GDT: #1 - 10/04/18 | predators @ RANGERS | 7:30 - MSG, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Landed in London this morning, and in 5 hours I fly back to the Netherlands to visit friends. I will be in my home country for the start of the Rangers season! That is weird.

Reactions: will1066

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Vesey in 2nd and Vlad in 4th line?
2 defensive wings with Chytil...
Very interesting season starting.
LGR

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Ready for the Staal/Vesey bashing to begin. Okay, it already has.

Interesting stat:

Every year Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman keeps track of a stat: how many teams that are four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 – that’s less than a month from the beginning of the season, remember – find a way to make playoffs.
It ain’t many.
Last year only the Minnesota Wild managed the feat, with just seven of the 54 teams in that situation getting the job done since 2005-06 (excluding the lockout season, obviously). Isn’t that insane? We’re talking Nov. 1, when teams have played as little as a dozen of 82 games.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ready for the Staal/Vesey bashing to begin. Okay, it already has.

Interesting stat:

Every year Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman keeps track of a stat: how many teams that are four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 – that’s less than a month from the beginning of the season, remember – find a way to make playoffs.
It ain’t many.
Last year only the Minnesota Wild managed the feat, with just seven of the 54 teams in that situation getting the job done since 2005-06 (excluding the lockout season, obviously). Isn’t that insane? We’re talking Nov. 1, when teams have played as little as a dozen of 82 games.

I recon that it is, but OTOH, how many teams are 4 pts out by Nov 1 given how even the league is and the amount of 3 pts game we see? Its not 14 per year of course.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Love that Quinn quote in the OP. We got absolutely run out of the building on many occasions last season. Run a tight ship. Make players accountable without punishing rookie mistakes. We're going to be in more close games than we were last season. We may not win many of them with this roster, but close, competitive games build character.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think a good part of the reason that AV is no longer our coach is his man on man defensive system. This team wasn't capable of doing that anymore and they were bleeding chances every game and he was too stubborn to change. Quinn implementing a zone style should cut down on those chances though it might take a couple weeks for the tangible results to start showing. Keeping the goals down can help you stay in games even if your offense isn't very good.

Anyway I expect I'm going to miss today's game and maybe the next two. We're in San Francisco visiting my daughter and going to Alcatraz today. Tomorrow we'll be Monterrey and flying back on Sunday there's pretty much no chance I'm going to see the Carolina game. C'est la vie. Hopefully we win today though and get off to a good start. Nashville isn't unbeatable by any stretch. Bonus points go to anyone that clocks Forsberg.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Quinn mentioned that he doesn't believe they have a true 4th line. I would agree as long as McLeod isn't playing. Howden and Lettieri, to me, aren't 4th line players. So it would seem, the Rangers have a 1st line, and (3) 3rd lines

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Not expecting much this season. Hoping to see the kids develop into big time core pieces is all.

Opening night is still exciting as heck. I’m hoping to see Smith and Mcquaid injure Forsberg and The other clown (Evelin I think) that cheap shorted our two boys last year. That’s all I need to see that the culture around here has changed

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Who the hell even knows what the 2018-19 NY Rangers are going to be. New coach, new players, new system... etc etc etc. All I know is that 10 years ago the Rangers sent this lineup out there on Opening Night...

Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev
Dubinsky - Drury - Dawes
Prucha - Korpikoski - Callahan
Voros - Betts - Orr

Redden - Rozsival
Girardi - Staal
Kalinin - Mara

Lundqvist

...and preceded to make the playoffs and come within a few minutes of eliminating the 108 point Capitals.

Again. Who knows? LGR.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Hanks quote makes me a little nervous. I thought he played pretty well for what he had in front of him at times last year. The defense not being great, him a year older at 37 now, and trying to play deep in his net sounds like a recipe for disaster.

We'll see.
Exactly what I got out of it. Going back to what he was used to (deep) sounds like he and Benoit have come to the conclusion that Hank has slowed down to the point where he "has to" play deep and affording extra time for saves and a.......wait for it.....conceding to a questionable defensive corps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad