OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Been listening to Filter’s debut. Underrated 90s album.

That album title doesn't work today. I saw Hired Gun a movie about sideman, replacements, or gig musicians a few years ago. They had a nice Filter segment.

Today's releases I'm excited for:

Zombi-Instrumental futuristic indie space prog rock
Geneveive Artadi-She's mostly known as the singer for Knower with Louis Cole. They have a twisted sense of humor.

Reactions: Bozle

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rod Stewart — and none of that Christmas crap. That is all.

I used to have this joke with my friends when we were in HS about replacing BC/AD with BCTA and ACTA (before and after Crossing The Atlantic) the album that Rod Stewart jumped the shark.

He was awesome back in the day and The Faces were the best.

Reactions: CasusBelli

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I finally got into this album after like 5 years of trying

It was worth going back to it over and over.
This album stands up against any American 20th century work of art. IMO.

Even the cover was made by one of the greatest painters of the 20th (and 21st) century. Just a post-modern American masterpiece.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexisLafreNYR

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Music is my passion
My other 2 kids.

Attachments

• 184816004.jpg
    184816004.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 2

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Also I was just about to bump this thread with this album

I know the Mars Volta is generally more popular but imo ATDI blows them away

Some of this music is forever on my workout running mix.

I don't know your age but there was so much buzz with this band around 2000. Relationship In Command had this vibe where it was primed to be the next Nevermind and change music forever but internal tensions and drugs caused a breakup literally before this band was going to peak.

I got into them the end of that year and they played the Black Cat in DC early 2001, I missed them by two weeks and then they finished that part of the tour and were done.

Sparta came to my school the following year and I saw The Mars Volta probably about 3-4 times when they were touring with RHCP for By The Way and did shows in smaller venues.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If anyone is interested King Buzzo from The Melvins dropped a "solo" album today. Trevor Dunn of Mr. Bungle fame is on it.

Speaking of Bungle, this version has their Easter Bunny demos coming out on Halloween.

Eagerly awaiting new releases from Hiatus Kaiyote a very cool RnB/Jazz/Pop/etc. band, new Deftones which should be announced any week, and an indie dance/funk band Body Language who are from NY and have been inactive the last few years. I thought they were done but they have a new album in October.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Some of this music is forever on my workout running mix.

I don't know your age but there was so much buzz with this band around 2000. Relationship In Command had this vibe where it was primed to be the next Nevermind and change music forever but internal tensions and drugs caused a breakup literally before this band was going to peak.

I got into them the end of that year and they played the Black Cat in DC early 2001, I missed them by two weeks and then they finished that part of the tour and were done.

Sparta came to my school the following year and I saw The Mars Volta probably about 3-4 times when they were touring with RHCP for By The Way and did shows in smaller venues.

I was 5 in 2000 :laugh: I barely even remember how I got exposed to the album, but yea I can totally imagine people flipping the f*** out over this album when it came out. It’s something else. Never heard anything else like it in my life. Every time I revisit it it sounds better than the last listen.

Reactions: Roo Returns

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Also I’ve been playing the basslines on that album and they are giving me carpal tunnel

particularly the verse in pattern against user but that’s my fav song on the album so I’ve been playing it for three days straight trying to get it right lol

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Also I’ve been playing the basslines on that album and they are giving me carpal tunnel

particularly the verse in pattern against user but that’s my fav song on the album so I’ve been playing it for three days straight trying to get it right lol

I could be wrong but based on Paul Hinojos's tone he was playing an active MusicMan Stringray on most of this album. A Fender P at various points too.

I'm a bassist myself so always been partial to them. I can go on a whole bass rant on who I love as players that don't get the props they deserve (Mick Karn, Ronnie Lane, Lamar Williams are immediate three) but if you're into punk/post-punk check out Matt Freeman from Rancid ("Detroit" and "Maxwell Murders") and basically anything Sergio Vega from Quicksand and later Deftones (RIP Chi Cheng) has done. Also Youth/Raven from Killing Joke very different players but equally awesome.

Franz Lyons from Turnstile is a player to watch. He'd be talked about on BFBoards for BPM Corsi if that was a thing (Bass Future lol).

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
A few other mentions:

1. Newest Grimes is interesting. I appreciate her weirdness and ambience/electronic/dance.

2. Newest Tame Impala did nothing for me. I tried but it just goes too far down a different path, and I love when artists take chances and try new stuff and that goes for Slayer, Radiohead, Madonna, even when Chris Cornell did that Timbaland album while most of it didn't work it was interesting. This just sounds like Kevin Parker is trying to get Spotify streams, beer commercial placement, and meet supermodels.

3. Lianne La Havas-Blood..while she just dropped a new album I'm listening to this album and it's pretty good. Less acoustic and more RnB.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I could be wrong but based on Paul Hinojos's tone he was playing an active MusicMan Stringray on most of this album. A Fender P at various points too.

I'm a bassist myself so always been partial to them. I can go on a whole bass rant on who I love as players that don't get the props they deserve (Mick Karn, Ronnie Lane, Lamar Williams are immediate three) but if you're into punk/post-punk check out Matt Freeman from Rancid ("Detroit" and "Maxwell Murders") and basically anything Sergio Vega from Quicksand and later Deftones (RIP Chi Cheng) has done. Also Youth/Raven from Killing Joke very different players but equally awesome.

Franz Lyons from Turnstile is a player to watch. He'd be talked about on BFBoards for BPM Corsi if that was a thing (Bass Future lol).

Oh yay a fellow bassist :) im pretty new and just starting out, only been at it on and off for about a year, but ive really only been playing songs I know. I’m def gonna look into some of your suggestions. I’ve listened to the Killing Joke a few times and I’ve been a fan. Rancid is a band I’ve been meaning to check out for awhile.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Oh yay a fellow bassist :) im pretty new and just starting out, only been at it on and off for about a year, but ive really only been playing songs I know. I’m def gonna look into some of your suggestions. I’ve listened to the Killing Joke a few times and I’ve been a fan. Rancid is a band I’ve been meaning to check out for awhile.

Matt Freeman is an absolute monster as a bassist who plays with only a pick. Even beyond Detroit and Maxwell he's always walking playing these blues/ska lines. I'm a little older than you so I remember when Green Day got big in 1994 that led to Rancid/Bad Religion and even NoFX getting some mainstream recognition (the later never had anything to do with MTV). Rancid had many hits on MTV with Salvation, Ruby Soho, Old Friend, and Freeman plays all over the neck.

I don't know how into Killing Joke you are basically their first three albums was Youth as the bassist and he played more like a Peter Hook or even Barry Adamson from Magazine/Mick Karn from Japan all over the neck, a lot of octaves, fills, and funk. Raven came in for album four and he was equally good but very different. He stayed more in the lower register, tuned down, had a heavier more meat and potatoes approach. They had their biggest hits with him like Eightees and Love Like Blood. Raven would later go on to play with Prong, a metal band in the 90s that is still active today. They had a big hit on MTV late night Headbangers Ball called "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck." (Wow even typing that out, the world of music was so different then) and eventually passed away. Youth has been back in Killing Joke for a few years now and was part of the original lineup that opened for Tool last fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad