“There wasn’t much but I wanted a penalty against Nashville” UPD Tim Peel early retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I did not know that you were a moderator, perhaps you should focus on the post and not the poster.

There’s nothing to focus on because you keep repeating the same empty argument. The onus is on you to provide evidence to rebut Duchene, but you’re a bad faith actor so you can’t and won’t.

Reactions: Coaches Coroner

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
McDavid scoring 70 goals?! The absolute horror. That sounds terribly bland to watch. I know I tune in to watch the best player in the League constantly used as a toboggan or pulling tractor by other less skilled players.

Its fun for fans of one team. Its not fun for the American teams trying to be propped up and have ratings increase to grow the game and all that jazz. Nobody cares about the Oilers outside of their own fan base and maybe the neighboring provinces. The league is a business first and they are still naively trying to grow the game rather then improve their product.

If a guy is Gretzky level torching the franchises that are struggling then it does not help the struggling franchises when they find out the sham of parity and they just can't compete or stop the guy. You give certain markets leverage to get away with more because they need to have a chance to win. You don't run a Billion dollar company based on chance, pro sports are rigged as hell to a point but still entertaining so we put up with it.

Now if you put Mcdavid on the Rangers or Kings maybe you could make an argument that you want to see him torch the league. But since he plays in Canada, him being good is not really that important for the league because Canadians watch hockey regardless. They have to maintain their garbage franchises like Arizona and pretend there is still a chance they can make it in the desert. The NHL is a giant house of cards propped up by phony rules that have different standards based on time of game, opponent, and when in the season it is.

My argument is not defending the refs or the league, by the justification of why they do what they do.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Probably the part where Peel himself says in what was caught " yeah I know it wasn't f***ing much ".
You’re telling me “wasn’t much” means that he made it up?
If we are playing and I give you a light tug around the waist while you are stickhandling, most would say it wasn’t much, but the rules say it’s a hook. Big difference between a ref calling something that wasn’t much and making up a call.

Reactions: thebus88

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don’t know if there is more because they cut it off pretty quick after the F bomb was dropped. I also find it pretty hard to believe that he randomly skated by and said that he wanted to call a penalty on them and kept going. My guess is that there was a conversation going on. Where did he say he made a phantom call? If he did tell them that than why do we not have a clip of an absolutely livid Preds bench?

Bro you can't be for real. I've read like 10 of your posts in here but I just had to respond, you cannot be serious right now. Did you even listen to the audio lol. "It wasn't f***ing much I just wanted to call a penalty on Nashville" and then loses his job the next day. This is the first time I have ever seen ALL of HF, every single fan base, people that hate each other come to an agreement. The refs, and in this case Tim Peel are quite clearly manipulating games, there is no rational way anyone can dispute this now.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
He said "wanted", that is fabricating a penalty...
Without full context and the full conversation, it does not. It could very easily mean Duchene (to pick one Preds player) had been yapping at him and he was sick of it, so instead of letting a penalty slide because it wasn’t that bad, he called it.

Reactions: Faterson

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I don’t know if there is more because they cut it off pretty quick after the F bomb was dropped. I also find it pretty hard to believe that he randomly skated by and said that he wanted to call a penalty on them and kept going. My guess is that there was a conversation going on. Where did he say he made a phantom call? If he did tell them that than why do we not have a clip of an absolutely livid Preds bench?

You do you my friend. I dont want to get sucked into a "is water really wet" debate.
They werent at a dinner party. They werent sitting down for tea. You insisting on an entire transcript for a skate by comment a ref made ... seems odd and just pretext to be contrarian.

We have the hot mic comment, we have video of a phantom call, we have ref fired ... and you still cant comprehend context? Good luck with that.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
Its fun for fans of one team. Its not fun for the American teams trying to be propped up and have ratings increase to grow the game and all that jazz. Nobody cares about the Oilers outside of their own fan base and maybe the neighboring provinces. The league is a business first and they are still naively trying to grow the game rather then improve their product.

If a guy is Gretzky level torching the franchises that are struggling then it does not help the struggling franchises when they find out the sham of parity and they just can't compete or stop the guy. You give certain markets leverage to get away with more because they need to have a chance to win. You don't run a Billion dollar company based on chance, pro sports are rigged as hell to a point but still entertaining so we put up with it.

Now if you put Mcdavid on the Rangers or Kings maybe you could make an argument that you want to see him torch the league. But since he plays in Canada, him being good is not really that important for the league because Canadians watch hockey regardless. They have to maintain their garbage franchises like Arizona and pretend there is still a chance they can make it in the desert. The NHL is a giant house of cards propped up by phony rules that have different standards based on time of game, opponent, and when in the season it is.

My argument is not defending the refs or the league, by the justification of why they do what they do.
Everyone knows why they do it. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s wrong, hinders the on-ice product, and needs to be fixed.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I’ll finish by saying two things:

1) It’s amazing how many people disagree with me wanting context and the full discussion before making up my mind.

2) How many people post about me instead of about my post.

Have a great day, enjoy your righteous indignation.

Reactions: Mitts

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
There should be an asterisk next to that cup win.

In round one, Ference actually made a F you to the crowd after scoring a goal and was never penalized for it. Glove malfunction they called it. Amongst other egregious calls on the way to their cup.
Chara committed the most egregious, dirtiest hit we have seen since Bertuzzi and did not get suspended for it. Referring to the Pacioretty hit.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If we are playing and I give you a light tug around the waist while you are stickhandling, most would say it wasn’t much, but the rules say it’s a hook. Big difference between a ref calling something that wasn’t much and making up a call.
Well you know could it be we were actually watching the play in question and know it wasn't anything to call. Peels statement was this " Yeah I know it wasn't f***ing much but I wanted to give Nashville a call earlier ".

Essentially is he is saying the call normally wouldn't have been made but because he wanted to make a call he just decided to use that as a reason to make a call.

Anyways I have some things to do, for whatever reason you want to defend a Ref that has been known as awful for years and the NHL just sent to the house. You are about the only one that thinks he was ok, including players and his employer.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
You do you my friend. I dont want to get sucked into a "is water really wet" debate.
They werent at a dinner party. They werent sitting down for tea. You insisting on an entire transcript for a skate by comment a ref made ... seems odd and just pretext to be contrarian.

We have the hot mic comment, we have video of a phantom call, we have ref fired ... and you still cant comprehend context? Good luck with that.
Exactly. Ignore button is going to be hot.

1) It’s amazing how many people disagree with me wanting context and the full discussion before making up my mind.

There's no context to give. Nobody will have what you desire.
You are the only one spouting off that there is some phantom context and you won't put actual context clues together to form an argument, no, you just discard whatever whoever else says.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
No, I was pointing out that he is coming from an obvious bias. Perhaps Peel was explaining why he made the call and it was a correct decision to make the call, it Duchesne didn’t like it so he just tells part of the story.

People who use third person tend to use it regularly. I’m betting you find Peel talking to players and referring to them by the team name.

The difference between me and you (and the others that I am referring to in my general comments) is that I prefer to get the full context and the full conversation before I say he is guilty or innocent. You guys grabbed the top the minute this snippet of a conversation went public.

Perhaps he was trying to make up for a bad call with a bad call..... sorry two wrongs don’t make a right

I did not know that you were a moderator, perhaps you should focus on the post and not the poster.

Many, perhaps most penalties are cumulative. This happens every game.

Mmmmmmm... Perhaps indeed.

Reactions: Coaches Coroner

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Without full context and the full conversation, it does not. It could very easily mean Duchene (to pick one Preds player) had been yapping at him and he was sick of it, so instead of letting a penalty slide because it wasn’t that bad, he called it.
Duchene wasn't playing so it wasn't him.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
It was not only about the powerplay minutes. The league literally changed the rulebook between the conference championships and Cup Finals. Bruins were allowed to play 2003 style mug puck and the Canucks were not. It was a sham and everyone knows it.

It’s like believing the Owner’s son is the best employee at the business. Ya I’m sure the Owner doesn’t influence the Manager’s decisions. Especially when their was leaked emails.

The Bruins cup win is the only cup that has an asterisk beside it in my opinion. And I hate the Penguins more than anything.

Reactions: RussianRacket

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
Stupid thing for Peel to say, of course. And he is probably the only ref I know by name, because he is historically bad, and one of those despicable refs who wants to be in the spotlight. So, no sympathy here for him. That being said, don't we as hockey fans expect and encourage some situational penalty calls? Who among us hasn't yelled at the screen and said, "how could they call that penalty there?! It's overtime/the last two minutes/a powerplay already/etc!"? We expect the refs to swallow their whistles when the game is at a crucial time. Or we expect a penalty on our team not to be called because the refs missed one on the opponent to "even it out". And we also expect them to keep the game called evenly, even if one team is playing more reckless or aggressively. Doesn't make it right, but we do.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
It does because as a ref you should be unbiased. Your wants are literally supposed to be irrelevant. And in your scenario, if he wasn't the piece of shit we are all saying he is, he would call the penalty if it was the right call, or not call it if it wasn't. His feelings don't matter...

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

The problem is there isn't consistency. Or at least what is consistent is that they aren't consistent. That minor hook will be called at one point in the game but won't in another. That is the problem being discussed. Why would you call it at one time and not call it when it happened during another time? This happens way too often and it's obvious the reason. They do it at key times in the game where there could be a change in the game for entertainment purposes. They want close games and will manage the games with the refs to do that. That is what is being argued here.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019

Do I have to re-post it? You act like people are acting without precedence or context.

Read the thread. There are references to Campbell influencing officiating decisions in an unethical way in the past. There is a history of Peel admitting to doing this in the past directly to Wyshynski. Fraser admitted as much after his retirement. Nobody is claiming the game is rigged, the issue is that refs for a long time have been focusing on managing games.

And the snippet of Peel saying what he said is available to everyone. Duchene’s statement was a a description of the event that happened, and a statement that he hopes this kind of sentiment doesn’t influence other referees’ decisions. Not an Op-Ed; not much opportunity for a statement of bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad