⭐2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion Thread⭐

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I wonder how many are still in the "we're not a true contender" camp because we still need another Dman or need two more Dmen or need a couple more forwards who are physical or need to win a round first or whatever else. I'm not saying we're the cup favourites or anything but as I've said from the start of the season, if some other team would be favoured against us the gap so small there may as well not be one. There is a group of elite teams at the top and IMHO, there's no question that we're one of them.

This could be the year ...

We're a contender, but I am in the camp that we need to lower our chances against before I feel good about beating Tampa or Boston. A good dman would definitely help there.

Maybe we can trade chances and win, though.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Looking at the Leafs lineup my only real concern is the lack of a big body or two, or at least some more physicality.

I see Kapanen finishing checks (and finishing them hard) but with Komarov, Martin and Polak gone the Leafs can get pushed around, especially in the offensive zone. Look at that last Chara-less Boston game, for example. A clone of Tom Wilson would do nicely.

Reactions: ACC1224

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This defence can bring us to a SCF, the bashing of Toronto’s D is heavily exaggerated by many haters.

Our offence is like the the Red Army when it’s clicking and we will overwhelm nearly every team most nights. Freddy is a beast.

18-8-0, this is a very good Leafs team I feel they will shatter last years 49-26-7, 105 point record. Enjoying every bit of it!!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Looking at the Leafs lineup my only real concern is the lack of a big body or two, or at least some more physicality.

I see Kapanen finishing checks (and finishing them hard) but with Komarov, Martin and Polak gone the Leafs can get pushed around, especially in the offensive zone. Look at that last Chara-less Boston game, for example. A clone of Tom Wilson would do nicely.

Martin didnt play, and Polak was a whole teams worth of icings in one player. Our icings, and times getting scored on after an icing, are dramatically improved with him gone.

Martin was a glue guy, but we need a an actual player.

And thats besides the point that we they didnt prevent Boston from pushing us around anyways. Marchand literally licked Komarov's face and caused Kadri to see red mist, get suspended, and may well have cost us the series.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Martin didnt play, and Polak was a whole teams worth of icings in one player. Our icings, and times getting scored on after an icing, are dramatically improved with him gone.

Martin was a glue guy, but we need a an actual player.

And thats besides the point that we they didnt prevent Boston from pushing us around anyways. Marchand literally licked Komarov's face and caused Kadri to see red mist, get suspended, and may well have cost us the series.

I agree with all that. A physical player who can play could be a difference maker for this team when the playoffs come.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This defence can bring us to a SCF, the bashing of Toronto’s D is heavily exaggerated by many haters.

Our offence is like the the Red Army when it’s clicking and we will overwhelm nearly every team most nights. Freddy is a beast.

18-8-0, this is a very good Leafs team I feel they will shatter last years 49-26-7, 105 point record. Enjoying every bit of it!!

so if you have a problem with the overall defense of this team (when it comes down to crunch time), you're a hater now?

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I don't think that they can compete for a cup with that defense.
Especially if Zaitsev and gardiner play together..they would be a turnover waiting to happen when faced with playoff hockey hitting and forechecking.
And then there's hainsey..
Is there a competent defensive d man out there available for a draftpick?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't think that they can compete for a cup with that defense.
Especially if Zaitsev and gardiner play together..they would be a turnover waiting to happen when faced with playoff hockey hitting and forechecking.
And then there's hainsey..
Is there a competent defensive d man out there available for a draftpick?

Gardiner and Zaitsev have allowed some ridiculously low amount of 5v5 goals since like mid October. Like 5 or something. Theyve been our best pair in that regard by a long shot.

Reactions: Liminality

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Gardiner and Zaitsev have allowed some ridiculously low amount of 5v5 goals since like mid October. Like 5 or something. Theyve been our best pair in that regard by a long shot.

I 'd like to see what the chances against were for that duo and not just the goals.............maybe they have been better than I thought.
Besides, I'm talking about the intense forechecking likely to be seen in the playoffs, not the regular season.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

In the last 19 games, the Gards/Zaitsev pairing has allowed 3 goals in 279:25 minutes played which is the best ga/60 for a pairing in the NHL over that span despite being particularly unsheltered for a 2nd pair. They havnt tore it up offensively during that time but their 9 goals for/ 3 against GF% rating of 75% is also tops in the NHL over that time.

It actually extends beyond that as both are also in the top 5 individually and are ranked 1-2 for top 4 dmen for both GA/60 and GF% in the league. Gards amazing puck moving ability and smart transitions mixed with Zaitsev cycle breaking and net front D eliminates a ton of high danger plays. Lots of low% shots coming in with not a lot of 2nd chances with them on the ice lately.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I 'd like to see what the chances against were for that duo and not just the goals.............maybe they have been better than I thought.
Besides, I'm talking about the intense forechecking likely to be seen in the playoffs, not the regular season.

The pairing was really good in the playoffs. One of the better pairings in the whole first round for scoring chance differential. Got burned on the rush a couple times but were not really a problem for us. Anderson did have a problem with letting softies in with them on the ice though. The Boston forecheck was far more effective against he other two pairings as Dermott became a giveaway machine and Reilly/Hainsey were just dominated by the Bruins big line.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So now we're tied with Bullafo for 2nd overall (by PTS%) behind TB. Would be really something if the playoffs started with the 2nd/3rd overall meeting in the 1st round. Would the be enough for the NHL to re-consider their idiotic PO system?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leafs underlying numbers are starting to slip
5v5 numbers:
50.22 cf% (16th)
2.43 xgf/60 (9th)
2.49 xga/60 (27th)
49.38 xgf% (16th)

Leafs should be a lot better than they are at controlling play. I'm not really sure why they're only mediocre at best. Everything is worse than last year relative to the league, except for expected goals against which is the same. Ideally you want to see improvement as the team gets more used to the system and our young players develop. Regression pretty bad, although it's not the end of the world either

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Leafs underlying numbers are starting to slip
5v5 numbers:
50.22 cf% (16th)
2.43 xgf/60 (9th)
2.49 xga/60 (27th)
49.38 xgf% (16th)

Leafs should be a lot better than they are at controlling play. I'm not really sure why they're only mediocre at best. Everything is worse than last year relative to the league, except for expected goals against which is the same. Ideally you want to see improvement as the team gets more used to the system and our young players develop. Regression pretty bad, although it's not the end of the world either

I think one of the major problems we have is the boys are sleepwalking and "doing enough to win"

When we get down we seem to play much better and you can see the effort levels increase, which would probably give us better metrics

At the moment it seems to be great PP, so so PK, skill our way out of trouble, get great goaltending and cruise

I haven't looked at the numbers to see if they support that hypothesis but that's what I believe I'm seeing

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think one of the major problems we have is the boys are sleepwalking and "doing enough to win"

When we get down we seem to play much better and you can see the effort levels increase, which would probably give us better metrics

At the moment it seems to be great PP, so so PK, skill our way out of trouble, get great goaltending and cruise

I haven't looked at the numbers to see if they support that hypothesis but that's what I believe I'm seeing
those are score adjusted so they should take it into account. It does seem like the team doesn't put much effort in for a good portion of games though

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
those are score adjusted so they should take it into account. It does seem like the team doesn't put much effort in for a good portion of games though

It does look like an attitude rather than ability

We have bursts of excellent with a ton of not giving a **** and relying on Freddy plus skill to win us games

I don't think that's sustainable as is but you do get the feeling that once they turn it on there's at least another gear or two to go with this lot

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not big on predictions but I did say at the beginning of the season that we should be battling for 1st place in our division which probably means battling for 1st place overall. Today that looks to be spot on as TB is 1st overall and we are clear 2nd (by PTS% of course). TB's #1 goalie being out hasn't slowed them down, that's a scary team over there. But soon we add Nylander, Matthews is back, if we can stay healthy we should be right there with them. In any case, 2nd overall 1/3 of the way into the season is a damn good place to be. 1st place in the division is the goal but 2nd place and at least having home advantage in the 1st round is something at least.

If we can stay healthy and Andersen plays at a high level, we can beat anyone. So far so good. :)

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
I know it's not a popular opinion but I would move Marner to the 3rd line if we match up against the Bruins in the playoffs. Last year, our top line was not only shut down, it was getting scored on. Leaving Marner's line to do most of the producing and lost the series running two scoring lines. This year, we can roll 3 "1st lines" that Boston can't match.

Hyman Tavares Nylander
Johnsson Matthews Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner
Ennis Lindholm Brown

Marner is clearly the best RW we have but Matthews and Tavares can drive their own lines. Why not have 3 first lines?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I know it's not a popular opinion but I would move Marner to the 3rd line if we match up against the Bruins in the playoffs. Last year, our top line was not only shut down, it was getting scored on. Leaving Marner's line to do most of the producing and lost the series running two scoring lines. This year, we can roll 3 "1st lines" that Boston can't match.

Hyman Tavares Nylander
Johnsson Matthews Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner
Ennis Lindholm Brown

Marner is clearly the best RW we have but Matthews and Tavares can drive their own lines. Why not have 3 first lines?
It’s hard getting all of them the icetime they need to be effective if they’re on 3 different lines. Even now Matthews and Tavares play like 2 minutes less what they probably should be playing.

That being said, in a playoff series I think it’s important to be open to changes and if spreading out the talent helps us then by all means do it.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
It’s hard getting all of them the icetime they need to be effective if they’re on 3 different lines. Even now Matthews and Tavares play like 2 minutes less what they probably should be playing.

That being said, in a playoff series I think it’s important to be open to changes and if spreading out the talent helps us then by all means do it.

That's what I was getting at. I wouldnt roll those lines out during the entire season and playoffs but last year, Boston picked their poison and let the other line roll. With this line up, they would be letting 2 lines roll. Chara and Bergerons line can't play the whole game. Babcock could also take time from our 4th line and spread it amongst the other 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad