Blue Jays Discussion: 0.5 Back <------- that's cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
We're still trying to figure out how 'games back' work? :laugh:

I was too young during the early 90's to remember the hype, but this is really special... It's a great time to be a Torontonian.. The amount of people reading the baseball section of the paper, the amount of Jays conversation going on in the trains, or even the jerseys and shirts everywhere... It's really cool to experience and just feel the buzz in the city right now.

Seriously? People are having trouble with games behind? Just wait until we're into magic numbers... :popcorn:

Games behind is easy:

Every win a team is ahead or behind = half a game.

Every loss a team is ahead or behind = half a game.

Right now the Jays have one more win than the Yankees, but two more losses. That means: +.5 (win) games - .5 (loss) games - .5 (loss) games, which equals .5 games back.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
why would they catch up to the royals? they are both in different divisions and kc is gonna win the division for sure

To be able to play the wildcard instead of the other divisional winner I guess

Plus, would be nice to be the AL season champs

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
'92 was unforgettable, especially after the '87 choke job vs the Tigers and the ALCS losses in '89 and '91.

The thing I remember the most about that regular season is we had a bad swoon in August and the Orioles closed the gap on us before Gillick traded for David Cone.

To me, the vibe in this city right now reminds me of those '92 and '93 seasons. You get the sense something special might be happening....

I remember 92 and 93 very well and this year feels a little bit different.

In 1992, there was a firm expectation that the team was going to win. Many felt they were the better team in 1991 and screwed up in the ALCS series against the Twins.

Then they added Jack Morris, Dave Winfield and started the season 9-1. There was definite excitement about the team, as everybody was performing as expected, but it felt more like the season was preparation for the playoffs. It was more like: "Now we're finally going to get it done."

This year everything has been so abrupt and stunning. They went from 50-51 and fans talking about needing to play .680 ball to contend to suddenly having the best lineup in the AL. This year it's more along the lines of: "It's finally happening!!!!"

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
why would they catch up to the royals? they are both in different divisions and kc is gonna win the division for sure

Ohhh I don't know......maybe to have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. We'd have the best record in baseball so we'd have home field in the ALDS and ALCS plus the W.S home field advantage goes to the A.L this year, so although it will be tough, getting past the Royals does have a purpose, a pretty big one actually.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
'92 was unforgettable, especially after the '87 choke job vs the Tigers and the ALCS losses in '89 and '91.

The thing I remember the most about that regular season is we had a bad swoon in August and the Orioles closed the gap on us before Gillick traded for David Cone.

To me, the vibe in this city right now reminds me of those '92 and '93 seasons. You get the sense something special might be happening....

It's so much fun to just be downtown right now... And you're right, you can just feel that something's happening.

Parents were in Europe for 3 weeks and got back Sunday... Yesterday morning my dad called me asking 'what's going on with the Jays.. What happened with the Jays' .... He's a fair weather fan but knew immediately something was happening after being out of touch for 3 weeks.

Let's say, for arguments sake, that it's like '92.... Next year will be like '93! ;)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ohhh I don't know......maybe to have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. We'd have the best record in baseball so we'd have home field in the ALDS and ALCS plus the W.S home field advantage goes to the A.L this year, so although it will be tough, getting past the Royals does have a purpose, a pretty big one actually.

even I knew that one.

it would be something if the Jays were able to catch up to the Royals.i think we're 6... 7? games behind them? could happen.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If we over take the Yankees for the division we have the 3rd best record in the AL currently so we'd get Houston in the ALDS with home field advantage. Man what a turnaround. Screw the WC go after KC

no we would have the 2nd best record in the AL. Houston is 61-53 (535 win percentage) and the yanks are 61-50 (550 win percentage).

lets say the ended today. we would vs the angels in the wild card game. lets say we win. then we would vs the royals in the alds, so if u want us to vs kc, ur best bet is to win the wild card game. this is because they're most likely gonna finish top of the American league. the next closest team is the Yankees and their 6.5 gb behind kc so theres not a good chance to vs kc in the alds unless ur in a wild card spot

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I remember 92 and 93 very well and this year feels a little bit different.

In 1992, there was a firm expectation that the team was going to win. Many felt they were the better team in 1991 and screwed up in the ALCS series against the Twins.

Then they added Jack Morris, Dave Winfield and started the season 9-1. There was definite excitement about the team, as everybody was performing as expected, but it felt more like the season was preparation for the playoffs. It was more like: "Now we're finally going to get it done."

This year everything has been so abrupt and stunning. They went from 50-51 and fans talking about needing to play .680 ball to contend to suddenly having the best lineup in the AL. This year it's more along the lines of: "It's finally happening!!!!"

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know those teams were supposed to win, and that this one is coming out of nowhere.

I just mean the atmosphere in the city seems the same. Blue Jays crazy.

Back then, the Jays were the talk of the town, and the sports pages, much like today....

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
To be able to play the wildcard instead of the other divisional winner I guess

Plus, would be nice to be the AL season champs

it would be nice but realistaclly were 7 games behind them and were ought to lose a game sometime. and its not like they have been struggling at all tbh.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
no we would have the 2nd best record in the AL. Houston is 61-53 (535 win percentage) and the yanks are 61-50 (550 win percentage).

lets say the ended today. we would vs the angels in the wild card game. lets say we win. then we would vs the royals in the alds, so if u want us to vs kc, ur best bet is to win the wild card game. this is because they're most likely gonna finish top of the American league. the next closest team is the Yankees and their 6.5 gb behind kc so theres not a good chance to vs kc in the alds unless ur in a wild card spot

Yeah, but I don't like the one game playoff with the Angels at all... I'd bet on us, but one game, anything can happen..

For those Royals, I'm hopeful it's gonna be in the ALCS.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Also FYI, Jays released six game flex packs with playoff access. No 500 levels so you're going to have to pay some $$ if you want them (not that you won't be able to make it back if you so desire).

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/ticketing/flex_packs.jsp#offer

How does it work in regards to potential post-season dates that obviously aren't set yet? I've owned numerous flex packs in the past. Is it a similar process of swapping out dates?

By the way, I clicked on it and it's still loading after 5 minutes. These won't last long.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
How does it work in regards to potential post-season dates that obviously aren't set yet? I've owned numerous flex packs in the past. Is it a similar process of swapping out dates?

Offer available: Wednesday, August 12 @ 10 a.m. to Friday, August 21 @ 5 p.m. Offer is subject to availability.
Full details regarding the opportunity to purchase Postseason tickets will be communicated in the coming weeks. Postseason tickets for all Series (Wild Card game, American League Division Series, American League Championship Series, and World Series) will be sold only in strips (i.e. you must purchase tickets to all the home games of all the Series). Access to Postseason tickets is limited to two seats per account.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Just waking up now, I went to the gym to catch the rest of Yankees game last night, didn't get home until 3 because of it... One thing to note is that their entire bullpen was used so here's hoping that the Indians get to their starter early tonight.

It really felt like last night that Hutch never smiled, not once. Maybe I'm just used to guys smiling a bit after pitching a great game but it was just so weird to me. It seemed like he really understood that last night was a make it or break it moment and he didn't want get out of the zone or something.

I'm actually glad that our offence isn't getting 10 runs a game lately because it's showing us that our pitching is able to win games again. It's such a good feeling to have a dominating team from both sides. Sanchez and Osuna seem unstoppable late in the games

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
even I knew that one.

it would be something if the Jays were able to catch up to the Royals.i think we're 6... 7? games behind them? could happen.

I'll take the AL East. We aren't catching the Royals.

If we win the East, we can only hope the wild card team knocks them off, and we take care of the West winner.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Picking up Pennington is a good depth move. He will add insurance incase of injury or time off for any off, Donaldson, Tulowitzki, Goins and Revere.

its not like Donaldson gets hurt and he's barely played 3rd/2nd base like 7 games i think

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Meh. I'm not worried about any AL teams. None. So I'm not worried about home field. The team I'm most scared to face is the Dodgers due to their pitching. It's unreal. Though with Price it gives us a chance.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It really felt like last night that Hutch never smiled, not once. Maybe I'm just used to guys smiling a bit after pitching a great game but it was just so weird to me. It seemed like he really understood that last night was a make it or break it moment and he didn't want get out of the zone or something.

That's just his demeanor. Much like Buehrle. He'll pop a smirk when the job is done. Until then it's all business.
In general he's a serious guy who is often very tough on himself. So it comes as no surprise.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown

Meh, if we win the division and have home field in the DS, but not the CS I'm fine with that. home field only really matters if you go to the 7th game anyway :naughty:

The only reason home field matters against the Royals is we'd get to complete the sweep in KC in front of their fans :laugh:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I think they picked up Pennington because of Travis's injury, I'd rather see Travis healthy, but Pennington will add to their depth.

nah. Travis was hurt weeks before Pennington was acquired and he hasn't been playing in favor of goins

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

By the way, I clicked on it and it's still loading after 5 minutes. These won't last long.

Not sure what you mean. When you buy postseason tickets its just generic games (ie ALDS Home Game 1, ALDS Home Game 2 etc)

nah. Travis was hurt weeks before Pennington was acquired and he hasn't been playing in favor of goins

Seems pretty clear at this point Valencia was cut + Pennington acquired since they realized Travis would be out for awhile and needed another guy who can play MIF

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think the most exciting thing is, IF the Jays make it in any position they should realistically come out of the AL. Whose going to stop them? Houston? KC? doubt it. Maybe the Yankees, but even that would be doubtful. The problem is getting to the WS your looking at one of the Dodgers, Cardinals, Pirates or Cubs all of whom have been just as good, if not better, than the Blue Jays in the second half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad