⭐2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion Thread⭐

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know it's not a popular opinion but I would move Marner to the 3rd line if we match up against the Bruins in the playoffs. Last year, our top line was not only shut down, it was getting scored on. Leaving Marner's line to do most of the producing and lost the series running two scoring lines. This year, we can roll 3 "1st lines" that Boston can't match.

Hyman Tavares Nylander
Johnsson Matthews Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner
Ennis Lindholm Brown

Marner is clearly the best RW we have but Matthews and Tavares can drive their own lines. Why not have 3 first lines?

I like it. I don't think Babcock would ever do this but I like it.

It’s hard getting all of them the icetime they need to be effective if they’re on 3 different lines. Even now Matthews and Tavares play like 2 minutes less what they probably should be playing.

That being said, in a playoff series I think it’s important to be open to changes and if spreading out the talent helps us then by all means do it.

I think they'd be fine, the 4th line just sits a ton is all. And if they need more ice time then every now and then, the big guns take a shift on the 4th line.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I really like how the leafs are 4-0 in overtime and have yet to play in a shootout

We're still the only team without a single OT loss this season. Pretty meaningless as far as stats go but still, kind of cool IMO. Wonder what the odds are of us keeping that up for the whole season? Not great but possible, definitely possible. :)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We're still the only team without a single OT loss this season. Pretty meaningless as far as stats go but still, kind of cool IMO. Wonder what the odds are of us keeping that up for the whole season? Not great but possible, definitely possible. :)

I heard one of our idiot media trying to use this as negative.

Something along the lines of "the Leafs need dont have any OT losses. They need to put a few of those away because every point counts"

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I heard one of our idiot media trying to use this as negative.

Something along the lines of "the Leafs need dont have any OT losses. They need to put a few of those away because every point counts"

Hahaha that's hilarious.

Since we're on the topic of idiot media, I heard one clown on the radio a week or two ago going on at length about his fantastic idea - allow teams to trade cap space, up to 10 million per season one year at a time. So we could for example trade picks and prospects to a small market team for an extra 10 million of cap space this season. Yeah, and do what with it? Trade more picks and prospects for a rental?

Anyhow, I only started listening to sports radio about a month ago and out of all the idiotic things I've heard, that one takes the cake.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The Leafs now lead the league in PDO which is a bit of a concern but how much of one?

Rounding out the top 5 are:

2. Colorado
3. Tampa
4. Winnipeg
5. Nashville

Maybe to be a good team you have to have good goalkeeping and finishing?

Makes sense.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The Leafs now lead the league in PDO which is a bit of a concern but how much of one?

Rounding out the top 5 are:

2. Colorado
3. Tampa
4. Winnipeg
5. Nashville

Maybe to be a good team you have to have good goalkeeping and finishing?

Makes sense.
The SH% part of PDO I’m not worried about. Everything about our systems, stretch passes, cross seam passes, high slot deflections etc...are designed to increase SH%. You know how we go Marner to Matthews on the PP cross ice? For those kinds of plays, SH% increases to around 35%, and Matthews is a much better shooting talent than average. What’s even more interesting is you can be 3 passes removed following a cross ice pass, and your teams SH% will still be 25% just cause that cross ice pass discombobulates the opposing team and it’s hard to recover.

The SV% will come down unless Andersen decides he’s going to have a Hart trophy season lol

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Seriously please, anyone who played a goalie before, at any level.

What, in the name of God, the f*** was he doing on that play? Why? What was he thinking?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Bahaha...Burke pulled out the 'parade route' comment on Tim & Sid on Tuesday. He's still angry and butthurt.

(here's a hint, most us know the defence is our weakness, but it doesn't mean we are not a contender)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Bourne: Mike Babcock's biggest challenge is convincing the...
Back to Mike Babcock and the two main points that he delivered during his post-game comments. The first was to say that his team wasn’t competitive enough, which came from coach Babcock. The second comes from emoticon-shrug Babs, who despite likely being disappointed in the result doesn’t see some fractured dressing room, or some deeply-flawed roster, or any reason to panic.

Every time a team loses, particularly the Maple Leafs, there’s a rush from fans and media alike to ascribe deeper meaning to the team’s failing than is actually present. And when you have confidence in your team, you don’t need to over-correct to things that aren’t really there. I don’t know if anyone’s had the chutzpah to put this in print yet, but I’ve already heard comments about William Nylander and his effect on the team being a negative one, based on the past two games. My point here is it’s more likely the opposite. His teammates know he’s so good that it probably pushed their confidence from a healthy level to one where they assume they can walk over lesser teams or injury depleted teams.

To be clear, I’m not saying Nylander’s return is the sole reason for the Leafs lackluster showings the past two games, but rather a contributing factor to a team so confident they almost seem to be testing what’s the bare minimum effort they can put in and still win.

That’s going to be the biggest test for this Maple Leafs coaching staff. How do you coax the maximum effort possible out of your group each night when they know they have the talent to have success, even if they don’t play like it’s Game 7 of the Final? How do you keep your group from playing down to the level of inferior opponents? How do you stay on your guys without over-selling every opponent, which leads guys to not believe you when you’re actually trying to sell an underrated opponent (the Boy Who Cried Wolf conundrum of coaching), which leads to them tuning out your voice?

The past few seasons in Toronto Mike Babcock has made less than subtle remarks about him simply not having the tools (players) to compete with the best in the league, particularly at the center position. While the current roster certainly isn’t perfect, I don’t think that’s a card he gets to play anymore. Having enough skill on your roster to win, and win often, creates its own challenges, a variety of which Maple Leafs fans haven’t seen much of over the past 50 years or so.

This group knows they’re good, which is great. But to be great, Babs biggest task might be convincing them they’re just good.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The day after a game, its a lot easier to take a deep breath and look at things. There seems to be a lot of panic in this last little stretch. And while things need to improve, we aren't at the sky is falling hottake level yet.

First thing I look at is before this 5-game stretch, the Leafs went 12-4 from the start of November to the Buffalo game. What does 12-4 and a 123 point pace tell me? Awesome, but unsustainable. This was coupled with Marner, Tavares and Matthews being on unsustainable scoring paces, while Freddy (.934) and Sparks (.925) were also on unsustainable paces.

What happens when you are on unsustainable paces? Unfortunately, you have to come back down to earth, and that will usually include a bit of a doodoo stretch.

After the last 5 games, some paces:

109 points
Marner 82-20-87-107
Tavares 82-50-34-84
Matthews 68-57-39-96 (are you f***ing kidding me?)
Rielly 82-25-62-87

Trying to look at the positives and negatives of this stretch

Pros:
  • 4/10 points won't kill you. A win and some extra points were nice
  • 2 of the 5 games were played extremely well (Carolina, Tampa)
  • More of a response to being pushed around

Cons:
  • Goaltending (Detroit, Boston, I guess Tampa)
  • The big boys have been somewhat ineffective
  • Powerplay
  • Penalty Kill
  • Disrespecting their opponent (Detroit, depleted Boston, Florida)
  • Poor defensive coverage on a lot of plays/goals
  • Tenacity

While that is a big and critical list, I'm not letting a small poor streak or slump tell me the sky is falling. From the cons list, here is what I'm not worried about yet and some things I am (the prolonged obvious).
  • Goaltending (Detroit, Boston, I guess Tampa) | too few games to worry
  • The big boys have been somewhat ineffective | too few games to worry
  • Powerplay | the personnel is too good for this to continue
  • Penalty Kill | the personnel isn't good enough, this could continue
  • Disrespecting their opponent (Detroit, depleted Boston, Florida) | This shouldn't be a concern, but it is. This may take a lot of maturity to get over
  • Poor defensive coverage on a lot of plays/goals | personnel isn't good enough, this will continue
  • Tenacity | We don't need grit or face punchers, we need energy and willingness
In the end, our offence, goaltending and overall record shouldn't be a concern. Yet. If this continues over the next 4-6 games to end the calendar year, yes, I will be concerned (especially considering our opponents). But the Freddy blows, Matthews has no shoulder, our pp is awful takes are premature. Things are just normalizing, pacing is reverting to their norms.

On the other hand, the right side of our defence (timed with Dermott in a very rough patch) is the main concern. This needs an upgrade, or we won't go where we need to if its not dealt with. And a couple more tenacious middle-6 wingers would be nice.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
That's fine for the regular season. I just hope that in the playoffs... reality and common sense prevail

This is kind of a newly structured forward group this season with Tavares, Kappy, Johnsson, Lindholm, Babs is still figuring out how to max these guys out. Babs has been to finals 3 or 4 times, he knows more than most on how to get there.

Reactions: ToneDog

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is kind of a newly structured forward group this season with Tavares, Kappy, Johnsson, Lindholm, Babs is still figuring out how to max these guys out. Babs has been to finals 3 or 4 times, he knows more than most on how to get there.

Yep. I’ve got faith.

But I would hope that with the TV time outs and other benefits (no drug testing in the playoffs... just saying) we could find a way to play our stars more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad