Friedman: “The only rental who I think is getting a #1 is Kreider”

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Isnt it worth holding on to him at the risk of missing the playoffs?
I'd think so, but then they may be asking "would we rather get something for a guy that will not be back that has serious value, or would we rather maybe make a push for 8th place?"

I'd think they'd consider making a push for 8th with the extra assets Hoffman would return.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Clear sellers of ufas are LA, SJ, Ana, Det, Ott, NJ, Buf, NYR. Likely Mon, Min added to list soon.

so I agree that of all ufas on these teams Kreider would get the highest price. Now, if one of these teams is selling a player with a contract past this season that is a different matter.

every other team is still in the mix.

Minnesota doesn't have UFA's to move.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the thing. I just don't see teams willing to give up a 1st for the rentals out there this year. But someone will give a 1st for a player with term from one of those sellers, meaning one less team looking for a rental. Which further drives down the price for rentals.
Friedman is only talking ufas. Thus he used the word rental.

not a great crop this year.

plus you have teams with ufas that are in the PO mix so they likely are not going to sell. GMs want to make the playoffs.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
They're 5-5-0 in their last 10 games, still 9 points out with multiple teams to pass for a WC spot and Kreider is a UFA who they probably won't re-sign... he's almost certainly getting traded unless the Rangers win at least 6 or 7 of their next 8 games before the deadline and even then he still might move.

wtf????
they'll offer 6.2 x 5 imo
hopefully it is enuf

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Any team who wants a playoff warrior with no quit, who can score timely goals. Also a beast on the PK.
I think whoever gets Pageau is really going to appreciate what he brings.

Oh sure, he is a nice player. But, he isn't up to snuff with the other players who have netted 1st in the last couple seasons.

Reactions: kevrondl

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Go to ~7:45 --> Elliotte Friedman from NHL Hockey on Rogers - Oilers NOW with Bob Stauffer - Omny.fm

He went on to suggest that if Pageau got one, it would likely be a conditional pick. The Panthers might get one for Hoffman, if they make him available.

I found this to be interesting. The rental class is weak. Would the demand still be strong? Would we see the 1st round premium be attached to guys that might not return that pick in a different marketplace? Listening to these Friedman radio spots leading up to the deadline, the answering is trending to be no.

There’s lots of other interesting tidbits throughout that segment. It's well worth listening to the whole thing, imo.

1. Kreider will get more than some very late 1st rounder
2. I don't really know who else is available out there, Pageau is not even close to Kreider.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I feel more and more GM's are getting reluctant to move a 1st in a Cap driven league. Unless it is a true first line player or top pairing D man and your team is that one piece away it is a really tough call.

As for the Rangers and Kreider. The Rangers are going to have about 16.5 mil in cap space with the following top players needing contracts for next season so do the math:
Kreider UFA
Strome RFA
Fast UFA
Lemieux RFA
DeAngelo RFA
Georgiev RFA (possible trade with Shesterkin on board but Georgiev make the least out of all the potential UFA/RFA's and that's if Georgiev only brings back futures or picks in a trade).
Combined they currently make 12.2 mil and all will be getting raises.
I feel the Rangers should resign Kreider and make the tougher decisions on others

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel more and more GM's are getting reluctant to move a 1st in a Cap driven league. Unless it is a true first line player or top pairing D man and your team is that one piece away it is a really tough call.

As for the Rangers and Kreider. The Rangers are going to have about 16.5 mil in cap space with the following top players needing contracts for next season so do the math:
Kreider UFA
Strome RFA
Fast UFA
Lemieux RFA
DeAngelo RFA
Georgiev RFA (possible trade with Shesterkin on board but Georgiev make the least out of all the potential UFA/RFA's and that's if Georgiev only brings back futures or picks in a trade).
Combined they currently make 12.2 mil and all will be getting raises.
I feel the Rangers should resign Kreider and make the tougher decisions on others
Too many teams packed together. Think just 5 have 70 points or more. The next 12-15 teams are within 6 points of each other.

unlikely a tdl move will push you over the top.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I agree with a conditional 1st for pageau unless it's a very late 1st (20th +)

Edit: Shit forgot about Vatanen. If he goes I'm guessing he gets an unconditional 1st

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As much as I'd love Kreider in TB, I don't get why the Rangers would trade him when they have a similarly aged player in Panarin locked down for the foreseeable future. I don't know how you can walk backward and forward at the same time.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Only a few teams make sense to move a first:

- Pittsburgh
- Boston
- Washington
- St. Louis
- Tampa
- Carolina (only because they have two)

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'm still not sure why the Rangers wouldn't just re-sign him, especially if they think they can compete sooner rather than later.

If he really likes it in NY and wants to stay, they could work out trading him for a first and then re-signing him in the offseason.

It's not super common, but it has been done before.

Reactions: egelband

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's hard to see this year as anything other than a buyer's market.

Limited cap space, bunch of teams that should be selling, a select few with a realistic shot at the cup, somewhat uninspiring rental class, and what is supposed to be a deep draft.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Why would the Panthers move Hoffman for futures?

Like, they arent exactly locked in to a playoff spot

As one of the top offensive teams in the league, they probably don't have plans to allot the cap space required to retain him so they might as well get some futures for him and then use the freed up cap to improve their team defence, which is an area of some concern.

Sounds like smart management to me.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They're 9 points out with 29 to go. They're done.
That's less than 5 more wins than the team they're chasing. Yes, probably out, but definitely doable in 29 games. Just don't think Nyr aren't that team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Goodness, if pageau doesn't warrant a 1st as a 20 goal guy plus proven playoff performer, I dont really understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad