Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 3, Avs win Series 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Agree with the comment above that 55 didn't look great yesterday. I thought it was Connor's best game, though.

As for Helle continuously analysing every goal and asking which one was his fault is missing the point. Playoff goalies make saves they shouldn't. They steal games. Helle just...doesn't. Especially when things go off the rails he just seems to fold.

Overall though to beat a team with that much talent you need to be disciplined as hell with your team play and the cracks that started showing after the ASB were never fully repaired.

The amount of odd man rushes we gave up against Colorado wasn't an anomaly. We were all complaining about it for months

To be fair, if he does everyone on here downplays it.

He was the sole reason they won the Edmonton series, but everyone talks about the Jets (and Pionk) getting in McDavids face and outplaying them when it looked similar to this series but Helle was amazing and Smith was not.

He made the point of imagine Barron outplaying McDavid that often.

He got outplayed, so did the Jets. I'd rather the 18 skaters in front of the goalie be the better team consistently and not rely on the more volatile positio, but hey if hes generally good too awesome.

Gordon112358

Nov 1, 2022
I attended last night's game and had a fantastic time. The atmosphere was amazing. I had not been to a playoff game since 2018 so really enjoyed the buildup and the fans were incredibly loud and supportive.
At the end of the day this team just couldn't rise to another level against a team that was won before and presumably hungry after a first round exit last year against the Kraken.
As far as changes go I am not sure what to think:
I don't see this team winning while being saddled with 12 million in payroll for Schmidt and Pionk. Both need to be bought out and we need some D that can move the puck quickly up the ice and make quick decisions.

Our goaltending is unbelievable. We have a Vezina winner and arguably the league's best backup.
I wonder if we could bring in another goal scorer. I think Toffoli needs to go and Monahan I am undecided.

It was a fun year it just didnt' end the way we all had envisioned.

Good times and be well :)

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Well Helle sure fell from grace in this series and the knives are out with good reason I guess. He deserves the criticism but you have to have a real good look at the team in front of him especially the d which had problems all round and where bailed out by Helle in more than a few games this year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's the problem Chevy has he has to overpay to keep/get players to come to a Canadian small market.
I wish Stastny didn't convince Schmidt to come to Winnipeg.
To be fair Schmidt while overpaid was not bad tonight.
Connor was ok but I thought this was Schief's worst game of the series. He was a -2 and -8 overall this series. He should not be on with Pionk who was -3.
The Jets were exposed. It was an easy series for the Av's.
They need to bring in a couple vets with cup experience to show them the way!
as long as those vets have speed. After all they brought in Toffoli and that did not help.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
There were definitely more problems than just Helly but how many times over the years have we seen goalies with way less of a pedigree than Helly absolutely steal a series or 2 all by themselves? Helly didn't even steal 1 game in this series and that's the part that's so frustrating. Woll stood on his head last night for Toronto and won them a game and Helly can't ? Just not acceptable to me.
Yup. He's quickly getting the rep as a playoff choke artist. I was so pumped for this team and really thought a deep run was going to happen. How an entire team can shit the bed so completely is truly mindboggling. To get caved in night after night with no answer...... Im speechless. Nice of them to completely vindicate that anonymous player with a truly nuttless performance. FRAUDS.

Reactions: JetsUK and rkp

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I dont think the jets need to make any more trades at TDL to go all in, unless its to get rid of someone......

Reactions: sipowicz

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I hope Miller sticks around. He's a solid 5/6 RH shot D... but realistically why would he? Got benched for most of his time here in lieu of Logan freaking Stanley

Yep.

Don't get that one at all. You paid to bring him in, and he's exactly the asset that was and is required. So you Hayes him all the way to oblivion and when he finally gets the elimination game -- he's just as useful as you hoped he'd be.

So much of the pre-series analysis focused on the Jets' thin margin for error, in deployment and tactics especially. Play your best players in the best positions and outwork and outdefend the Avs.

None of that really happened, until it was too late, and we got smoked. I will never understand this org's loyalty to fringe players at key moments. But we go into another draft without a 1st and change, we expect Arniel in as the Annointed One, Pionk's staying put in the top 4, Dillon and maybe DD walk, and Chevy sticks for infinity. No team in the league runs it back like the Jets.

And yet, it was a helluva regular season for the most part, and tomorrow is another day. Have a fine offseason folks, and enjoy the big sky summer. Not sure I have the wherewithal to follow hockey next year with the time diff etc but looking forward to what I hope will be a good offseason and wish you all the best going forward.

Sláinte!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Whatever you think of Gawanke, now it's Heinola and Perfetti getting the same treatment. Bad prospects again?

And just as easy as it is to claim that, it is equally easy to do the opposite. The veteran is always the safe bet over the guy who never even got the shot, because you've seen one do it and not the other. The problem is that the team hasn't achieved anything since 2018, and we still don't give the opportunities out to prospects that could replace our Pionks and Stanleys.

Too many people here want to be right more than they want the team to win. Are you one of them?

(to be fair to you, at least you acknowledge the fact that it goes both ways, as opposed to those "fans" who immediately default to attributing a prospect not making it to the team to "the prospect's lack of mental fortitude" or whatever shit they come up with.)
I think that Heinola was slated to be in the line up this year and that he had a bad break (literally). He'll be a regular next season. In the past, he hasn't shown enough at the NHL level to cement his spot

As for Perfetti, I think it was a similar but different situation. He was playing top 6 until he went on a cold spell, and chevy was backed into a bit of a corner. He could continue riding the line up he had with a huge production gap at 2RW, or he could make a move to try to plug that hole. He chose the latter

Hindsight says that maybe the org should have given Cole more of a shot, but the move to aquire Toffoli was generally well accepted at the time

So I don't think the org is out to cockblock prospects per se. They're trying to walk a tightrope of being competitive and integrating youth at rhe same time and they haven't always gotten it right

The real test will be how they handle the development of Helle's heir. Could be mlio, could be DD

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
There is no dishonor to losing to the Avelanche.

They were the better team and they didn't have Landeskog or Drouin.

We inflicted no punishment on them, they punished us.

They raised their game we did not.

We wasted a year of Vezina Hellebuyck.

The Jets are my team and I'll keep supporting them.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Well, it's all over. At least the Jets tried this game, but still came up short. Congratulations to the Colorado Avalanche, they outplayed us and deserved to go to the next round. I give this game two Cartman's out of five...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I have tabulated the points from the Prediction Contest and we have a winner, @Bigfish! Congratulations! I have posted the results, so check them out!

I just want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for making this year very successful on HFJets. While the result on the ice wasn't what we wanted, at least we had some fun on the message board! Enjoy the summer and I will see you all at the Draft. Good night...

giphy.gif

Mac, if the Jets could play as well and consistently as you GDT, this series would be headed to game 6, 7 and home to victory.

1714571278363.png

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
There was no chance going the distance with that D core. LB should have started a few games.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Have to admit it, Pionk was definitely one of Colorado's best players this series.
Yes he did have good series for the Avs, and the goal he scored on sieve Helly was a great tip!

No agar or Jet last night, did they switch team loyalties?

Reactions: Cypruss

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yup. He's quickly getting the rep as a playoff choke artist. I was so pumped for this team and really thought a deep run was going to happen. How an entire team can shit the bed so completely is truly mindboggling. To get caved in night after night with no answer...... Im speechless. Nice of them to completely vindicate that anonymous player with a truly nuttless performance. FRAUDS.
I really don't want to just pick on Helly because our defense is crap beyond Morrissey , DeMelo , Dillon and Samberg but he's one of the highest paid goalies in the league and i expect him to be better than this playoffs , much better. It seemed like every time we scored , Colorado would score right after and kill off all of our momentum.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
This is why you should follow prospects, they haven't had the ability to disappoint you like this :sarcasm:.

Elias Salomonsson, champion :laugh:.

I don't expect much change, it's Chevy. Maybe Ehlers if he's not re-signing.

Amen.

Salomonster is going to be legit. Have high hopes for the rest of the cream of the crop also.

If I ran the zoo, I look for some turnover net year and integrate some youth.

And I buy out Neal Freakin' Pionk for the luvva god.

If an entire punditsphere speculates for three years running that a player's gotta be injured because the only thing that can possibly explain his shyte play game in and out, despite getting 20+ mins and never being benched ever, is a serious nagging injury -- that player needs to go.

I would honestly contribute to a Neal "Chaos" Pionk Buyout Fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad