Friedman: “The only rental who I think is getting a #1 is Kreider”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
It's a safe bet to think only he'd get one, but who knows how desperate some teams could get

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
It's all good. Judging by the name you should remember the last German selected at 3rd.

I can settle with Stutzle. It's 4th that would suck.
Oh yeah Tim Stutzle man if you guys can get him that would be amazing for the future. Zadina and stutzle is a good start but obviously Lafren would be way better

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This isn’t surprising. Less and less 1st rounders get traded each year. Add in the fact that this years rental crop is terrible and it makes sense.

Reactions: DaveG

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I'm still not sure why the Rangers wouldn't just re-sign him, especially if they think they can compete sooner rather than later. He's almost certainly better than whoever they'll draft with the pick they'll get and next year will be his age 29 season so he's not exactly over the hill.

Looking at their cap situation it seems like they could absorb a new Kreider contract and while 2020-21 might be tight, they have ~$10mm in useless contracts off the books in 2021 when Smith and Staal become UFAs. With Lias Andersson looking like a total bust and Kakko and Chytil on the NHL roster the only forward prospect they seem to need a spot for in the near future is Kravstov, right?

Would love to see him shipped out of the division and preferably the conference as well and maybe I'm missing something but Kreider seems like a guy I'd want to keep.

For example if they traded Kreider to Tampa he would be a UFA at seasons end. What is the issue there

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Clear sellers of ufas are LA, SJ, Ana, Det, Ott, NJ, Buf, NYR. Likely Mon, Min added to list soon.

so I agree that of all ufas on these teams Kreider would get the highest price. Now, if one of these teams is selling a player with a contract past this season that is a different matter.

every other team is still in the mix.
That's the thing. I just don't see teams willing to give up a 1st for the rentals out there this year. But someone will give a 1st for a player with term from one of those sellers, meaning one less team looking for a rental. Which further drives down the price for rentals.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I still have a feeling Rangers might end up keeping Kreider tbh

I don't think so, they're still building towards something bigger and those assets are too valuable at this point.

I do however think it could be a rare scenario where the player signs back with the team that trades him in the summer. He sees the Rangers are taking steps forward and has already been part of it, plus i doubt there's anywhere else he'd want to live at this point.

Could be a handshake thing which both sides are comfortable doing. Kreider gets a chance to win, Rangers get assets back that help the team out, talk contract later.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I'm still not sure why the Rangers wouldn't just re-sign him, especially if they think they can compete sooner rather than later. He's almost certainly better than whoever they'll draft with the pick they'll get and next year will be his age 29 season so he's not exactly over the hill.

Looking at their cap situation it seems like they could absorb a new Kreider contract and while 2020-21 might be tight, they have ~$10mm in useless contracts off the books in 2021 when Smith and Staal become UFAs. With Lias Andersson looking like a total bust and Kakko and Chytil on the NHL roster the only forward prospect they seem to need a spot for in the near future is Kravstov, right?

Would love to see him shipped out of the division and preferably the conference as well and maybe I'm missing something but Kreider seems like a guy I'd want to keep.

Why re-sign him now? The Rangers are almost assuredly out of the playoff race at this moment - that won't change. Flip him for assets, and let him know on the way out that we're happy to talk about a contract as soon as the window opens at the end of the season.

He's not getting 8 years and the Rangers aren't getting in the playoffs. That ends the list of reasons to sign him today instead of July 1 if we want to keep him.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Why re-sign him now? The Rangers are almost assuredly out of the playoff race at this moment - that won't change. Flip him for assets, and let him know on the way out that we're happy to talk about a contract as soon as the window opens at the end of the season.

He's not getting 8 years and the Rangers aren't getting in the playoffs. That ends the list of reasons to sign him today instead of July 1 if we want to keep him.

Pretty much.

Of course there's a possibility that the team that trades for him manages to convince Kreider to stay and sign with them, but it's not like the Rangers future depends on him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Genuine question: when was the last time a player was traded at the deadline and then came back to the team that traded him the following offseason to sign a long-term deal?

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I always thought with the number of picks Ottawa had, they would do a Pageau + Conditional 2nd, for a 1st.

If the team makes it to the Conference Finals, Ottawa gets the 1st outright, otherwise they give up one of their 2nd Rd Picks.

Easier pill for whoever is trading for him to swallow, and Ottawa still gets what they want in return.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Genuine question: when was the last time a player was traded at the deadline and then came back to the team that traded him the following offseason to sign a long-term deal?

Vermette, I think.

It doesn't matter; if the Rangers are not going to make the playoffs and will not give him 8 years (which, both are true), then the move is to sell him and leave the door open.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Elliotte friedman is an idiot and a liar....Taylor Hall a rental already got a 1st.

Ok, let it all out. Bottling up that anger is really unhealthy.

We all know that, but why would Friedman be discussing what has already happened with Hall 2 months ago when talking about what is going to happen up to the deadline?

Reactions: UnSandvich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad