Blue Jays Discussion: 0.5 Back <------- that's cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
2 weeks means nothing if we miss the playoffs. We need to prove as a team that it's worth staying. We are off to a good start, but we're on a huge high right now. If we stumble on a "low" miss the playoffs, he could very well just leave.

It's too early to make assumptions at this point. We do have an attractive city when it comes to luring athleties to a certain quality of life.

And the big plus, he misses the winter. From November to March he can train in warm weather.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
So how often is it brought up besides in a forum setting? For example in hockey you can pull the tender and then send him back out later. Tell you the truth I can't remember at the moment if you can switch goalies to start the shootout. Guess I bandwagon hockey too.

Curtis Joesph replaced vesa toskala in a 2009 game vs ducks cuz toskala was historically bad in the shootout and Joesph was historically good in it, but it back fired as the leafs lost and Joesph allowed all 3 shooters to score. note that toskala was having an amazing game that day, and when i mean historically, i mean like 4 years tbh. :laugh:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I wonder if we could see a Talyor Cole promotion to AAA when rosters expand in september. With one of Francis or Copeland coming up to serve as a traditional long man. Mediocre 4.22 fip but he's maintained a quality k/9, bb/9 throughout his minor league campaign. Could be nothing more than an innings eater with a great changeup. Just someone to keep an eye on if not for this year, than next year with Buffalo's primarily veteran laden rotation likely moving on.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I think so too. He really has embraced the city and the team. Top class player and a great, great teammate. Price is amazing.

If we are willing to pay, I wouldn't be surprised if he's back next season. I'm hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst when Price hits free agency.

just pay the guy. You bring him back and you have excitement extending into next year. If this team is kept together into next year you could smash attendance records which will in turn easily pay for the blank cheque you hand to Price. Everyone thinks we can't afford Price....we need to show the baseball world we are here to stay and we want to win a World Series.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
just pay the guy. You bring him back and you have excitement extending into next year. If this team is kept together into next year you could smash attendance records which will in turn easily pay for the blank cheque you hand to Price. Everyone thinks we can't afford Price....we need to show the baseball world we are here to stay and we want to win a World Series.

Just look at the RC since we got him. Hell, look at this thread :laugh: Our sales/attendance more than make up for it. Then playoff revenue. This is why I disagree we gave up future because we can buy our future now.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Who cares. They likely won't beat us in the playoffs.

it could go either way. the jays by far have the best bats in the league ainec, but offense doesn't win games important in the post season, pitching and defense does. kc has a better pitching staff all year long but that was before price came along and the jays don't need 5 starters in the rotation come playoffs so hutch can pitch in the bullpen

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
it could go either way. the jays by far have the best bats in the league ainec, but offense doesn't win games important in the post season, pitching and defense does. kc has a better pitching staff all year long but that was before price came along and the jays don't need 5 starters in the rotation come playoffs so hutch can pitch in the bullpen

Our defence is top notch and a rotation that excludes Hutch is very good. Our bullpen is suddenly one of the best. Then quite easily the best offensive team. I just can't see KC beating us.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

easier said then done. david price is a big ticket pitcher with a pedigree like max scherzer and zach greinke and he would prefer to go free agency to get the big bucks, so he's gonna get the money he deserves from another team most likely

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
KC plays in a crappy division as well so they will have no problem racking up wins. We aren't catching them....but I like our chances against them even without home field advantage.

I'm on this train, as well, especially when you consider Price will likely take the bump three times if it went seven - or at least be available for Game 7.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
easier said then done. david price is a big ticket pitcher with a pedigree like max scherzer and zach greinke and he would prefer to go free agency to get the big bucks, so he's gonna get the money he deserves from another team most likely

why can't we be that team? Toronto is a big market...and with Price/Stroman leading the rotation we should make the playoffs the next few seasons. I don't understand why we can't be that team....what am I missing here?? We should be able to compete with the big boys....This is not a small market...or even a middle market where that excuse might work.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005

I am not sure money is the issue. If it was, AA could just say "give me a number" and lock him up now. But if Toronto offers, say, 35 million, and the Yankees and Dodgers do the same, where would you rather be as a professional athlete, probably on your last significant contract?

Price wants to control where he plays. Money won't be the motivating factor, I don't think. That place could still be Toronto, but I honestly don't think he is choosing a place based solely on $$$$.....

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

But we could give him big bucks. If we offer 7 years, 220 mill like he'll likely get in FA, he'd resign. But we'd have to pay a substantial amount to keep him.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
It's pretty amazing that there is even a discussion about a possible WS match up that includes the Blue Jays given what the team looked like roster-wise and in the standings just a few short weeks ago. crazy.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
It's pretty amazing that there is even a discussion about a possible WS match up that includes the Blue Jays given what the team looked like roster-wise and in the standings just a few short weeks ago. crazy.

Adding a top tier SS (and getting rid of Reyes and his "defence") and a top tier pitch is a huge bonus. Plus Sanchez, Hawkins and Lowe to our bullpen.. Just crazy at how much we improved in a matter of days.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

what is easier said that done? You can't counter someone saying "just pay the guy" his market value with "he'll leave to get the big bucks".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad