Post-Game Talk: 02/17/2013 | Washington Capitals @ New York Rangers

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Montreal might not have Price in net tomorrow night, he's had the flu and didn't play Saturday night, and is not playing tonight as well (home game). As well one of their top rookies (Gallagher) will not play, since he got a concussion on a somewhat questionable hit from Luke Schenn. Rangers must win tomorrow night.

Watch out for Prust. He will be throwing his weight around show SAther what he lost.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This team plays a flawless game and this board whines about the coach not playing the guy with 1 goal. Makes sense.

Flawless? Seriously? Did you even watch the game? We won, yes. We scored a PP goal, **** yeah!!! but flawless? Hardly...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Flawless? Seriously? Did you even watch the game? We won, yes. We scored a PP goal, **** yeah!!! but flawless? Hardly...

Nah, I don't know. Not in the context of how the NHL is looking nowadays atleast (all teams are more or less flawed).

The PP is a big problem. It of course depends on what competition we face in the PO's, but if we play like Pittsburg/Boston/Chi firing on all cylindars we won't win with a extremely struggling PP. And we could be upset too.

But besides the PP, we are winning games we should win. I mean, that itself is a big thing. Last season we maybe won 15 games we "should" win, then a big portions of our wins came either from games that could go either way or we had no business winning. This is a start for sure.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Hagelin is three years away from group III. Darren Helm signed a four year extension last summer worth $8.5M. Two arb years. Two group III years. $1.75M per the first 2 years. $2.5M per in the last 2 years which are group III. $2.125M AAV. Boyle got $5.1M for 3 years after his 20 goal season being arb eligible. The 3rd year is group III. Hagelin had 14 goals in 64 games last season. He has 6 in 14 so far. On pace for 21. Helm is a fair comparable for Hagelin. The Helm deal would be a good deal for the Rangers. Maybe a little less because a 4 year for Hagelin covers 1 year of group III but Hagelin does have better offensive numbers than Helm. Hagelin is playing with offensive players while Helm wasn't but that's not Hagelin's problem.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hagelin is three years away from group III. Darren Helm signed a four year extension last summer worth $8.5M. Two arb years. Two group III years. $1.75M per the first 2 years. $2.5M per in the last 2 years which are group III. $2.125M AAV. Boyle got $5.1M for 3 years after his 20 goal season being arb eligible. The 3rd year is group III. Hagelin had 14 goals in 64 games last season. He has 6 in 14 so far. On pace for 21. Helm is a fair comparable for Hagelin. The Helm deal would be a good deal for the Rangers. Maybe a little less because a 4 year for Hagelin covers 1 year of group III but Hagelin does have better offensive numbers than Helm. Hagelin is playing with offensive players while Helm wasn't but that's not Hagelin's problem.

I have no problem paying Hagelin his money, I just hope he continues his strong play and continues to improve. The Nash/Hagelin combination seems to be a very good one. They compliment eachother very well.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

good comparison,that seems like a fair deal............I know this may have nothing to do with the RFA's signing but it just makes sense to me if they deal Boyle next yr for some picks, prospects

It just seems that roster spots are set and more prospects are on the way.........Richards, Stepan, Miller, X , Nash, Hagelin, Kreider, Powe, Gaborik, Callahan, Pyatt, Asham............the X is for one spot avail, Boyle is there now........there will always be guys like Halpern they could sign as cheap 4th line options.....I expect bigger roles from Miller and Kreider next yr...........also Lindberg may be able to make it not to mention Fast, Palmieri, Ferrerio,Hrivik ,etc ,etc as call up options

I just think it makes sense to save on the cap to sign the RFA's............this year I say keep Boyle cause you cant count on Miller, Kreider in the playoffs BUT one or both may earn the time still

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA

Do you watch any other NHL games? That was as good a game as you'll get from teams these days. Holtby stood on his head, otherwise it'd have been 3 or 4 to 1 after the first period.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Do you watch any other NHL games? That was as good a game as you'll get from teams these days. Holtby stood on his head, otherwise it'd have been 3 or 4 to 1 after the first period.

I think some people expect us to give up 1 scoring chance a game while winning 3-0 every night. If only the other teams didn't also have NHL players on them. lol

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Playing consistently from shift to shift happens whether you pick up 30 shifts in a game or 5. I'll grant you the ankle injury, but beyond that... I'm on Torts' side here.

me too. i'm quite prepared to let the professionals make these calls... not that coaches don't make mistakes...but to imply the coach doesn't *get* what a it takes to motivate and develop a particular player is just silly.
of course the coach may fail, but for a fan to pretend to know better how to develop krieder or miller, is just a silly premise.
i'd bet that, with some players, there's absolutely nothing a coach can do. some need a kick in the ass. some need to learn from mistakes. some need tons of guidance. it's way too complex for someone on the outside to give an authoritative judgment.
i'm not saying it's worthless to discuss these things...just that it's silly and kinda ignorant for someone on the outside to say 'the coach is dumb' or whatever.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
The way Boyle has been playing since being back shows that playing him over Kreider was the right decision at this time. However, I can see Kreider being back if Powe is out, and hopefully he's been strengthed by the time off and is know ready to continue where he ended last season.

Hagelin continue to impress and improve. The funny thing bout Hagelin is that he always make his lines mates better, it seems like whichever line he's put on, it benefits from the addition of him.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Hagelin continue to impress and improve. The funny thing bout Hagelin is that he always make his lines mates better, it seems like whichever line he's put on, it benefits from the addition of him.

Hags is a lifer... Always brings his game to play. He makes guys better with what he's got.

Indeed, I've been saying this about him since January 2012.

I'm actually contemplating whether splitting up him and Nash would do us good despite their chemistry.

Nash has also been able to bring life to whatever line he plays on, and it may be counterproductive to play them on the same line. Put Hags back with Richie and Gabby and try Callahan with Stepan and Nash.

Callahan usually doesn't work with Stepan, so moving Kreider or Miller to that line could be necessary if it doesn't work.

BTW, Callahan is quietly putting together a terrible season by his standards. While he had a great shift at the end of the game he has been consistently invisible all year, and his lack of scoring cannot be explained by abnormally low percentages. He needs to take a look at himself and remember how he used to play to be successful, because this is getting alarming.

An example: Callahan (28.7/60) and Gaborik (28.4/60) are similarly bad at generating offence at ES, out of the forwards getting 10+ mins a night at ES only Boyle (24.5/60) is worse. They are getting similar on ice shooting percentages (Cally: 8.45, Gabby: 8.93). Yet Gaborik is scoring at 2.23P/60 while Cally is only getting 0.88P/60.

And this can't be explained away by individual shooting % either. Gabby sits right around his career avg with 13.7 while Cally is right around his at 10.0.

EDIT: I forgot to account for quality of competition and teammates. Cally has been getting slightly difficult minutes with pretty terrible linemates. Gabby has been playing extremely soft minutes. However, Nash and especially Hagelin has been playing even harder minutes than Callahan and are blowing him out of the water. Stepan, playing the hardest minutes of all has been better as well.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
That power play where they scored was so beautiful, so perfect that I had to leave the living room so my pops didn't think I was a pervert.

That's what I want more: quick decisiveness with the puck which leads to tic-tac-toe plays. Don't corral the puck, just let it rip.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Indeed, I've been saying this about him since January 2012.

I'm actually contemplating whether splitting up him and Nash would do us good despite their chemistry.

Nash has also been able to bring life to whatever line he plays on, and it may be counterproductive to play them on the same line. Put Hags back with Richie and Gabby and try Callahan with Stepan and Nash.

Callahan usually doesn't work with Stepan, so moving Kreider or Miller to that line could be necessary if it doesn't work.

BTW, Callahan is quietly putting together a terrible season by his standards. While he had a great shift at the end of the game he has been consistently invisible all year, and his lack of scoring cannot be explained by abnormally low percentages. He needs to take a look at himself and remember how he used to play to be successful, because this is getting alarming.

An example: Callahan (28.7/60) and Gaborik (28.4/60) are similarly bad at generating offence at ES, out of the forwards getting 10+ mins a night at ES only Boyle (24.5/60) is worse. They are getting similar on ice shooting percentages (Cally: 8.45, Gabby: 8.93). Yet Gaborik is scoring at 2.23P/60 while Cally is only getting 0.88P/60.

And this can't be explained away by individual shooting % either. Gabby sits right around his career avg with 13.7 while Cally is right around his at 10.0.

EDIT: I forgot to account for quality of competition and teammates. Cally has been getting slightly difficult minutes with pretty terrible linemates. Gabby has been playing extremely soft minutes. However, Nash and especially Hagelin has been playing even harder minutes than Callahan and are blowing him out of the water. Stepan, playing the hardest minutes of all has been better as well.

Callahan hasn't found a line to play on. Stepan was awful with him, and now that he's with Richards, well Richards has been a little ******.

I'm really not worried about Cally. The pucks aren't going in right now, and the fact that his linemates aren't scoring (Gabby whiffed on the most empty net of all time) are killing his point totals.

In the next week or two, he'll find a Hagelin-like streak, or maybe remember some of the chemistry he had with Richie.

In the mean time, he's still forechecking, getting chances, all the things that make him Cally. Top of that, I don't think we've surrendered a goal on the penalty kill since he got back.

Like I said, not worried.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Cally has been playing great since he came back from injury. He needs to score more but he's been doing literally everything else very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad