Post-Game Talk: “DP for the win” • Oilers win 6-3

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It should be required for charities to disclose the information on where the money is going and how much is actually going to the charity vs the people running the charity. Some people would be disgusted if they found out how little actually went to the charity for most charities.

Disclosure is required. It really depends on the form of disclosure though. All charities legally have to provide their statements if someone goes through the request process. That isn't great, but it is something. The last set of statements for ECF that I could find was for 2017 fiscal year.

It looks like the ECF gives a lot of money to that Inner City High School.

37% of their donations went to administration in 2016-17 which is on the high end. In comparison 18% of donations to the United Way of Northern Alberta goes to administration, 45% of YESS donations go to administration and 7% of donations to Edmonton's food ban goes to administration.

Since it is in the news 10% of WE charity donations go to administration, although they haven't released financial statements in 18 months.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Disclosure is required. It really depends on the form of disclosure though. All charities legally have to provide their statements if someone goes through the request process. That isn't great, but it is something. The last set of statements for ECF that I could find was for 2017 fiscal year.

It looks like the ECF gives a lot of money to that Inner City High School.

37% of their donations went to administration in 2016-17 which is on the high end. In comparison 18% of donations to the United Way of Northern Alberta goes to administration, 45% of YESS donations go to administration and 7% of donations to Edmonton's food ban goes to administration.

Since it is in the news 10% of WE charity donations go to administration, although they haven't released financial statements in 18 months.

45% of YESS? Wow.

Also, if Edmonton has a food ban I'm moving to St. Albert. :sarcasm:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
45% of YESS? Wow.

I wonder if part of it is to run that building and the people required to run it.Seems a bit more admin intensive than most charities

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I wonder if part of it is to run that building and the people required to run it.Seems a bit more admin intensive than most charities

YESS has only published statements up to its 2018 fiscal year. They reported $4.3 M in total revenue that year. $3.7 M (86%) went to wages and benefits. $250K went to 'facilities' plus $200K to amortization which should mostly be a building expense. They don't provide a breakdown of wages and benefits specific to running the building. They also report $365k in administrative expenses.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Did McDavid work on his shooting during the break? I've never seen him snipe so consistently before. 3 out of his 4 goals so far are perfect top corner shots.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Did McDavid work on his shooting during the break? I've never seen him snipe so consistently before. 3 out of his 4 goals so far are perfect top corner shots.
I was thinking about this last night. Remember when he used to somewhat struggle when he was in alone? He would always seem to make a sick move then get stuffed by the pads. Now he seems to roof daddy it and score every time.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
why would we disagree?
Ennis goal, McD hatty goal and Neal goal were mistakes by CHI side and nothing special from us. Neal showed the most skill and presence of mind.
As long as Burnside can admit that Oilers finally started playing playoffs hockey and physically imposing their will on Hawks I am good.
Skill wise there is parity between both teams and anyone can beat the other on a given night. Hawks are just as good a team as Oilers despite the difference in standings. Crawford had a Smith'ish game last night and got lit up.

O credit given to the Oilers or McDavid. None.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
45% of YESS? Wow.

YESS requires a lot of administration. I’ve worked very closely with them in the past as a donor among many others. Sometimes people who don’t work with charities are way too quick to criticize them all in a blanket statement and paint them all with the same brush. Are there some charities that are quasi scams? Yes. That doesn’t make them all the same. No different than anything.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
YESS requires a lot of administration. I’ve worked very closely with them in the past as a donor among many others. Sometimes people who don’t work with charities are way too quick to criticize them all in a blanket statement and paint them all with the same brush. Are there some charities that are quasi scams? Yes. That doesn’t make them all the same. No different than anything.

Fair enough. :)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

YESS runs different programs as you know, not just the shelter. Day programs, educational programming, community programming, transition housing (I think they still do) Thats a modest, and reasonable admin cut and from experience some of that was going into dipping into expenses to feed people lunches at times when the donations were short on covering that. At least used to be the case. They used to run a pretty tight ship, probably still similar now. For the profession the staff are paid generally entry level wages into the field. Much of the operation is by volunteer efforts.

I'd certainly consider YESS a very worthy donation. Have done so.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
YESS runs different programs as you know, not just the shelter. Day programs, educational programming, community programming, transition housing (I think they still do) Thats a modest, and reasonable admin cut and from experience some of that was going into dipping into expenses to feed people lunches at times when the donations were short on covering that. At least used to be the case. They used to run a pretty tight ship, probably still similar now. For the profession the staff are paid generally entry level wages into the field. Much of the operation is by volunteer efforts.

I'd certainly consider YESS a very worthy donation. Have done so.

The STAR program they run is excellent and I would encourage any employers that can to check this program out. Help save a life.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
fxTthpF.mp4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad