Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

This sure is in the realm of possibility. Timmins did call this draft "the year of the defensemen" and they sure appeared to pay a lot of attention to Bouchard at the combine for a team that planned to draft a forward.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This.

If they truly have interest in rebuilding or stocking up on picks and prospects, getting picky with position seems like a mistake. If they believe another player is better, then I'm all for them grabbing their guy. But just to draft another guy for the sake of not drafting a winger is the wrong way to go.
Rebuilding in the definitive term is the mistake. Rebuilding means trading Shea Weber and/or Carey Price who will both be well into their 30s by the time the Habs see an uptick from whatever 'rebuild' moves they make from this point on. No one is giving them top dollar for these two players with significant salary owed. Galchenyuk, Drouin and Gallagher aren't likely to draw what would be expected from their fan-base. A rebuild immediately after trading away Subban and Sergachev for Weber and Drouin makes absolutely no sense. Doing so with the same manager who made those trades is pure stupidity.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Why do they need a smokescreen to get one of the D-men... Carolina isn't taking anybody but Svechnikov.

Pretending that they want really Kotkaniemi so a team picking after that really wants him trades up to secure it and they trade down a bit to take a Dman they wanted in the first place and get a +?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why do so many people think that Weber has no trade value? It's nonsense. Yes, there's lots of years left on his contract but the way it's structured, he most likely will not finish out. He will make 1 million per year the last 3 years. On top of that, if he retires before the end of it, the penalty will 100% be on Nashville. He has a lot more value than you think.
Because his contract is buyout proof. There are several years of stiff financial penalties should a team decide to buyout his contract. There's also no guarantee he's going to outright retire when that time comes. He's still a high-end defenseman but he's a significant cap commitment in the salary cap era.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Because his contract is buyout proof. There are several years of stiff financial penalties should a team decide to buyout his contract. There's also no guarantee he's going to outright retire when that time comes. He's still a high-end defenseman but he's a significant cap commitment in the salary cap era.

Weber's contract is scary to Nashville and Nashville only. If you actually believe that Weber will keep playing hockey in his late 30's for 1M a year in salary while carrying a 8M cap hit for his team you're out of your mind.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Probably a good move. Not sure that the Habs fanbase would be as receptive to a "scorched earth" rebuild as HF fans, they've had success too recently for that, IMO. Just keeping picks/prospects and stockpiling youth isn't the pretty/fast solution, but it'll help the franchise. I think they'd do well to sign a number of UFAs to short term deals and sell them at the deadline like TO did, to speed up the process.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
A rebuild for the Canadiens is needed. Don't think Price's contract gets traded but I can see teams having interest in guys like Patches, Gally and Petry.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
How likely are they to part with Drouin? And if so, what sort of return would they be looking for. Would be a great addition to the secondary scoring for the Stars

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To who and for what?

Easy to say tradable but hard to come up with workable examples. His contract is epically bad......as is Price’s contract

He's still a very good 1st pairing RHD carrying a 7.8M' cap hit and only making 6M a year in real salary. What's so scary about that? The cap recapture when he retires in 5-6 years is Nashville's problem.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
To who and for what?

Easy to say tradable but hard to come up with workable examples. His contract is epically bad......as is Price’s contract

A team who thinks that they're one 1st pairing right handed D away from contending will make the move for futures. Again, the contract is bad for Nashville, no one else really. If his team decides to send him to the AHL, do you think he'll ride the bus for a million dollars per year? At that point, his career earnings will be well over 100 million dollars.

Last edited:

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
How likely are they to part with Drouin? And if so, what sort of return would they be looking for. Would be a great addition to the secondary scoring for the Stars

Would likely have to be an over payment honestly. I think he'd do wonders on a team like Dallas or the Avs with less pressure. So much skill and so good on the PP.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Pretending that they want really Kotkaniemi so a team picking after that really wants him trades up to secure it and they trade down a bit to take a Dman they wanted in the first place and get a +?
Nobody trading up to the 3rd is taking Kotkaniemi, so nobody is going to try and secure it. They will take Zadina if they trade up and then Montreal can take their D man.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Pretty sure they are going to go with kotkaniemi.

They never told the media they were going for him, so I don't buy the smokescreen argument

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
A rebuild for the Canadiens is needed. Don't think Price's contract gets traded but I can see teams having interest in guys like Patches, Gally and Petry.

I'd keep Gallagher since he's only 25 and on a great contract who should be the next captain and a good example for the younger players coming. Keeping some youngish vets to provide leadership and to help show the way to the young players would be a smart move.

Although if the Habs are fully committed to re-building Gallagher should have a fair amount of value especially after the season he just had plus his great contract and should get some very good assets in any trade involving him. Having Marc Bergevin running the ship though makes me really nervous.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Would likely have to be an over payment honestly. I think he'd do wonders on a team like Dallas or the Avs with less pressure. So much skill and so good on the PP.

Fair enough. Should be young enough to last the rebuild as well, so very understandable

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m not a Habs fan but the Weber Subban trade really bothers me. I still can’t understand the move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad