GDT: 05/05/13 - WCQF PLAYOFFS Game 3 Chicago @ Minnesota - 2:00 p.m. CDT - NBC/CBC/RDS

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Winning is great. Also great, is in one of the first shifts the closed captioning called one of Kentucky Koivu's teammates "Zenon Konobody".

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
What we need to do is start working the puck into the slot by pushing the Blackhawks around. We've proven we can do that, and they didn't seem to have an answer for that. We need to hammer Crawford high glove side and when/if he starts overcompensating for that, we start exploiting what hole he's leaving open to cover his glove side.

Hit the Hawks hard to get the lead, then hit em harder to extend the lead, and then hit em harder still to go for the juggular. I would love it if we could end up getting under their skin and in their heads like the Senators got into the Canadiens heads last night. If we push the Hawks around hard enough I think we could have a chance to really snap their mental concentration.

651*

Cullen's pass to Zucker on the GW was straight nasty. Play of the year - highlight play of the year - for our team.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Well, most of the hockey diehards quite frankly are in the Northern ends of the state and are either Red Wings fans or Penguins fans. Those that hate everything Detroit or Pittsburgh went with different teams before the Bluejackets existed.

Exactly.

Since you are from Cleveland, you'll know that anyway, but I think a lot of people don't know much about Ohio sports-wise unless they've lived there as it's cut up quite a bit, just like Indiana.

I always thought when Columbus came into the league they should have been "Ohio" instead of "Columbus" since you alienate a ton of people just by having that in their name.

:nod: Oh you are right on. I have many Cleveland friends and family who do not like that the team was Columbus instead of Ohio. There are many Clevelanders who are Penguins fans (some Red Wings but way more Penguins) and won't join in the Columbus love because they just don't feel like they are a part of it. If Cleveland natives feel that way, imagine how southern Ohio feels where hockey is really, really foreign. Yes, big mistake not making it an 'Ohio' team. Not that I don't think Columbus isn't going to do well anyway with the growing popularity but I think it would have been an instant hit had it been named Ohio instead.

I have friends from Columbus who hate Ohio State so much, that they won't root for what would otherwise be their home team.

:laugh: Guess what? I have a friend who graduated from Ohio State and doesn't cheer for Ohio State. :laugh: He pulls for Cleveland State even if he'd have more 'success' pulling for Ohio State.

I agree though. I kinda thought the whole "both recent expansion franchises" thing might have the two rooting for each other, which I was doing, but in the end apparently that wasn't the case.

For me if the Wild blew it, it was on the Wild and Yeo, not on Columbus, just like last year was due to injuries and horrible play down the stretch.

Had this team tanked out I would have pulled for the Bluejackets (as the underdog with a good story) and the Bruins since most of my living family is from Boston and games at the Gahden are amazing.

C'est la vie.

Agreed, and it would have been great to have them in, but they didn't do enough in the end. They've got a great platform now and my guess is even with realignment next year they come out firing. A chip on the shoulder can take you a long way.

Exactly.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'm not sure turtle-ing means what you guys think it means.

AFAIK, "turtling" comes from fighting video games where some players will just hold crouch and block to minimize their vulnerable area, without making any effort whatsoever to attack the other player. Either they intend to wait it out until the other player accidentally leaves themselves glaringly open, or they've got the edge on the healthbar and are trying to run down the timer.

It actually seems to be a pretty apt metaphor for the Wild's bad habits...

I can't say that I've ever heard it used in another context. Did you have something else in mind?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
AFAIK, "turtling" comes from fighting video games where some players will just hold crouch and block to minimize their vulnerable area, without making any effort whatsoever to attack the other player. Either they intend to wait it out until the other player accidentally leaves themselves glaringly open, or they've got the edge on the healthbar and are trying to run down the timer.

It actually seems to be a pretty apt metaphor for the Wild's bad habits...

I can't say that I've ever heard it used in another context. Did you have something else in mind?

That's the exact context I was reading the term from. My friends and I used to play Starcraft and sometimes we would go like 2v5 players vs computers and we would need to turtle up for the early part of the game and just let the computers waste minerals throwing their units at the walls we would put up until we had scaled the tech tree high enough to start taking out the computers one by one.

So, if the Wild followed that strategy, it would be more like them weathering an early onslaught and then going forth and blowing the opposition out of the water. That's actually happened on occasion. But you should never play hockey with the intention of turtling at any point. It needs to be something you can do when needed, like in the last 2-3 minutes of a game you are leading by one goal, or when the opposing team comes out hard by throwing everything including the kitchen sink at you, but it should NEVER be a strategy you employ for 17 minutes straight in a period.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I know I see it through tinted glasses but he said the whole game the Wild were cheating in the faceoff circle and made a comment about someone (Scandella I think) selling that high stick.

It's much easier to be objective as a PBP guy than a color guy I would think.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Ah yeah I remember that cheating the faceoff ****. That was pissing me off because if these linesmen are allowing it, it's not cheating. We're just winning faceoffs better than they are.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I know I see it through tinted glasses but he said the whole game the Wild were cheating in the faceoff circle and made a comment about someone (Scandella I think) selling that high stick.

It's much easier to be objective as a PBP guy than a color guy I would think.

Completely agree. Honestly, my friends that are fans of other Western Conference teams HATE Eddie O doing national games in which Chicago is involved.

He's not as much of a homer as say Mickey Redmond (who became even worse in his old age) but it's pretty bad at times --- though those were local broadcasts.

Yet I'm not surprised at all.

As someone posted a picture before "I WANT TO BELIEVE" but it's tough.

Conspiracies abound.

Last edited:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I hope you guys all enjoy Pitbull, because the GDT for tomorrow's game has PITBULL TO THE MAXIMUM

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
tumblr_lhp70v01E81qb6h4po1_500.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad