OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Anybody here an Enter Shikari fan?

Really small-time band - but their new album is unbelievable.

Nothing is True and Everything is Possible !!

Lol I definitely don’t check this thread every few weeks to see if someone mentions Enter Shikari or anything...

They’re easily my favorite band. Have been for over 10 years now. They might be small time compared to some, but small time bands don’t headline European arena tours!

New album is good, but I think they went a bit overboard in scope. Favorites are T.I.N.A and Crossing the Rubicon probably. As usual though, the album will reach another level once we hear some of them live. Dreamer’s Hotel comes to mind.

Reactions: NYRangers88

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
You could say this about Opeth's entire discography. Coincidentally, I've been listening to In Cauda Venenum on repeat the last couple of days after not checking it out upon its release - turns out, it's the best album of their prog era by far, for me.
I've just checked out 'Blackwater Park' and 'Ghost Reveries', so I'm just getting into them. Still getting used to the "cookie monster" vocals in places. I've been in a very heavy and aggressive mood music-wise lately.

Reactions: jacko23

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
4 concerts this summer/september, all cancelled or postponed already. Probably the most unhappy about Rammstein's

ClutchTom

May 25, 2004
currently Kraków, Poland
I've just checked out 'Blackwater Park' and 'Ghost Reveries', so I'm just getting into them. Still getting used to the "cookie monster" vocals in places. I've been in a very heavy and aggressive mood music-wise lately.
I totally get you. Opeth was my gateway drug in the sense that I had never really listened to any music with growling vocals like they had when I first got into them about 10+ years ago. At first, the vocals were a real stumbling block for me too and I just couldn't get used to them. But I kept getting drawn back into listening to the band because I found that no band I'd listen to could achieve the contrasting dark/light atmosphere within the same song the way that Opeth could. I couldn't believe that it was the same guy singing both clean and the death metal vocals, loved their use of acoustic guitars to layer in, etc. So one day even the vocals just clicked for me and now I can't imagine Opeth without them, although they were an acquired taste for me too. I do respect Opeth's evolution into an all out prog band and, as I mentioned, their latest release is nothing short of brilliant, but I do with they'd go back to their old sound unexpectedly, at least for one more album.

You're in an enviable position as a new fan. You have so much more to look forward to. You definitely still have to check out Still Life and My Arms, Your Hearse. Those two, along with Blackwater Park are my top three. But there's still Morningrise, Deliverance and Damnation. Listen to the latter if you're in the mood for the lighter side of Opeth especially. There are some stunning songs on there for sure. Hope you'll continue your musical journey with Opeth and let me know how you get on - as you can probably tell, they're one of my absolute favorite bands.

Reactions: jas

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
New Killers song..

Seems about right....

“If I don’t get out, out of this town, I just might be the one who finally burns it down”

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Sorry to interrupt the metal fest, but I'm discovering Marc Cohn. Loving his husky, soulful voice and music. I get goosebumps listening to his stuff, which doesn't happen often.

Now back to your scheduled metal programming of:

Manowar Triumph of Steel, especially Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts
Amon Amarth power/Viking metal
Insomnium Scandinavian melodic death metal
Misery Signals "Controller", the perfect metalcore album
Chimaira
Messhugah odd-time signature masters
Confessor doom metal

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Sorry to interrupt the metal fest, but I'm discovering Marc Cohn. Loving his husky, soulful voice and music. I get goosebumps listening to his stuff, which doesn't happen often.

Now back to your scheduled metal programming of:

Manowar Triumph of Steel, especially Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts
Amon Amarth power/Viking metal
Insomnium Scandinavian melodic death metal
Misery Signals "Controller", the perfect metalcore album
Chimaira
Messhugah odd-time signature masters
Confessor doom metal

I haven't heard the name Mark Cohn since I worked at Atlantic Records in the early 90s. That first album went Platinum. He didn't sell too well after that.

I remember seeing Manowar a few times, but the last time was at the Limelight in NYC. They were a spectacle.

My metal tastes are heavier than what's listed above.

Lately though, I'm obsessed with the Velvet Underground and Nico album.

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I haven't heard the name Mark Cohn since I worked at Atlantic Records in the early 90s. That first album went Platinum. He didn't sell too well after that.

I remember seeing Manowar a few times, but the last time was at the Limelight in NYC. They were a spectacle.

My metal tastes are heavier than what's listed above.

Lately though, I'm obsessed with the Velvet Underground and Nico album.

Coincidentally, I got a spam email in my inbox this morning from a "Mark Kohn"... not even making this up.

Reactions: nyrage

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Opeth, "Bleak"...just amazing.
I see Opeth, i upvote too.

The reverb on the vocals on that album are kind of distracting, but its still just so goood. My go-to Opeth album is Watershed. Their last album with the death growls. Not really considered their best, but it was my intro to them, so im partial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad