Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/04/18 | predators @ RANGERS | 7:30 - MSG, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I mean...just throwing this out there...

Trade Hayes, zucc, spooner, mcquaid and namestnikov for futures...
Win the draft lotto. Draft Hughes, sign ek65, and panarin this off-season..and go to war with this next year...

Panarin Hughes kravtsov
Kreider zibanejad buchnevich
Lias chytil fasth
Gettinger howden vesey

Skjei ek65
Smith shattenkirk
Hajek DeAngelo
Pionk

Staal bought out

It's not a championship caliber team...but it sure as hell ain't far off.

What happens the 80-90% of the time they do not get the first overall pick and Hughes?

My very rough calculation would have us ~8% to get the first pick assuming we finish in the bottom 10 100% of the time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
And yet he is a 7th or 8th defenseman. I am not sure that waiver level players make a defense better.

We are rebuilding. Staal’s contract spans over 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21. Smith’s contract spans over 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21.. Shatty’s contract spans over 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21. Girardis contract is on our books for 18/19, 19/20, 20/21, 21/22 and 22/23.

Seriously, I would without any doubt prefer whatever downgrade on our blueline — if there would be one, I am personally not at all so sure that we couldn’t find a reclamation project, waiver pickup or whatever that could take a regular shift — it means if we Gorts starts turning every single stone to get rid of some of these contracts.

JMHO.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`ll be honest I closed different topics recently, because I know based on life experience going public forum can be a tedious experience. So best option for me is probably to retire from HF and watch hockey on TV. Maybe I will come back later and write some sentences about hockey, and less about other content and opinions just to get a discussion going, and nothing personal guys. I really enjoy reading from many content creators here like @Stasis who I really enjoy reading, and many others here like @Ola and others, and thanks for moderation all these years - you are doing a great job here, and they are doing this in their sparetime.

I just try to write it so other understand the content and on how maybe players who play in NHL react and see situations and maybe how they experience it.

I will take a break from forum for now, and I wish New York Rangers best of luck in the future as well, and coach Quinn he did really well and I like him. Anyway have a good weekend - I feel I need break at least.

Reactions: Stasis

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Why did Jeff Gorton pay him over 4 mil $ this summer? Did he vanish in the training camp? Did Nam play hockey at all in Tampa, and why did the experience NHL Tampa coach use him on their top lines with Stamkos?

Have you ever consider that maybe Quinn is clueless? I don`t know how to say it or word it, but he lost his first NHL game in MSG..
And if a player of Nam experience notice such things - personally I would not care less if I was sent to the box or playing on a 4th line here in NY - it`s like night/day from Nam perspective - I thought to help you with the thought process.

My point is Gorton or the New York coach can`t afford to use a player this way - he is not a 4th line talented player, and more likely the player is upset based on my reasoning in this post.

Anyway I need a sub, have a good evening! :)

And Nam is upset on how he has been used - no doubts about it, and he could care less what the return is when the Rangers trying going that route.
KZB is probably the only "regular" line we have, the other 3 are likely going to see changes fairly regularly as Quinn is trying to find combinations that work, we'll have injuries, people move up and down between the Rangers / Wolfpack, etc.

Now, i can perfectly understand that Names is annoyed/irritated at his usage (at 9:35 of ice time, he got the least on the team, a full minute less than the next (Howden)), but this is still an adjustment period out of training camp, and him being professional should have easily trumped his personal feelings.

If this had been the 5th game in a row where this happens, then Names would have had a case.. but it isn't.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
After one game our already very clearly better coached team is coached by someone clueless.

Herpity derpity derp.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean...just throwing this out there...

Trade Hayes, zucc, spooner, mcquaid and namestnikov for futures...
Win the draft lotto. Draft Hughes, sign ek65, and panarin this off-season..and go to war with this next year...

Panarin Hughes kravtsov
Kreider zibanejad buchnevich
Lias chytil fasth
Gettinger howden vesey

Skjei ek65
Smith shattenkirk
Hajek DeAngelo
Pionk

Staal bought out

It's not a championship caliber team...but it sure as hell ain't far off.

I’ve thought about the same option too. I am not at all so sure that it would be a bad approach.

And of course, we know that like 50% of the time guys like Panarin/EK doesn’t hit the market and if they do it’s of course like 50% they wouldn’t sign with us and odds aren’t that we win the lottery either — and so forth and so forth. But there always options.

But to be honest, I can’t understand why you would want to hang on to Shatty? And especially if we got EK?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Why did Jeff Gorton pay him over 4 mil $ this summer? Did he vanish in the training camp? Did Nam play hockey at all in Tampa, and why did the experience NHL Tampa coach use him on their top lines with Stamkos?

Have you ever consider that maybe Quinn is clueless? I don`t know how to say it or word it, but he lost his first NHL game in MSG..
And if a player of Nam experience notice such things - personally I would not care less if I was sent to the box or playing on a 4th line here in NY - it`s like night/day from Nam perspective - I thought to help you with the thought process.

My point is Gorton or the New York coach can`t afford to use a player this way - he is not a 4th line talented player, and more likely the player is upset based on my reasoning in this post.

Anyway I need a sub, have a good evening! :)

And Nam is upset on how he has been used - no doubts about it, and he could care less what the return is when the Rangers trying going that route.

I agree somewhat in that I think that Namestnikov is not a bad player, he has some skills, but he somehow has not figured out how to find a place on the Rangers either last year or so far this year. He's on the 4th line because he didn't do anything to show he should be playing above guys like Spooner, Vesey, or Kreider. I'm sure he is frustrated, but...he's also getting out played by other players and somehow, some way he and the coaching staff need to figure out how to get it to work for him. It's not wasting a player if that player is being outplayed by everyone else.

I think your point that Quinn lost his first game at MSG (against one of the best teams in the league) and is therefor clueless and Namestnikov doesn't respect him because of that is an odd one.

I just try to write it so other understand the content and on how maybe players who play in NHL react and see situations and maybe how they experience it.

...Are you a former NHL player or professional athlete? If not I'm unsure why you'd have more insight into that than anyone else here.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I`ll be honest I closed different topics recently, because I know based on life experience going public forum can be a tedious experience. So best option for me is probably to retire from HF and watch hockey on TV. Maybe I will come back later and write some sentences about hockey, and less about other content and opinions just to get a discussion going, and nothing personal guys. I really enjoy reading from many content creators here like @Stasis who I really enjoy reading, and many others here like @Ola and others, and thanks for moderation all these years - you are doing a great job here, and they are doing this in their sparetime.

I will take a break from forum for now, and I wish New York Rangers best of luck in the future as well, and coach Quinn he did really well and I like him. Anyway have a good weekend - I feel I need break at least.
There is no need to retire, unless you feel that is best for you. Take a step back, do some other things that you enjoy, and before you know it, you might want to come back :)

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Seriously, I would without any doubt prefer whatever downgrade on our blueline — if there would be one, I am personally not at all so sure that we couldn’t find a reclamation project, waiver pickup or whatever that could take a regular shift — it means if we Gorts starts turning every single stone to get rid of some of these contracts.
You just quoted the numbers on the contracts. Who would take them?

I know you are voicing frustration, but I have a hard time thinking that there are 4 waiver level players who could step in and play the caliber of starters.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trueblue- We both know that we aren’t getting rid of all 4 nightmares/potential nightmares over night.

But seriously, if Gorton could move Shatty and Smith before the end of November he shouldn’t hesitate a second.

It would give us:
Skjei-McQ
Staal-Pionk
Claesson-ADA

Teams will try to sneak a few Ds through waivers that didn’t make the top 7/have filled in for injuries soon. Not to mention what you can get for like a 2-4th rounder, maybe a reclamation project that actually can become a contributor when this rebuild ends?
I do not disagree. But I think that Smith needs prolonged period of solid play before a team will even begin to think about adding his salary. And November is not that long term. And Shatty needs even longer than that considering his level of play from last year, injury and what he has opened with. Only my viewpoint, of course.

Reactions: Ola

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Quinn needs to calm down a little, he's yelling and screaming until his voice shuts down, it's day and night compared to AV. Players don't like it.
Clearly AV's soft spoken tones may have been preferred, but also produced very poor results.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
What happened to Ori, did someone hurt his feelings?

He's a good guy, always positive posts, never trying to pick a fight with others.

Reactions: Hellion

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You just quoted the numbers on the contracts. Who would take them?

I know you are voicing frustration, but I have a hard time thinking that there are 4 waiver level players who could step in and play the caliber of starters.

Not saying that this is the path they should follow, but they could basically cover this with what they have now.

Claesson and Hajek in for Staal and Smith

DeAngelo in for Shattenkirk/McQuaid.

Everyone is an upgrade on Staal. I'd venture to say that DeAngelo would be one on McQuaid as well.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Claesson and Hajek in for Staal and Smith

DeAngelo in for Shattenkirk/McQuaid.

Everyone is an upgrade on Staal. I'd venture to say that DeAngelo would be one on McQuaid as well.
I would leave McQuaid in. Had a solid game. Few moments of protecting Henke. No problem with Hajek coming in for Staal or ADA for Shattenkirk. Or ADA for just Staal. However, I think that Quinn will give Staal a very long leash before he pulls the plug on him. I have my doubts about Cleasson.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I know @Levitate but I get too easily provoked by other posters here and that is no excuse by me, and that is only my fault. Because I like x,y players like Nam, but I admit it`s frustrating to watch him struggle., and I feel the whole situation complicated for him and his development and that is just sad.

I will probably write hockey related content or news when I read them, but I will try to avoid opinion related content here in the future, so sorry about that for who it involves - nothing personal at all.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I know @Levitate but I get too easily provoked by other posters here and that is no excuse by me, and that is only my fault. Because I like x,y players like Nam, but I admit it`s frustrating to watch him struggle., and I feel the whole situation complicated for him and his development and that is just sad.

I will probably write hockey related content or news when I read them, but I will try to avoid opinion related content here in the future, so sorry about that for who it involves - nothing personal at all.

I don't want to say that Namestnikov is still struggling with being traded to the Rangers, because how would I know? Yet it does somehow still feel that way. He just hasn't found his place on this team yet and I'm not totally sure what he does well so far, he just more than anything seems frustrated

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
After one game our already very clearly better coached team is coached by someone clueless.

Herpity derpity derp.
I figured for what it is, pretty alright showing.

But yeah people already after 1 game are on about Quinn sucking. Yes. 7-8 games, and only one being regular season is a good barometer. We should have known

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

Oh you're back already...good :DD

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I figured for what it is, pretty alright showing.

But yeah people already after 1 game are on about Quinn sucking. Yes. 7-8 games, and only one being regular season is a good barometer. We should have known
It was obvious - if he didn't do what the HFNYR hive mind talked themselves into circles over in every possible instance, he was clueless.

And he failed. smh

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't want to say that Namestnikov is still struggling with being traded to the Rangers, because how would I know? Yet it does somehow still feel that way. He just hasn't found his place on this team yet and I'm not totally sure what he does well so far, he just more than anything seems frustrated

The fundamental difference last season with Namestnikov in Tampa wasn't the quality of his linemates. He played a lot with players of similar quality in the 2 seasons before. The difference last year was that he spent the entire time in Tampa on a single line. No shuffling around. To me, that says more about his need for stability than his need to play with high quality players.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
What am I missing here?
How about you answer your own question?
Are any of them elite?
Were any of them ever protected as being elite?

It's a crap shoot if any of them even make an NHL roster.

Miller?
He's not even used to playing defense yet and the pick was made purely based on his athleticism.

Who does that? Lol

What a joke..

You were the one who said they were mediocre talent. Again, how do you make that assumption when these kids are so young? Are any of them even over the age of 20 yet? The joke is to say that all the above mentioned are just mediocre when they have just started their pro careers. Lets give them some time, can we. I don't know if any of them are going to be "elite" but I believe quite a few of them will be very valuable pieces for us moving forward. Chytil and Howden have already made the roster and I'm sure Anderson and
How do you not realize how awful your logic is. This JUST started and the whole idea of being bad is to get great talent...again we JUST started being bad. So you are complaining that they've only gotten mediocre talent through other methods since we only JUST started going this route.

Follow me here. According to you we only have mediocre talent. Being competitive is what we did until very recently. Therefore being competitive GOT us the mediocre talent you are complaining about.

Simultaneously, while you complain about the mediocre talent we got while being competitive you ALSO claim we could have stayed competitive and built a team with great talent.

Then you compound it further by acting as if we got this mediocre talent specifically bc of our current plan...even though we literally JUST started our current course. Then it's even WORSE bc the prospects are so new that the jury is still out. At least 3 have a legit chance of being at least close to elite.

Then you ask a question like "were they protected as if they're elite"? Teams were able to steal prospects in the pipeline? They needed protection? Since when?

What. The. ****.

The only remotely salient point is that losing does not guarantee a franchise player.

This point ignores that it does grant you a much much more valuable pick. It's still no guarantee but shouldn't be ignored either

Well said. Thank you.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Namestnikov is a very good bottom six player. I think the time has come where we should stop expecting more than that.

You can argue against the trade/return, but that has nothing to do with who the player is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad