Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/04/18 | predators @ RANGERS | 7:30 - MSG, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Quinn definitely noticed his reaction after telling Names to go serve the penalty. Had a long look following Names skating toward the penalty box.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Coach inserts McLord because he wants more physical play out there, and the fact that nobody answered the bell last night when Buch got drilled in the corner. Coach hates this kind of sissy play, Kreids you hear?
And McLeod proved himself useful at this in the game two Rangers left with injuries from high hits last season so I can see why it would work now.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Trueblue- We both know that we aren’t getting rid of all 4 nightmares/potential nightmares over night.

But seriously, if Gorton could move Shatty and Smith before the end of November he shouldn’t hesitate a second.

It would give us:
Skjei-McQ
Staal-Pionk
Claesson-ADA

Teams will try to sneak a few Ds through waivers that didn’t make the top 7/have filled in for injuries soon. Not to mention what you can get for like a 2-4th rounder, maybe a reclamation project that actually can become a contributor when this rebuild ends?

Reactions: Ori and Off Sides

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Exactly. That's why I don't blame anyone if they're not rooting for a tank. It could fail, there's a decent chance. Simultaneously I get why it makes perfect sense, in a down year (which is bound to happen at least once a decade) to be totally ok with losing for a high pick.

Within those two ideas are a lot of unique interpretations like "You're not guaranteed a franchise player so it's wrong to root for a bad season" or "We'll never win simply bc we didn't have a top 5 pick" and I disagree with both takes due to specific flaws I see in them.

Forget top 5 pick. We need a 1OA in the worst way. It’s actually insane in hockey how much better 1OAs (and 2OA) are compared to everyone else , when compared to other sports with amateur drafting.

Last 10 Hart
Hall (1)
McDavid(1)
Kane(1)
Price (5)
Crosby(1)
Ovechkin(1)
Malkin(2)
Perry(28)
Sedin(3)
Ovechkin (1)

Last 10 art ross
McDavid (1)
McDavid (1)
Kane (1)
Benn (129 lol)
Crosby (1)
St. Louis (udfa)
Malkin(2)
D. Sedin (2)
H. Sedin (3)
Malkin (2)

Then you got Matthews who will win a hart one day, MacKinnon who should have won last year Tavares and Stamkos who are perennial superstars. It’s just insane.

Reactions: Rongomania

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't know am I the only one that wasn't so thrilled about last night? that game is over early if not for lundqvist's efforts.

Staal and Pionk BOTH not pionk because of staal, no staal and pionk both were absolutely laughable. As I said last night if DeAngelo played the game pionk played last night and I mean on basic fundamentals the kid was clueless how to defend on odd man rushes all game, but if DeAngelo played that game he'd be benched a month.

The usage of Staal on offensive zone draws by this coaching staff was completely tone deaf. and having him play with our top line completely nullifying any chance of moving the puck to them for scoring rushes was very apparent. who on earth would think to have them on the ice with their top forwards???

which leads me back to my top forwards. they were HORRIBLE. zibanejad was the better of the 3 but all 3 were terrible. Buchnevich reverted right back to his usual MIA play that we saw most of the end of last season goal not withstanding. but Kreider played an absolutely inexcusable game last night. was embarrassing for his first game with a letter. NOTHING about chris kreider (and I love the guy and the player) says this is a leader. he's not. nor is mika for that matter and he's my favorite player. this leadership group leaves a lot to be desired.

Zucc was terrible. he's got to finish.

Spooner and Namestnikov wow boys get your heads out of your asses. Namestnikov looked like a junior player in his first nhl game. was thrown all over the ice. he's a horrible player we should never have traded for let alone brought back.

I did not like this game for us. I like some parts. I liked Vesey of course how could you not guy was everywhere but he too needs to bury a chance. I liked chytil with fast that's a great duo would love to see panarin next to them.

I thought howden looked good and lettieri was ok. I liked skjei and mcquaid, and of course as I mentioned earlier hank was VERY good. that was a vintage performance by him even though I didn't like the subban goal.

but there were a lot more things I didn't like than what I did like last night.
I actually agree with most of this.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
And McLeod proved himself useful at this in the game two Rangers left with injuries from high hits last season so I can see why it would work now.

If his coach says “go push back” McLeod will. The entire ethos around the Rangers last year was to not do that.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
A lot of people want a silver bullet or a guarantee that a certain direction is going to work. Neither is realistic.

Personally, I believe your odds of building a contender by taking a few steps back is greater than simply trying to trudge on and plug holes. I've detailed this extensively in the past and don't particularly feel like re-posting a thesis paper.

In the Rangers case, I think landing a cornerstone player in this draft, and possibly a few more prospects/picks at the TDL, will be a huge boost to what they already have in place.
I mean...just throwing this out there...

Trade Hayes, zucc, spooner, mcquaid and namestnikov for futures...
Win the draft lotto. Draft Hughes, sign ek65, and panarin this off-season..and go to war with this next year...

Panarin Hughes kravtsov
Kreider zibanejad buchnevich
Lias chytil fasth
Gettinger howden vesey

Skjei ek65
Smith shattenkirk
Hajek DeAngelo
Pionk

Staal bought out

It's not a championship caliber team...but it sure as hell ain't far off.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Win the draft lotto. Draft Hughes, sign ek65, and panarin this off-season..and go to war with this next year...

Panarin Hughes kravtsov
Lias chytil fasth
Gettinger howden vesey

Skjei ek65
Smith shattenkirk
Hajek DeAngelo
Pionk

Staal bought out

Your dedication to spelling it Fasth is admirable.

Reactions: Krams and Inferno

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We have one of the worst defense in NHL at the moment, and it won`t be easy for Henrik this season. And the Canucks is not far behind, but Tanev is great on pk and much better defensive than any of our players at the moment.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Did anybody else see this and can confirm? I missed it and don't see any mention of it in the GDT.

Not sure on all that, but he was definitly shaking his head in the box, I remember thinking "what's his problem?"

Reactions: Krams

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Panarin Hughes kravtsov
Lias chytil fasth
Gettinger howden vesey

Skjei ek65
Smith shattenkirk
Hajek DeAngelo
Pionk

Staal bought out

It's still far off. Counting on all of Chytil, Hughes, Andersson, Kravtsov, Holden to be contributors is unlikely. Defense is interesting, but again, counting on another rookie in Hajek. And would it even be under the cap?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It's still far off. Counting on all of Chytil, Hughes, Andersson, Kravtsov, Holden to be contributors is unlikely. Defense is interesting, but again, counting on another rookie in Hajek. And would it even be under the cap?
Eh maybe...but it's definitely on the right path

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I think Quinn needs to calm down a little, he's yelling and screaming until his voice shuts down, it's day and night compared to AV. Players don't like it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think Quinn needs to calm down a little, he's yelling and screaming until his voice shuts down, it's day and night compared to AV. Players don't like it.
Yes, all the positive statements from the players to the media and the overall excitement around the team seem to back this up.

You realize a coach can be meaner and more of a butt-hole to his players quietly than by yelling, right? Just because the coach is yelling doesn't mean he's being an ass and just because he's speaking calmly doesn't mean he's being nice.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Just finished watching the game, couple of thoughts...

For one, Nashville is obviously the more talented team and they're a veteran team with an established system they're all used to playing, along with one of the best defenses in the league. Yes they had the edge in overall play, but the Rangers were in it all game and had plenty of chances to tie or take the lead at times. They were noticeably harder to play against in their own end, defending the slot much better and getting in the way of more shots.

Their transition game needs work, though again playing Nashville is a tough start to the season. But if they're going to chip and chase, they need to do a bit better job. The D need to not force passes into the neutral zone when a guy is covered by several opposing players. This happened a lot, a few times led to some odd man rushes.

Rangers offense worked best when it was able to establish the cycle. Not much off the rush and Nashville wasn't giving up much off the rush, but this is probably going to be a theme in general for the Rangers...they are transitioning to a cycle team to some extent but they need to be able to get the puck down the ice and control it in the offensive zone, that's gonna take some more work.

The D work on the offensive blueline was not very good a lot of the time. Staal and Pionk especially struggled IMO and their positioning without the puck wasn't very good. Worst pair IMO. Skjei was probably the best individual D, I think he had a good game in general. McQuaid was fine...I'm sure that pair got destroyed on shot attempts though. Shattenkirk Smith was kind of what I expected. Good until they had a stupid breakdown.

I'd keep the lines as is. They all struggled at times and all had good shifts at times.

The ice looked terrible but Zibanejad needs to be more careful with the puck when he's trying to stick handle and stuff, he lost it several times unforced because it just slipped away from him. I'd like to see that line do better but they were going to be taking the hard assignments against a good defense so I'm not complaining too much. I thought Buch was good, he worked the puck very well. Don't agree with criticisms of his game, he did the same stuff he did in preseason. Would like to see more from Kreider but without a good transition game his speed wasn't as useful.

I liked Chytil, great assist, just needs more playing time as the games go on. Quinn still seemed to reduce his icetime near the end of the game.

Vesey had a pretty good game offensively so I'll give him that, but he always just somehow shanks a shot or pass and you're like "dude you're 90% of the way there just don't screw it up!"

Good game by Lundqvist.

Don't see the point in saying "they were only in it because of Lundqvist!" when the number of hard saves he had to make probably wasn't particularly more than Rinne had to make, at least early.

It's a decent first game against one of the best teams in the NHL and displayed some of the areas the Rangers are improving on, but showing other areas they need to keep improving. I think we'll see a lot of games like this where they're in but lose because their overall talent just isn't quite high enough.

Not a fan of the reffing. It's tough to see an uncalled high stick lead directly to a goal against. Lots of stickwork was being allowed, lots of Rangers taken down with no calls, refs seemed like they didn't want to call penalties because it was a nationally broadcast game.

I'd sit Staal-Pionk and put in Claesson-DeAngelo for the next game

e: overall nice game by Howden too. Started just kind of out there, not doing anything bad, but made some real nice plays as the game went along

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
But a lot of it is positive reinforcement. It gets old quickly if it's just angry noise like Torts, but that's not the approach Quinn is taking.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Was saying all offseason we should trade Names. Now he'll just be a healthy scratch and we'll be lucky to get a 6th.
Why did Jeff Gorton pay him over 4 mil $ this summer? Did he vanish in the training camp? Did Nam play hockey at all in Tampa, and why did the experience NHL Tampa coach use him on their top lines with Stamkos?

Have you ever consider that maybe Quinn is clueless? I don`t know how to say it or word it, but he lost his first NHL game in MSG..
And if a player of Nam experience notice such things - personally I would not care less if I was sent to the box or playing on a 4th line here in NY - it`s like night/day from Nam perspective - I thought to help you with the thought process.

My point is Gorton or the New York coach can`t afford to use a player this way - he is not a 4th line talented player, and more likely the player is upset based on my reasoning in this post.

Anyway I need a sub, have a good evening! :)

And Nam is upset on how he has been used - no doubts about it, and he could care less what the return is when the Rangers trying going that route.

Last edited:

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
But a lot of it is positive reinforcement. It gets old quickly if it's just angry noise like Torts, but that's not the approach Quinn is taking.
yeah, on the clip where the bench is mic'd up, Quinn is very clear, lots of positive feedback, and also requests for corrections to their play (like the blind wrap's). As a player, i would think that is valuable feedback. I do wonder if his voice will hold up though, it sounded shaky at times, hehe.

When it turns into ranting (ala Torts) is when it becomes problematic (but hopefully he wont go there).

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
I'll move on from this discussion, but I think your reasoning doesn't make much sense and goes back to the AV era that we just saw years of.

I don't care who played the best in one individual game. Play your best players the most, and in situations where you need goals. AV would've told us that he needed to play less than the best players because some others were having a good game. Why do most teams that have success play their best players way more than AV did? Besides, scoring a goal isn't such a terrible game for a forward.
The problem is that you just mentioned the AV system. You are saying Buch is one of our best players, yes? I mean your bias — regardless of what is said — is clearly seen through your moniker.
If Buch is NOT playing his best game, you are going to reward him based off his merit as *potentially* being top 6?
Quinn is going to go off a sample size. That is all he has to go off of. He has practice, preseason, and game 1. That’s it. So perhaps - up to that moment - Buch didn’t deserve to be out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad