Post-Game Talk: “The Oilers are winning this now” - @gordonhught - @Cloned

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
2nd GA was garbage. He also got beat twice clean on goals that were thankfully disallowed. And the big issue with Campbell isn’t bad goals against. It’s that he’s allergic to making difficult saves.

The man does not make the big save when there is a breakdown. If there is a grade A chance against he is letting it in. Worst goalie in the league at making high danger saves.
Make no mistake, I think Campbell is junk as well. The 2nd goal was pure fluke though.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
3 points from Mcleod and a big goal from Holloway.

It's amazing how 4 points from the lesser lights makes all the difference in an unlikely comeback--even against a world class goalie.

When the Oilers finally stop relying on Mc-Drai to generate offense every night then a long winning streak will ensue. You simply can't underestimate balanced contributions.

Dressing up in costumes, playing silly games...
Sounds like the last days of the unicorns.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Funny enough, Markstrom isn't doing any better at .889. Not worried too much on this. Campbell will get it together. We all know Goaltending is a crapshoot.
I am worried about it, but still cheering the guy on. He's shown in flashes he can be brilliant in the past so there's no reason not to hope he can return to form.

In the interim - Skinner is doing a great job as back-up.

I didn't watch the game today as was out with the kids. Glad to see in the highlights they pulled it off. The Islanders game was heartbreaking to watch.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Skinners numbers are holding just fine.

You’re severely underplaying how atrocious Jack Campbells numbers are. He is far, far worse than Koskinen ever was and it’s not even close.
Skinners numbers also includes this stat 4 wins, 5 losses.
Campbell includes this stat 7 wins, 5 losses.

Look Skinner has had some very nice games but he’s starting to look a little less incredible, Campbell has not been good enough, and his save percentage is really bad but somehow it’s also delivering a higher points percentage than Skinner.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Skinners numbers also includes this stat 4 wins, 5 losses.
Campbell includes this stat 7 wins, 5 losses.

Look Skinner has had some very nice games but he’s starting to look a little less incredible, Campbell has not been good enough, and his save percentage is really bad but somehow it’s also delivering a higher points percentage than Skinner.

If a goalie has a noticeable better save percentage and goals-against average but a worse point percentage, it's something not related to the goaltender.

Reactions: Satire

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
If a goalie has a noticeable better save percentage and goals-against average but a worse point percentage, it's something not related to the goaltender.
Are you suggesting the Oilers have somehow been a better team in front of Campbell than Skinner? I‘m genuinely curious about this, it’s honestly a weird stat going on here.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Are you suggesting the Oilers have somehow been a better team in front of Campbell than Skinner? I‘m genuinely curious about this, it’s honestly a weird stat going on here.
The numbers make it obvious. Campbell has a horrendous sv% but he has a winning record.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The thing with penalty kill is that you WILL give up high danger chances against simply b/c you're down a guy. Removing that and just looking at 5v5 play takes away a very important and very significant sample size, and with the full sample size Toronto allowed 53 less than us.

As for comparison within the team itself. Skinner actually faces a higher HDCA/60 than Campbell with 88 in 583 mins overall vs 94 in 668 mins at all strengths and 67 in 471 mins vs 65 in 519 mins at 5v5. It's just one guy can be trusted to make those saves while the other cannot so we can play looser with Skinner and generate more chances both ways.
I think you are actually making the argument for me. 53 HD shots per season is not enough of a difference to account for the massive drop in his save %. It is .65 HD shot per game. Say he was to play 50 games in a year, That is 33 more HD shots over the course of a year. His HDSV% over the two years in To was .822. Those extra 33 HD shots per year would have meant 6 more GA on the year. That would have dropped his Sv% in TO from .916 to roughly .913.

Campbell has been an NHL goalie for a while now. But his current numbers are simply not consistent with an NHL goalie. You are correct that he has always had a lower HDSV% and as such might very well not have been the best choice for the Oilers, but it is clear that what is happening now is completely anomalous to what one would expect.

Frankly, I was worried about any of the guys the Oilers were interested in. Goalies for me are totally voodoo. There are only a handful in the whole league you can point to and say this guy WILL be solid. Any big contract you give out has teh potential to go sour fast. And that has me worried with Skinner as well. If he continues to play very well this year will Holland blow all his cap space extending him based on one year?

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm pretty sure the argument for Koski was it's actually the goalie subliminally making the team play worse in front of him, so still technically the goalie's fault. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Senor Catface

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I think you are actually making the argument for me. 53 HD shots per season is not enough of a difference to account for the massive drop in his save %. It is .65 HD shot per game. Say he was to play 50 games in a year, That is 33 more HD shots over the course of a year. His HDSV% over the two years in To was .822. Those extra 33 HD shots per year would have meant 6 more GA on the year. That would have dropped his Sv% in TO from .916 to roughly .913.

Campbell has been an NHL goalie for a while now. But his current numbers are simply not consistent with an NHL goalie. You are correct that he has always had a lower HDSV% and as such might very well not have been the best choice for the Oilers, but it is clear that what is happening now is completely anomalous to what one would expect.

Frankly, I was worried about any of the guys the Oilers were interested in. Goalies for me are totally voodoo. There are only a handful in the whole league you can point to and say this guy WILL be solid. Any big contract you give out has teh potential to go sour fast. And that has me worried with Skinner as well. If he continues to play very well this year will Holland blow all his cap space extending him based on one year?
Yeah Campbell is definitely playing much worse than anyone could've imagined. I wrote this offseason that I thought he'd put up somewhere around Koskinen/non-bubble smith numbers while being less likely to give up those backbreaking softies than smithkinen. Turns out he gives up those same softies as the two headed "monster" while also not being able to make the big saves they can. Some of the shit he does is mind boggling man. Like the dude looks at his glove after high glove side goals against b/c he thinks the puck went through his glove.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Just watched this game. Nice one!

Somehow reminded me of a similar Edm @ NYR game in November 1986 (36 years ago this month) when the Oil were struggling a bit and needed a win. They got way down 5-1 in the 2nd period and then came back to win 8-6.)

I thought Campbell was fine. No sense over-analyzing this. He's been very good in exactly half of his games this season, and he's a decent 7-5 on the season (a better record, amazingly, than Skinner). I would say he's been good in three of his last four starts. Just needs to get full confidence back.

Let's hope Bouchard has his confidence back and will start getting lots of shots on net now.

Oh, and I thought Tyson Barrie was really good! Yeah, he got caught pinching on the third NYR goal, but I can kind of forgive that since they were down by two and needed some offense. And he was good offensively -- one of the few Oilers generating good stuff in the first two periods. He ended up -1 and had no points on the night, but mainly I thought he was great. (Conversely, Ceci had kind of a rough night.)

But something I would like to now say about an Oilers' / Sportsnet broadcaster...

1669561277264.png

That man!...

...must never, ever again make a pop culture reference while broadcasting a game. Just no, Jack. No.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
3 points from Mcleod and a big goal from Holloway.

It's amazing how 4 points from the lesser lights makes all the difference in an unlikely comeback--even against a world class goalie.

When the Oilers finally stop relying on Mc-Drai to generate offense every night then a long winning streak will ensue. You simply can't underestimate balanced contributions.

Sounds like the last days of the unicorns.
I'm not getting the reference at all. Neither are you apparently.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Great battle back and comeback win. Shocking.

Bottom 6 had themselves quite a game. Awesome that Bouch finally got shots on net and scored. And congrats to Hollywood on his first. I hope Foegele is OK. He's been a beast this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad