0-3 in the Sekera era. Jets 5, Carter 2

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Kings just seem to always end up with high priced vets collapsing down the stretch.

2011 Smyth
2014 Richards
2015 Stoll, Greene

Problems go way beyond Voynov. If we are going to give Lombardi quite a bit of credit for the Cup wins (and we should) he deserves quite a bit of blame for this current squad.

Greene isn't collapsing, he's playing in a role above his ability due to unforeseen circumstances. Stoll on the other hand...

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
So this year when we win the Cup from the 8th seed are we going to be a real 8th seed or a fake one like we were in 2012 :naughty:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Kings-bench-300x200.jpg

Kings audio: Coach Sutter and Jeff Carter.

To listen click here.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Greene isn't collapsing, he's playing in a role above his ability due to unforeseen circumstances. Stoll on the other hand...

Stoll is also playing a role above his ability because of unforeseen circumstance. The fact remains, both guys have been awful.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings just seem to always end up with high priced vets collapsing down the stretch.

2011 Smyth
2014 Richards
2015 Stoll, Greene

Problems go way beyond Voynov. If we are going to give Lombardi quite a bit of credit for the Cup wins (and we should) he deserves quite a bit of blame for this current squad.

It ultimately falls on the GM, no doubt, but no one could have forseen literally every defenseman not named Doughty getting hurt this year, Voynov missing the entire year, signing a defenseman not even playing in the NHL, our forwards' collective inability to play defense, and the bad play/heavy decline of Richards and Stoll simultaneously. MOST of these roster issues were far beyond his control, and most of it is due to on-ice play. For that and the cup win last year, this is a mulligan year regardless, I'm more interested in what happens next for criticism's sake.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Yeah but he's been PPG for 30 games. Not that those three games where he had 11 points has anything to do with that, but whatever.

I know, and I still guarantee this team makes the playoffs, but there are NO EXCUSES why he doesn't register a single shot. It just can't happen.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I know, and I still guarantee this team makes the playoffs, but there are NO EXCUSES why he doesn't register a single shot. It just can't happen.

He just must feel like he has no room to shoot and rather pass the puck to somebody who has a better chance at seeing an opening. The problem with that is that he's overthinking it and hesitating when he should just put it towards the net. We are an ugly, dirty goal team. Kopi has to stop waiting for John Gibson to shine a light down from the heavens that leads directly into the oppositions goal. It's not going to happen. We need screens, rebounds and deflections right now. And Kopi has to shoot the damn puck for that to happen. Otherwise he's going to keep getting smothered and losing the puck without ever attempting a shot, or passing to black holes like RR who is going to go high and wide every single time.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

And in 2 straight games, which he hasn't done before this season, even though he's averaging the fewest shots per game of his career. 1 shot in the last 3 games, 3 in the last 4, 4 in the last 5. 1 goal and 10 points in the last 17 games. 2 ES goals in the last 29 games, and 3 ES goals in the last 46 games.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Jets played the desperation style of hockey that you would've expected the Kings to play with. They were initiating contact, aggressive on the forecheck, buzzing in front of the net, y'know, things you usually see from the Kings when they're on their game.

When the Kings are even slightly off, we're all in for a long night, and this is what we've seen in the past two games.

A slew of veterans are also really letting the team down with their play. Regehr keeps turning pucks over, Williams can't get the puck out of his zone and loves dicking around with the puck on his side of the ice until he is pressured and coughs it up, Greene can't connect with a simple pass, Brown doesn't know how to effectively check in his own zone, Kopitar is a ghost, Stoll isn't good at any single aspect of the sport.

These are the most experienced veterans on the team and they are playing their absolute worst hockey at a critical junction of the season.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Was I watching the same game as Sutter or does he see it different at ice level? Stoll with over 17 minutes TOI while Carter and his line (which was the only real threat) a little over 15 minutes. And it wasn't for face offs or some such thing since Carter and Kopitar each had 23 FOs' while Stoll was down to 12. And was Brown hurt or being punished? He only had 13 and a half minutes. And Kopitar was as absolutely ineffective as I've seen him all year. Whether mental or physical, there's definitely something wrong with this guy.

Maybe Sutter was saving guys for the Edmonton game.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
He just must feel like he has no room to shoot and rather pass the puck to somebody who has a better chance at seeing an opening. The problem with that is that he's overthinking it and hesitating when he should just put it towards the net. We are an ugly, dirty goal team. Kopi has to stop waiting for John Gibson to shine a light down from the heavens that leads directly into the oppositions goal. It's not going to happen. We need screens, rebounds and deflections right now. And Kopi has to shoot the damn puck for that to happen. Otherwise he's going to keep getting smothered and losing the puck without ever attempting a shot, or passing to black holes like RR who is going to go high and wide every single time.

Kings are gonna score next game and everyone on here is gonna go crazy because it's gonna be an UGLY GOAL. I just don't get this team. Create traffic, crash the net, and score. Like it's a ****ing ancient secret. I get tired of posting this crap.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
And in 2 straight games, which he hasn't done before this season, even though he's averaging the fewest shots per game of his career. 1 shot in the last 3 games, 3 in the last 4, 4 in the last 5. 1 goal and 10 points in the last 17 games. 2 ES goals in the last 29 games, and 3 ES goals in the last 46 games.

Pathetic. I'd prefer shooting too much.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Kings are gonna score next game and everyone on here is gonna go crazy because it's gonna be an UGLY GOAL. I just don't get this team. Create traffic, crash the net, and score. Like it's a ****ing ancient secret. I get tired of posting this crap.

It was pretty obvious the Jets' plan was to crash the net- it kind of threw Quick off his game IMO.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Kings are letting the opponent do whatever they want in Quick's crease. Painful to watch. Bunch of *******. I'd throw the opponent down on his ass if he ran into Quick.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Recoup assets for a guy who may or may not re-sign here.

In theory, sure. If Lombardi is loyal to a fault though, he's not going to give up yet. Especially with the Pacific not all that great. They keep the pick if they miss, lost a prospect that at least a few years away, and if they make it, that's the whole point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad