Post-Game Talk: “Okay campers, rise, and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there…“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Penguins style or identity is not based speed.

Our identity is an aggressive forecheck and defense pinching that tries to overwhelm teams and controlling the possession.

Crosby's line against McKinnon dominated possession last night especially in the first. They (avs) capitalized on the chances they had though one time not against the crosby line.
Mike Sullivan let Mac’s line go out against L4…he was outcoached, as he’s been regularly recently…the Avs made adjustments coming into the second period, Pens made none

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Keyboard Experts..."factor on the boards" = hitting. Simon and ZAR were good on the cycle along the boards.

You have to be astute though to realize that though. My bar of hockey talk is a lot higher I guess.
I described a lot more than hitting. Vanilla player who will not be missed. The Pens issues are jumbled lines and inconsistent play. Fix those and we have a good chance to win at least two rounds. Sullivan won't fix the lines so I think we'll be out in the first round against any good team.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sure, other players can do it well, also.

Why not? What's your theory?

The two most recent Rangers games were both after the trade deadline.

You’re right re Rangers game…I’ll counter then with Nashville, Carolina, Florida games—all teams that are fast with a good forecheck as well…EDIT: my theory about why they can’t play for 60 minutes is that they’re old! Lol

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It’s tough and you feel icky when you have to agree with Mark Madden….

“The Penguins’ style is based on speed. But the Rangers are faster. When the teams play, the Penguins are too often chasing the game.

Penguins coach Mike Sullivan won’t pursue a Plan B. Live by speed, die by speed. Perhaps the Penguins can find another gear.”

Goes on to raise the Lemieux anecdote where they switched up to play the trap to win the PO series against the Caps
Madden is right. I just posted about the way Rangers are working, just pinch, fast, forecheck, make turnover ,get possession. Our dman sucks in skating to the puck and skating out with the puck, that won't change...so your only chance is to hit hard in their zone, all four line must have strong F1 that can slow them down and F2 that can support...without that wash rinse repeat...

Reactions: Andy99

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
The forecheck has its moments but the struggles have nothing to do with the run of the mill players that were traded. Changing 3 of the 4 lines every three seconds might have something to do with the lack of chemistry and unified play we've seen. Only one line on this team stays together. I'll wait for you to post the Cup or deep run we have ever made while changing lines so much from game to game for everyone line but the first.
Does anyone else find it funny that a main criticism earlier in the season was that the lines weren't being changed up enough and now a main criticism is that they are being changed too often?
What do you think the right amount of time to keep a line together is? And do you keep them together for that optimal amount of time if they end up being a horrific combination?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
They were two of the team's best forecheckers.
Were they? Better than Rust, McGinn, even ERod? I don't think so. Sully suddenly deciding that Zohorna is no good, Carter should play on L2 and the PK as if he is 27 rather than 37, and the 4th line should barely play is on him, not on the absence of the oh so important ZAR and Simon.

Also, correlation is not causation, since the trade deadline we have played mostly against very good teams. You know, the kind of teams that made ZAR and Simon play mostly in their own zone too. We have seen what ZAR does against such teams in the playoffs - big fat nothing.

Last but not least, with the playoff "race" being what it is and no weak opponents in the top 8 in the East, it's not exactly shocking that the Penguins are complacent. The problem is they tend to do it in the playoffs too, albeit to a lesser extent. But thinking that the current slump is down to the lack of ZAR and Simon is forgetting the very similar slumps (right before the Covid shutdown, for example) the Pens have had over the last few seasons.

Reactions: Andy99

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I described a lot more than hitting. Vanilla player who will not be missed. The Pens issues are jumbled lines and inconsistent play. Fix those and we have a good chance to win at least two rounds. Sullivan won't fix the lines so I think we'll be out in the first round against any good team.

You don't know what you're watching. Agree to disagree. But blame the coach. He's the only reason we're not fighting for a wildcard. You're poor on analysis and understanding. Stick to video game management.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
NZ clog would slow their transition game and if we could generate some turnovers we would some good chances to plop in a goal…I think that’s a better strategy than play them straight up…in case you haven’t noticed, we’re icing a lot of mid-30s players and the reason for that is that we don’t have better replacements for them…no young fresh skilled legs are coming lol…
I understand but forecheck is not just predicated on speed..Boyle is good at it, Simon was good at it, its getting to the place covering space, working sticks like maniac...I feel its more of a strong desire and will than pure speed...also Zohorna is much better than Angelo slowing down their transition, there are others that can do the work...clogging NZ, they will just dump it behind and get to work against our dman who suck...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I hate the yearly, old reliable Penguin fan talking point of “switching to the trap, it worked for Lemieux over 30 years ago.” Game has changed, it’s not relevant.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I understand but forecheck is not just predicated on speed..Boyle is good at it, Simon was good at it, its getting to the place covering space, working sticks like maniac...I feel its more of a strong desire and will than pure speed...also Zohorna is much better than Angelo slowing down their transition, there are others that can do the work...clogging NZ, they will just dump it behind and get to work against our dman who suck...
Well we don’t work as five man teams either anymore…that’s part of the problem

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Mike Sullivan let Mac’s line go out against L4…he was outcoached, as he’s been regularly recently…the Avs made adjustments coming into the second period, Pens made none

See you don't watch the games like I do. L4 was on because of an icing. That's why the Avs were able to do that.

I saw that from Row A last night. You're picking out one instance to drive a narrative but people like me can pick a part your flimsy argument.

People that post 100+ times during a game thread aren't really watching the game.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Does anyone else find it funny that a main criticism earlier in the season was that the lines weren't being changed up enough and now a main criticism is that they are being changed too often?
What do you think the right amount of time to keep a line together is? And do you keep them together for that optimal amount of time if they end up being a horrific combination?

The keyboard experts are hypocrites. Its not funny its sad. Because the outspoken mob mentality believes this.

They are miserable and just spam up the messageboard.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
You don't know what you're watching. Agree to disagree. But blame the coach. He's the only reason we're not fighting for a wildcard. You're poor on analysis and understanding. Stick to video game management.
I don't play video games. Hockey is a what you have done lately profession. Sullivan has done nothing in the playoffs of note in four years. Time's up, or it should be. We had plenty of time to try new lines and instead we will roll with the stale GCR and three other lines that don't fit and change constantly. We will also not match lines, he hasn't done it since he took over. We also won't change how we play, despite not being good enough to only win one way. He should be on a short leash.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I don't play video games. Hockey is a what you have done lately profession. Sullivan has done nothing in the playoffs of note in four years. Time's up, or it should be. We had plenty of time to try new lines and instead we will roll with the stale GCR and three other lines that don't fit and change constantly. We will also not match lines, he hasn't done it since he took over. We also won't change how we play, despite not being good enough to only win one way. He should be on a short leash.

Wow are you hiring from behind your computer screen?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
The difference is that the other lines are being changed to keep one together. We have combinations that are proven to work and would give us more balance but Sid has to have both the best wingers on the team. Just admit that this isn't about what's best for the team, it's about catering to the best player because he's the best player. As long as we're clear on that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
See you don't watch the games like I do. L4 was on because of an icing. That's why the Avs were able to do that.

I saw that from Row A last night. You're picking out one instance to drive a narrative but people like me can pick a part your flimsy argument.

People that post 100+ times during a game thread aren't really watching the game.
Lol…I posted maybe 10-15 times in the GDT, you got the wrong guy…yes, and Sullivan had a choice after that icing and he chose to put that line out…he didn’t play matchup all night…Colorado was playing chess to his checkers

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Every team has complaints this time of year in the East about the motivation of certain stars with the playoffs practically secured….here you go lol

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Lol…I posted maybe 10-15 times in the GDT, you got the wrong guy…yes, and Sullivan had a choice after that icing and he chose to put that line out…he didn’t play matchup all night…Colorado was playing chess to his checkers

What shift are you talking about? I'm talking about the shift we iced the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad