GDT: #03 – Blue Jackets at Sabres – Mon Oct 12, 3:00PM ET – MSG-B, Bell TV

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So…and you point is? That's beside the point. I was responding to someone was saying that the fact that we looked good and won this game means that we'll see more of McCabe and less of Franson. I don't see how this game proved that when Franson played so much more than McCabe and we won. I believe Franson had more TOI in this game than the other two, so I don't see how this game proved much in that regard. If anything, it proved the opposite.

The point is you're making an argument based on nothing. The difference in ice time was due to a ton of PPs and McCabe leaving for a bit due to injury. It had nothing at all to do with their respective play.

At ES, where the strong defensive play would matter, McCabe played very well. He also meshed quite well with Pysyk. If they keep that up they will eventually get more ice time than the sheltered minutes they got today. Which will obviously lead to less ice time for others, Franson being a likely candidate to get less ES and PK time if that occurred.

You need to analyze things beyond just total ice time.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
That was a fun one. I'm liking being a new Sabres fan ... ordered my Sabres-specific GCL package so you know I'm on board!

Eichel is a real treat to watch. His skating looks so effortless and I love how he can change gears. Also his ability to hang on to the puck ... awesome.

What ROR did today is more typical of what he can bring night in and night out. I wasn't at all surprised by his slow start; as he gels with his linemates you'll start to notice him more. And of course his high hockey IQ makes him a defensive and neutral zone contributor.

He does look a little slower to start the season and his defensive positioning/stick-work hasn't been as on point or tenacious as it can/will be. He's gonna get better as the season goes on, obviously.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Ristolainen played 25 minutes. :amazed: Did he look gassed in the end?

Eihel really is looking great. One of the posters on this forum who's opinion I really trust said on Facebook that he expects Eichel to finish with better rookie year than McDavid and is looking forward for him to becoming better than McDavid. No, he's not a Sabres fan.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
What do you guys think of Kane? Haven't caught a full Sabres game yet.

Surprisingly hard worker, great on the forecheck, love his effort. Has decent 1-on-1 puck skills though I'm not totally comfortable yet seeing him try to go through guys. (Although, from what I've seen so far, it's worked for him.)

So he's got a lot of individual skill and clearly has the work ethic, but the hockey IQ isn't really there. It's like he's wearing blinders and all he can see is straight ahead: go straight at the net and shoot.

And it's understandable why: he has the skill and the drive to create his own chances. But at this level it's just ... not the most effective way to play the game. At the same time, it's a testament to his ability that he can play like that.

He'd be so much more dangerous if he learned when to use that individual skill and when/how to use his teammates. Probably won't happen at this stage of his career, though, so it'd be best to pair him with a playmaker and net presence type guy.

Disclaimer: Just IMO, and admittedly based on a small sample size.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Moulson played good in limited time. We need him to score a lot more then he did last year. I think he puts up 25 this year. I like him with RoR.

And I love Eichel. Even without reinhart, the last two seasons were well worth it just for him. Coyote fans must be sick watching Eichel.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm sure it's been posted in here already, but I was wondering if anyone has a video clip of the Eichel goal starting from the attempted pass to (I think) McGinn that Moulson broke up.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
works his ass off, kinda guy that goes through a wall to make a play, wondering if he might need glasses or maybe he is colorblind because he will not make a pass

+
His effort is off the chart
Not afraid to get physical

-
He is a blackhole
He always seems to be the last guy on his line to make an on-the-fly change

I really like his game so far.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
What do you guys think of Kane? Haven't caught a full Sabres game yet.

His work ethic is second to none. Well maybe O'Reilly. He finishes his checks. He stays in on the puck and he goes full speed in all sides of his game. He's not lazy and so far he seems to be making a positive impression on the younger players. He fits so well with Eichel going forward. I've always been a fan.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Right after I say just the other day that Moulson looks lost in translation he plays his tail off and is in the right place for a slice in. He looked like he did with Johnny T today. Okay, well played there Sir!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Right after I say just the other day that Moulson looks lost in translation he plays his tail off and is in the right place for a slice in. He looked like he did with Johnny T today. Okay, well played there Sir!

Same here man, same here. Let's starting doubting everyone...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not sure about waiving Cola just yet, but I liked McCabe in the 2nd and 3rd. I still haven't gotten to watch the first period and probably won't until tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad