GDT: 03/25/2013 | Minnesota Wild @ Dallas Stars | 7:30 PM CST FSN & FSWI

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
So ... we had the absolutely clownish dive by Adam Burish on Saturday followed by this nonsense by Antoine Roussel last night. Neither was penalized; both gained an advantage for their respective team by duping the eminently dup-able refs.

Claude Julien was right ... embellishment is not just a problem in the NHL; it's an embarrassment (he just chose the wrong game to make his point).

As long as (some) players think they can get away with this BS they'll keep doing it. If the refs aren't capable of policing this like they should then maybe it's time for the league office to expand Shanahan's mandate to include embellishment. If Burish got 5 games for embarrassing the league maybe he (and others) would be less inclined to pull these stunts in the future.

What you saw with Burish on Saturday was what you might expect to see in a professional soccer game, and whenever the NHL gets compared to professional soccer ... that's not a good thing.

Agreed so much.

Also, the lack of fan support at the game bothered me too. It just reminded me of how the North Stars left our state that bleeds hockey in favor of a city that has still never embraced the team. There were so many seats empty it was incredible. I have a friend I went to college with that is a Texas native. She said in the pecking order, the Stars are last in line to football, baseball, basketball... she said there is a small, dedicated fanbase but it's tiny. I told her that fanbase was probably former North Star fans!

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
Agreed so much.

Also, the lack of fan support at the game bothered me too. It just reminded me of how the North Stars left our state that bleeds hockey in favor of a city that has still never embraced the team. There were so many seats empty it was incredible. I have a friend I went to college with that is a Texas native. She said in the pecking order, the Stars are last in line to football, baseball, basketball... she said there is a small, dedicated fanbase but it's tiny. I told her that fanbase was probably former North Star fans!

I'm not defending the move, but the North Stars weren't exactly selling out games when they left either. Half empty arena almost every game. We tend to over glorify and exaggerate our state's past "fandom."

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm not defending the move, but the North Stars weren't exactly selling out games when they left either. Half empty arena almost every game. We tend to over glorify and exaggerate our state's past "fandom."

Very true....but lack of fan support wasn't the reason the North Stars moved.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

Current fandom, too.

This is the first year in a long time I would even entertain the idea that the Wild made it up to third in the pro sports pecking order.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012

Exactly. Not related whatsoever.

My point about the Stars is they were taken away from a hockey state (from little pee wees to pros) no matter how you slice it due to a pathetic owner, and then the city that inherited the team doesn't have a clue what they received. I know, I've talked to my Texan friend about this. They were supportive during the Cup win and that was about it... it was "the thing to do." Otherwise, the Stars are pretty much at the end of the sports section in the Dallas papers since no one cares overall.

willt23

Mar 22, 2013
Forgive me for being a little out of date with my knowledge with NHL having only really just bought into the league itself.

Am I right in thinking that Dallas Stars are a team that were moved from Minnesota a few years ago?

For an Englishman, the whole idea of teams being able to move hundreds of miles and re-brand themselves is just too much! haha.

Having watched the game on Gamecentre this afternoon - I was really impressed by the team again. Nice to see Cullen get his 200th goal and join Parise there - also its the first time I'd seen the team score a short-handed goal! Big celebrations!:handclap:

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010

I know, but fan support was the basis of the post I was responding to, and the North Stars had very little of it before they left, so I felt it was a poor comparison to Dallas' current (or past) fan support.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Forgive me for being a little out of date with my knowledge with NHL having only really just bought into the league itself.

Am I right in thinking that Dallas Stars are a team that were moved from Minnesota a few years ago?

For an Englishman, the whole idea of teams being able to move hundreds of miles and re-brand themselves is just too much! haha.

Having watched the game on Gamecentre this afternoon - I was really impressed by the team again. Nice to see Cullen get his 200th goal and join Parise there - also its the first time I'd seen the team score a short-handed goal! Big celebrations!:handclap:

They moved in 1993. And they should have left the logo/jerseys with them. IMO, when you relocate, you should leave behind that stuff.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

The franchise that is currently known as the Dallas Stars was created in Minnesota in 1967 in a wave of expansion by the NHL. They were created as the Minnesota North Stars. Played in Minnesota until 1993 when then owner Norm Green aka Norm Greed fled sexual harassment charges in hopes of making more money in a larger market.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I know, but fan support was the basis of the post I was responding to, and the North Stars had very little of it before they left, so I felt it was a poor comparison to Dallas' current (or past) fan support.

I'm not sure if you are old enough to remember, but it was kind of a wierd dichotomy back then. The North Stars WERE pretty popular in town...but that popularity didn't always translate to the gate. I think many fans took the NHL for granted and were content to watch them on tv rather than spend the money to go to a game...and the thought of them being moved never crossed our minds. At least, not until it was too late.

Regardless, the North Stars could've sold out every game and that wouldn't have changed anything.

NORM GREEN SUCKS!!!!!!! :madfire:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Actually no, you couldn't watch home games on tv anywhere in the NHL back then. Only road games were televised in those days of the NHL. Even worse...all the North Star playoff games were pay-per-view only by that point! In a day when not everyone even had cable yet, and satellite was a HUGE 20' dish!

The poor gate in the last couple seasons were more due to Norm's alienating the fans.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Actually no, you couldn't watch home games on tv anywhere in the NHL back then. Only road games were televised in those days of the NHL. Even worse...all the North Star playoff games were pay-per-view only by that point! In a day when not everyone even had cable yet, and satellite was a HUGE 20' dish!

The poor gate in the last couple seasons were more due to Norm's alienating the fans.

I used to watch their home games on Spectrum...which was cable before there was cable.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I used to watch their home games on Spectrum...which was cable before there was cable.

Never heard of spectrum lol...ok so very few could watch home games on tv...everyone could watch road games. They were on channel 9 when on the road. Hockey was on free over the air tv for road games.

Either way, fans stayed away because Norm alienated fans not because they watched on tv. ;)

Look at attendance pre-Norm and they were pretty damn good numbers considering building size.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Never heard of spectrum lol...ok so very few could watch home games on tv...everyone could watch road games. They were on channel 9 when on the road. Hockey was on free over the air tv for road games.

Either way, fans stayed away because Norm alienated fans not because they watched on tv. ;)

Look at attendance pre-Norm and they were pretty damn good numbers considering building size.
They had some horrid attendance at times pre Norm also. Attendance for the North Stars was very dependant on the product. Norm was a ****** but any owner would have been in the same boat, Met Center was outdated and the location was a hindrance at the time. People forget that there was nothing around it for years until the MofA was built. Norm was dead set on a new building next to MofA and wouldn't even entertain the thought of playing at Target which is what the stadium commission wrongly assumed would happen when Target Center was built.

It may have been painful getting to where the NHL team is now but in the end Minnesotas NHL franchise ended up exactly where they belonged in downtown St Paul.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Thank you, i was beating my head trying to remember what that craptastic system was called. Spectrum, good lord. If you wanted to watch the North Stars or Twins you had to purchase that crap. I remember when my mom got it so i could watch the games people were all making fun of the thought of a satellite dish hanging on the side of a house. LMAO remembering that.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

yeah, Spectrum was the local pay television before cable came to town. In addition to watching North Stars, we could also watch movies and even some skin flicks late at night!! :naughty:

Great stuff for a young teen like myself!!

They had some horrid attendance at times pre Norm also. Attendance for the North Stars was very dependant on the product. Norm was a ****** but any owner would have been in the same boat, Met Center was outdated and the location was a hindrance at the time. People forget that there was nothing around it for years until the MofA was built. Norm was dead set on a new building next to MofA and wouldn't even entertain the thought of playing at Target which is what the stadium commission wrongly assumed would happen when Target Center was built.

It was outdated, for sure...I think they did add some suites, but there weren't enough of them...but it was a GREAT bldg to watch hockey. Great sightlines all around.

I really miss that place. Also saw alot of concerts there as a teenager.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

It may have been painful getting to where the NHL team is now but in the end Minnesotas NHL franchise ended up exactly where they belonged in downtown St Paul.

It was BEYOND obvious when Norm said no to playing in the Target Center for what was ultimately cheaper lease for the team than they were paying to play at the Met Center, that he was dead set on the team moving.

Btw, I still say to this day...everyone who was ever in charge of the North Stars looked at the hockey Heritage incorrectly, they considered all other forms of hockey in the state as competition. The Wild on the other hand, have embraced it from day one. I think that is the single largest impact on fans between the two franchises.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Well Norm did say that only an idiot would lose money on hockey in Minnesota.

Proved himself right, he did.

Dallas is, and always will be, a walking zombie of a franchise. They need to relocate and/or rebrand. Preferably both.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Psst, the discussion above is relevant to the Dallas Stars, not the Phoenix Coyotes...

Psst.. Your right, sorry for the interruption, proceed.

I remember as a kid and when we played street hockey / outdoor hockey.. I often wanted to be Kari Takko (or Hannu Kamppuri). But didn't know anything about NHL back then. Of course the North Stars logo was familiar but not much more. That time NHL was same as Jari Kurri for me. We mostly watched World Champions with a family and friends. NHL was something strange across the sea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad