⭐2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion Thread⭐

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Kyle Dubas speaks to the media about the current state of the Maple Leafs and whether or not he is worried about teams offer sheeting Mitch Marner or Auston Matthews.

Oh my......maybe both will be OS. Better not let Marner get to July....

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No idea where to put this but I guess this will do. One of the best hockey analytics person out there got promoted big time today.

He went from a blogger to basically an Assistant GM. That's quite the career path.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I'm starting to look at small roster upgrades that make sense for Toronto in the present and in the future, particularly on defense.

I'd like to see Toronto make a move for Mackenzie Weegar from Florida to replace Igor Ozighanov on the third pairing and push OZ to #7 so that we don't have to see Marincin and Holl in the lineup.

Here is my argument...

Weegar, at 24, is ascending, and fits the age demographic of this team. He makes $900k and has double the points total (8) on the season of Ozhiganov, in the same #5-#6 role. Here is the catch. He plays with arguably the worst defensive partner in the NHL, Alex Petrovic, and that drags down his +/- (on top of playing for Florida). Last year he played a lot of minutes with Mike Matheson on the 2nd pairing and finished +5 in his first season, playing 60 games. This year he is on pace to up his point total 2.5× from last year.

Weegar is a RHD, is a well above average, 2 way skater (a need playing with Toronto), a guy who hits and is a willing fighter. His -5 is not an indication of the way he's played this season and when he isn't stuck with Petrovic, he's really productive. 3 times this season injury has forced him to move up to the 2nd pairing with Matheson. In all three of those games he has recorded points and a + rating. He had 2 primary assists last night when they moved him up to the #2 pairing. He penalty kills as well.

When talking about upgrading the D-core right now, and finding cheap, quality replacements in the future to replace contracts like Hainsey's, I think the kid could be a really nice fit as a player you cement on your bottom pairing while the likes of Sandin and Liljegren develop for bigger roles. I'd bet he'd already have 12-13 points on the season and be a + player (he was last year) if he played in Toronto instead of Florida.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Stat of the Day

Leafs Goals Per Game

W/O Auston & Willy: 14gms, 47gls --- 3.36gpg
With just Auston: 14gms, 55gls -------- 3.93gpg
With both of them: 10gms, 42gls ------- 4.20gpg

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Stat of the Day

Leafs Goals Per Game

W/O Auston & Willy: 14gms, 47gls --- 3.36gpg
With just Auston: 14gms, 55gls -------- 3.93gpg
With both of them: 10gms, 42gls ------- 4.20gpg

Doesn't really mean much, team/players/coaching/experimenting/etc always adjusting to missing players

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
My favourite fun fact of the season so far: Pär Lindholm has more points (11) than Milan Lucic (8).
Another fun fact, Milan Lucic is the only forward besides RNH, McDavid and Draisaitl who has yet to be healthy scratched this season on the Oilers. One of those things is not like the other...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad