Post-Game Talk: “DP for the win” • Oilers win 6-3

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure if this was mentioned, but man, that was hokey with the girl throwing a few hats on the ice when McDavid got his 3rd goal. I know they want to try to make this as realistic as possible, but that was lame staging.

I absolutely mocked it. McD wasn't even impressed with it. It was sublimely silly. Just when we've seen everything, an artificial cordon of paid ushers throwing hats. It was super surreal. One of those moments where you just shake your head.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I absolutely mocked it. McD wasn't even impressed with it. It was sublimely silly. Just when we've seen everything, an artificial cordon of paid ushers throwing hats. It was super surreal. One of those moments where you just shake your head.
Yup, they've taken a spontaneous moment when a bunch of people that have drunk too much alcohol lose their inhibitions and minds and chuck their $30 hats on the ice in a moment of unbridled enthusiastic jubilation and ecstasy, and tried to replicate it with a sanitized choreographed paid employee to walk calmly down to the ice surface a full minute after the goal is scored and toss some new hats on the ice. I'm sure she felt a little weird and embarrassed doing it, but what the hell, she got paid for it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I literally cringed when I saw it. Good on McDavid for calling it out.

I wonder if every team in the hub brought hats just for this purpose. I really hope not.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yup, they've taken a spontaneous moment when a bunch of people that have drunk too much alcohol lose their inhibitions and minds and chuck their $30 hats on the ice in a moment of unbridled enthusiastic jubilation and ecstasy, and tried to replicate it with a sanitized choreographed paid employee to walk calmly down to the ice surface a full minute after the goal is scored and toss some new hats on the ice. I'm sure she felt a little weird and embarrassed doing it, but what the hell, she got paid for it.

After they collected the hats they put them back in the Oilers store to sell when the arena opens to fans again.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
The artificial fanfare was fantastic, wasn't it?

ZomboMeme 04082020200230.jpg

Reactions: TB12 and TheRebuild

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
The source I used was Charity Intelligence.

Thanks. That site combines Admin costs with Fundraising Costs in its metric, which is slightly misleading in my opinion (while fundraising costs don't go "directly" to the cause, it's necessary to raise the required funds that do).

Edit: reading the information further, I would highly recommend not using this website. It "rates" charities on a scale, but requires you to pay to see their rating. All charity information is publicly available for free, and speaking from experience, the charities are not consulted on these summaries despite suggesting so on the website. The website is also reading financial statements incorrectly.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That site combines Admin costs with Fundraising Costs in its metric, which is slightly misleading in my opinion (while fundraising costs don't go "directly" to the cause, it's necessary to raise the required funds that do).

Ideally the fundraising and admin costs would be split out independently. I find the financial statements for many in the charitable sector to be ... odd to put it mildly. I do know from my volunteer work and work in business that the deal with charities.

I became aware of the work of CI because of the WE stuff. Talk about some sketchy and opaque financial statements. When one of those Kielburgers claimed the impairment on one of the loans was because of changing their fiscal year end I just shook my hea.

Last edited by a moderator:

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I literally cringed when I saw it. Good on McDavid for calling it out.

I wonder if every team in the hub brought hats just for this purpose. I really hope not.

I don’t even think McDavid would normally be that pissed at it, if this happened the game before you probably would’ve heard the standard Connor McDavid diplomatic answer (it’s all about the fans...makes the experience more accessible etc.)

But that man was straight up surly last night, right from the warmup.

If he’s able to keep that intensity and rage straight through this postseason then everyone should be on notice. He is a man on a mission right now.

Reactions: yukoner88 and shoop

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Anyone see today's press conference? Our press is brutal. A string of dumb questions. Every day it's the same shit. How is Terry Jones still allowed to ask questions??

80% questions are about McDavid. And the answers have been the same for the past 4 years. Yet they keep asking they same, low-effort, moronic questions. All variations of "how great is McDavid?"

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Anyone see today's press conference? Our press is brutal. A string of dumb questions. Every day it's the same shit. How is Terry Jones still allowed to ask questions??

80% questions are about McDavid. And the answers have been the same for the past 4 years. Yet they keep asking they same, low-effort, moronic questions. All variations of "how great is McDavid?"

Our press are embarrassing and Jones should have his pass taken away and send him the f*** home.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

RNH looks like he buffed up his upper body a bit. Or maybe it’s just the stache, lol.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad