0-3 in the Sekera era. Jets 5, Carter 2

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Those Kopitar statistics are shocking. Grounds to take an honest look at the player's value to the team versus what could be recouped in a trade.

"Trade Kopitar" has become almost a meme around here and not what I'm advocating, but no one should be safe from scrutiny this year. Those stats are ABYSMAL.

What's shocking is that he's done this before in 2013. That what has me most alarmed.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Sutter had it right. Give up two goals on terrible turnovers and lose Meyers. Jets didn't have to do a whole lot to win the game.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'm sure Sutter gets tired of saying it, too.

He said it a while back (not this season) after Stoll scored (obviously not this season) after crashing the net. "Crash the net and good things will happen. Stoll was rewarded."

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
In theory, sure. If Lombardi is loyal to a fault though, he's not going to give up yet. Especially with the Pacific not all that great. They keep the pick if they miss, lost a prospect that at least a few years away, and if they make it, that's the whole point.

I'm on the fence. I see value in going for the playoffs and selling and seeing what happens.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
10th game Kopitar has had 0 SOG. Way too many 0, 1 and 2 in that category looking at his game log.

He's actually shooting at 12.4% which is up from his career avg. of 12.3%. To get to his rookie season low of 193 SOG he needs to average close to 5 shots a game the rest of the way. Incredible.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't care what stats are selected, this team is Kopitar's team at forward. We live and die by what he does and Carter's line is only free to do what they do because of him. If anything, this shows how thin our margin of error is with no scoring depth beyond Carter's line as well as emphasizes our issues on defense (not personnel as much as injury and chemistry due to a different lineup every freaking night). We would NEVER get back in a trade anything that would replace him, so I hope we don't have that discussion period (and I appreciate the disclaimer)...we just really need him to get the engine really started and we're running out of time.

In all honesty, not making excuses for him, he just looks gassed. His skating is labored, he's knocked off the puck easily, and his focus is trashed. Even with all that he's putting up decent points, we just NEED more.

Don't get me wrong, I think criticism is warranted, but extremes aren't, and there's plenty of suck to go around beyond Kopitar.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Those Kopitar statistics are shocking. Grounds to take an honest look at the player's value to the team versus what could be recouped in a trade.

"Trade Kopitar" has become almost a meme around here and not what I'm advocating, but no one should be safe from scrutiny this year. Those stats are ABYSMAL.

What's shocking is that he's done this before in 2013. That what has me most alarmed.

No one's trading Kopitar- he'd be a beast in the east.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
10th game Kopitar has had 0 SOG. Way too many 0, 1 and 2 in that category looking at his game log.

He's actually shooting at 12.4% which is up from his career avg. of 12.3%. To get to his rookie season low of 193 SOG he needs to average close to 5 shots a game the rest of the way. Incredible.

I think the shooting percentage may be up thanks in part to the low number of shots he has taken.

It's a pretty sad sight when Marc Arcobello has more goals than Anze Kopitar.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yeah that's brutal.

And to be fair he had a few attempts tonight, they were all deflected away. I made it a point to watch him closely and there were more than a few times when not one, not two, but THREE Jets were converging on him before puck even went his way. He's getting blanketed even more than usual and part of that has to do with how ineffective his linemates have been when they have the puck vs. when Kopi does. He's the heartbeat.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't care what stats are selected, this team is Kopitar's team at forward. We live and die by what he does and Carter's line is only free to do what they do because of him. If anything, this shows how thin our margin of error is with no scoring depth beyond Carter's line as well as emphasizes our issues on defense (not personnel as much as injury and chemistry due to a different lineup every freaking night). We would NEVER get back in a trade anything that would replace him, so I hope we don't have that discussion period (and I appreciate the disclaimer)...we just really need him to get the engine really started and we're running out of time.

In all honesty, not making excuses for him, he just looks gassed. His skating is labored, he's knocked off the puck easily, and his focus is trashed. Even with all that he's putting up decent points, we just NEED more.

Don't get me wrong, I think criticism is warranted, but extremes aren't, and there's plenty of suck to go around beyond Kopitar.

The amount of life force his wife sucked out of him to make their progeny is absurd. Dude needs to get his mojo back, and fast. He can start by not passing up shot attempts in order to try and set up Robyn Regehr.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Said it earlier. This team won't win many games when our #1 offensive player doesn't register a single worthless shot. The single line can only do so much.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The amount of life force his wife sucked out of him to make their progeny is absurd. Dude needs to get his mojo back, and fast. He can start by not passing up shot attempts in order to try and set up Robyn Regehr.

I'm glad lots of others noticed this too :laugh:

I was so pissed that there were 4 dangerous offensive guys on that line...and the guy wide open in the slot was Regehr. Ugh.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Only watched the game off and on. But, with the few glimpses I saw the Kings being out skated, out muscled, out hustled, out hit, out executed, and ultimately out worked!

The Kings look old and tired. Some of the Vets couldn't keep up with the youth of our opponents. Sekera looks slow and isn't physical either.

Voynov is a much better skater and has better wheels than Sekera, and Voynov is a bulldog along the boards and in front of the net! Plus he's more dynamic with the puck! Why o Why Voynov! WHY!?!!!

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Carter, Doughty and Quick are our only vets that can be depended on. When our 4th line is more noticeable than Kopitar on a regular basis…you're going to lose a lot of games.

I honestly can't wait to get Williams off this team. I hope he is gone by tomorrow so we can get something in return as opposed to letting him walk for free.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That was disappointing. I only get to see the Kings live once or twice a year and they play like that. Not cool.

4th line played well. That's about it. Horrible game all around. Jets played good I guess but really LA just handed that one to them, IMO.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
Carter, Doughty and Quick are our only vets that can be depended on. When our 4th line is more noticeable than Kopitar on a regular basis…you're going to lose a lot of games.

I honestly can't wait to get Williams off this team. I hope he is gone by tomorrow so we can get something in return as opposed to letting him walk for free.

Always liked Williams but at this point I agree. I'm almost certain we'd be better off trading him by the deadline tomorrow so we at least get something for him. The alternative is we keep him for the playoffs, which we may not even make and certainly aren't a favorite in, and then resign him for too high a price or we lose him anyway and get nothing in return.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Was I watching the same game as Sutter or does he see it different at ice level? Stoll with over 17 minutes TOI while Carter and his line (which was the only real threat) a little over 15 minutes. And it wasn't for face offs or some such thing since Carter and Kopitar each had 23 FOs' while Stoll was down to 12. And was Brown hurt or being punished? He only had 13 and a half minutes. And Kopitar was as absolutely ineffective as I've seen him all year. Whether mental or physical, there's definitely something wrong with this guy.

Maybe Sutter was saving guys for the Edmonton game.

He got benched along with Williams because he got beat by Myers on goal two. Yet Lewis turned it over at the blueline, Jets score and he's moved up to the top line.
Brown and Williams didn't see a shift until 5 min into the 3rd and that was on the 4th line.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Sutter was definitely sending a message when he threw Andreoff out there as the 6th attacker.

At least he pulled Jones when he should've, unlike in ANA where he waited until the final minute to do it. The Kings had barely made the blueline when Jones came out:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad