise player.

This point ignores that it does grant you a much much more valuable pick. It's still no guarantee but shouldn't be ignored either

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
So was this game a fluke for Vesey or did Quinn tap into something? He still can't finish to save his life.

Jimmy is very hot and cold. Well, more cold than hot. He was red hot in the one game against Boston as well. He shows up for games that have extra meaning for him like Preds and Bruins. It's all there but you don't see it often. Kind of like Jake Virtanen. Hopefully he can put it together this year or next year. If Quinn can dial Jimmy in game in and game out, he'll be a great surprise for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad